Jun 11, 2007
South Carolina
Parrots
one Male red-sided Eclectus
four parakeets
seven cockatiels
two cats
two chinchillas
Hey everyone, For once I have a question about another bird other than my eclectus. Today I was checking on my lovebirds (we have three in one cage) and noticed that the female was laying in the cuddle hut on two eggs! Now, the people we got them from at the bird show supposedly sexed them by hand...but I'm still not sure if the other two are male or female.

The basic question is...how do we know if these eggs are fertilized or not? The cuddle hut was just for sleeping, not a nursery! (or love shack haha) What do we do? Just let her be with the eggs and see what happens? If they are fertilized and do hatch...I've never weaned a baby bird before.

I know this could be a false alarm. We have a cockatiel that lays an egg or two once a year. I also don't want her to get egg bound. These guys don't eat fruits and veggies...but they do have cuttlebone....any suggestions?

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
I am not sure that there is any way to tell if the eggs are fertile except for trying to "candle" them .. give the eggs about a week to 10 days or so hold them infront of a bright light source and see if you can see anything solid inside ... if you can, better read up on weaning and hand feeding. :lol:

Might want to have the other two birds DNAed while you are at it ... someone may have lied to you because they wanted to get these birds off of their hands because they could be prolific breeders :eek:

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
if the eggs are fertile they need to be moved to a suitable nest box as they could fall out of the cuddle hut, and when they hatch it will get nasty very quickly with all their droppings. If you don't want the eggs you can destroy them (personally I'm against that, btu some people do) Or you can wait and see what happens. When you do candle them bevery careful to not shake them any.

Most Reactions

Latest posts