Help! Found a juvenile Amazon parrot!!!

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Actually, after re-thinking the fact that you said he will not eat dry pellets or seeds at all, he probably needs a hand formula-feeding once every 3-4 hours, 4-5 is not enough...So every 3 hours or so check his crop, and if it's just about empty, then give him a formula feeding, until his crop is nice and full and very round, but still has a bit of "give" to it...and then 3 hours later again check his crop, and if it's just about empty, then give him another formula feeding...if not, wait another hour, so 4 hours, and check his crop again, and if just about empty then formula feed again...I'm going to guess he needs formula every 3-4 hours at this point...

I just want to make sure you understand what "Abundance-Weaning" really is, and why you cannot mash-up pellets for him...It's because if you mash-up the pellets for him, not only will he never learn to eat dry pellets or seeds at all, but the mashed-pellets will actually be taking the place of the hand-feeding formula, which will cause him to be malnourished and become extremely sick, and potentially die.

So think of it this way: At this point, the hand-feeding formula is his MAIN SOURCE OF FOOD!!! The dry pellets, seeds, and water that should be inside of his Weaning-Cage at all times are simply "Abundance-Weaning TOOLS", and should not be thought of right now as sources of food for him...Does that make sense to you?

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
Any update on this, Verxea? I'd love to hear how things have gone.

Most Reactions

Latest posts