HELP! How do I get rid of worms in my Cockatiel?!?!?!

Sky_Hawk

Jul 13, 2022
Parrots
Hello! I have three birds, 2 budgies, and one baby-2-month-old dominant silver cockatiel. My cockatiel's name is Jasmine. The name of my budgies are Sky and Hawk.
Hey everyone! I have a cockatiel who is about 2-3 months old. A few weeks ago, I noticed that her poop was green and watery at the same time and so I decided to take her to the vet. The vet told me that she had worms and gave her a tablet. He also said that it would take 24-48 hours for the medicine to react on her, so he said we would get the desired results after 24-48 hours. After about 2 days, we did notice her poop going back to normal, but again, for the past few days, her poop has turned green and watery again! What does this mean and what do I have to do to get Jasmine, my cockatiel, alright again? Please help and guide me!

Details of Cockatiel:
Dominant Silver Cockatiel, 2-3 months old, On a plain seed diet, friendly and loving.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
You should ask your vet about it. I don't know why his poop suddenly went green and watery, maybe it's the meds(take this with a grain of salt.)

I suggest not having your bird on an only seed diet. Seed should only be 10-20% of a cockatiels diet. The rest should be fresh food like veggies, fruit, herbs, etc(make sure the foods you are feeding your bird is safe for it), and some pellets/grains.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Worms are rare in Companion Parrots. Did your vet take and complete a poop test and review the stool under a microscope to see and define, which worms your Parrot has?

FYI: Multi color as part of your thread can make it more difficult to read. Yes, old fashion black letters can be boring, but it is much easier to quickly read.

OP
Sky_Hawk

Sky_Hawk

Jul 13, 2022
Parrots
Hello! I have three birds, 2 budgies, and one baby-2-month-old dominant silver cockatiel. My cockatiel's name is Jasmine. The name of my budgies are Sky and Hawk.
Worms are rare in Companion Parrots. Did your vet take and complete a poop test and review the stool under a microscope to see and define, which worms your Parrot has?

FYI: Multi color as part of your thread can make it more difficult to read. Yes, old fashion black letters can be boring, but it is much easier to quickly read.
Nope, he definitely did not do that

OP
Sky_Hawk

Sky_Hawk

Jul 13, 2022
Parrots
You should ask your vet about it. I don't know why his poop suddenly went green and watery, maybe it's the meds(take this with a grain of salt.)

I suggest not having your bird on an only seed diet. Seed should only be 10-20% of a cockatiels diet. The rest should be fresh food like veggies, fruit, herbs, etc(make sure the foods you are feeding your bird is safe for it), and some pellets/grains.
The problem is that she doesn't like pellets and no matter how hard i try she just doesn't want to eat veggies and fruits.

OP
Sky_Hawk

Sky_Hawk

Jul 13, 2022
Parrots

The problem is that she doesn't like pellets and no matter how hard i try she just doesn't want to eat veggies and fruits.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Did you try making chop? It's basically chopped up veggies. You can try mixing seed into it.

𝕾𝖙𝖔𝖗𝖒𝖞𝕻𝖎𝖈𝖆

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
It takes time and patience. She's what, 2 months old? It takes many birds more than 2 months to convert their diet. Believe me, she will be so much healthier if you do this. Seed-only diets have detrimental long-term affects on birds, such as fatty liver disease.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
IMHO, deworming should not be preformed without testing the stool to determine which and the level of infestation exists.

Oopsadaysey

Mar 11, 2022
East Gippsland Australia
Parrots
21yr old LutinoxPearl Quarrion (sorry cockatiel) Munchkin aka The Princess
I agree, too young for deworming, especially since the vet didn't check the faeces. I know it's panic time, but I did it the first time it happened too. It really depends on so many factors but Munchkin's faeces change depending on what she has eaten, whether she is moulting and whether she is broody, and just feels off for the day. She has had worms twice, and both times I think she got them from garden greens she picked herself, also she used to be able to freely wander our backyard garden (supervised) and we had a lot of wild birds visiting.
We can't let her do that now, as the new house, is a much more open yard and there are a lot of predator birds - eagles, hawks, harriers and kites.
As far as diet. I'm firmly in the no manufactured foods camp. Avian vet told me to look at what they eat in the wild, and then emulate that. If you want your bird to eat something else, mine checks our plates over at every meal and basically steals vegs, fruit, seeds, grains (cooked or uncooked) she likes the look of. Sweet potato goes straight through her btw. It can make your diet better too. She does get a small piece of bread now and then but as my husband bakes it himself to his own recipe and there are no added sugars and chemicals etc, just yeast and she gets that in the wild too as well as mushrooms (raw), have to put one aside for her.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Nope, he definitely did not do that
Are you sure? It would be a quick thing.

I would not let my bird have contact with the ground while there’s so much disease in wild birds.

Can you call the vet back and tell him/ her that droppings are again green and watery?

It’s possible that the bird reinfected himself from the cage or toys. It’s tough to clean everything at the right time.

Most Reactions