Help for Eclectus baby & Vitamin A

Saash

Jan 13, 2021
Durban, South Africa
Parrots
Eclectus
Hello

I am new to this forum. Thanks to all those who contribute, its been a wonderful resource.

I am hand-raising a baby eclectus. We pulled her from the nest at 3 weeks, and she's 4 weeks now.

I have been feeding her AviPlus hand-rearing Phase 2 for parots.

My question is on Vitamin A. I know eclectus need sufficient vitamin A otherwise they can have problems. I am not sure if my formula has enough vitamin A or if I should be supplementing?

If there is anyone here who knows, please do tell.

Thank you in advance. :red1:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Here's my all-species statement on vitamins: Never supplement vitamins without the approval of an avian certified vet or at least backing vitamin panel results-- you can feed fruit and veg once they are eating more on their own, but I wouldn't supplement A unless you have a strong reason to believe that it is needed-- a specific reason.

This is my ekkie advice (NOTE- I do not own an eckie,, do wait for other to chime in as well) eclectus are more sensitive to vitamin supplements than other parrots (just because of the way the digestive system works)...All parrots can OD on supplements. Many people suggest not feeding eclectus a pelleted diet because they are highly efficient when it comes to extracting vitamins from food and pellets have a lot of added vitamins.which makes me nervous about adding extra on top of the formula which is already fortified.

If people normally supplement baby ekkies with A, then follow the advice of experts-- I am just voicing caution against added vitamins whenever a fortified product is already in use.

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Thank you.
I did check with an AV who also said the formula is fine.

The formula probably is, but not necessarily adding a vitamin...When they get older, do consider what many people say about pellets and ekkies.

Last edited:
OP
S

Saash

Jan 13, 2021
Durban, South Africa
Parrots
Eclectus
Thanks

Thank you
It was suggested that when I wean her I could supplement with Beta Carotene, which can be converted without causing overdose

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
Thanks

Thank you
It was suggested that when I wean her I could supplement with Beta Carotene, which can be converted without causing overdose

Eh Saash....when it gets close to weaning we have a whole new topic of study on the Eclectus diet.:D Ekkies are very special and unique. Any info that you can't find under the 'Eclectus' forum, please ask. Vitamin A is a BIG one for Ekkies....more later...:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts