Help for a first time budgie owneršŸ˜…

Ccc

Feb 12, 2022
Parrots
Cuervo
(Itā€™s my first time posting here so please excuse me if I posted this in the wrong spot)

So about a week ago I got my first budgie, I was told heā€™s a male but that it was a bit hard to tell bc of his age. Before this I was really nervous so I just gathered as much info as I could, I consulted people at pet shops, a bird rescue, even an avian vet, just to make sure I knew what to expect and how to take care of him. The thing isā€¦ they all told me similar things, but none of them are similar to how Cuervo (the budgie) behavesšŸ˜… for example I was told that he wouldnā€™t let me hold him during the first days/weeks and to not even try cause I could scare him, but on the second day he escaped his cage (still wondering how tbh) and I had to catch him. I thought It would be hard since he wasnā€™t tamed but he justā€¦ hopped on my finger. Since then he hasnā€™t had any issues with me (or honestly anyone) holding him. He also doesnā€™t chirp or make noise often, except when heā€™s listening to certain songs or applauses. He also just stands on his perch for most of the day, except for when he eats or drinks, he doesnā€™t seem to play or really do anything. He Just sits there quietly. I checked everything that might be wrong with his health but everything looks good. Heā€™s eating/drinking/pooping well, he sleeps well, no feather plucking, no runny nose.
Does anyone know if these kind of things are just likeā€¦ a matter of personality? Should I be worried? Idk Iā€™m kinda freaking out right now, I just want to take good care of him.
Any help would be appreciated šŸ˜­

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
if a cage is really small tgey often just sit there.

But also he is still adjusting to being in a new place with new stuff. Starting next week he should slowly start getting bolder.

Offer romaine lettuce and bell pepper stuffed in cage bars. But also lots of bird safe veggies, usually served on a small plate makes them bolder at trying

Rival_of_the_Rickeybird

2x Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jul 31, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
None. My wife has one too many. Kidding!
Here is a thread my wife always likes to give to new budgie owners.
You're in the right place (here) for support and education.
Good to welcome you.

Reactions: Ccc

Most Reactions

Latest posts