HELP, I have a Lovebird who is EXTREMELY HORNY!

bacemt

Dec 26, 2012
Hi all,

Yes, you read the title correctly!

So, I have a Lovebird who is about 3 years old, maybe 4 at most, and he is having, um, shall we say some extreme horniness, to the point that I am concerned.

He will literally spend all day (when not out of the cage), humping EVERYTHING in the cage, perches, food dishes whatever and he regurgitates also all over everything, I am honestly concerned that he isn't even eating enough for himself!

I change out his toys etc, no mirrors in the cage, and so forth. I am just wondering if you have any suggestions, or if I took him to an Avian vet could they give him something to calm his hormones down? I also have a male parrotlet and he has never had this issue (they hate each other so they are never outside of their cages together)!!

Just to add, I do not want another bird, so providing him a female is not an option.

THanks,

BC

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hi all,

Yes, you read the title correctly!

So, I have a Lovebird who is about 3 years old, maybe 4 at most, and he is having, um, shall we say some extreme horniness, to the point that I am concerned.

He will literally spend all day (when not out of the cage), humping EVERYTHING in the cage, perches, food dishes whatever and he regurgitates also all over everything, I am honestly concerned that he isn't even eating enough for himself!

I change out his toys etc, no mirrors in the cage, and so forth. I am just wondering if you have any suggestions, or if I took him to an Avian vet could they give him something to calm his hormones down? I also have a male parrotlet and he has never had this issue (they hate each other so they are never outside of their cages together)!!

THanks,

BC
I had to take fuzzy toys away from my gcc because he fed them and they got disgusting.

I think Lupron would work to curb this in boy birds.

Have you tried cutting back daylight hours, cutting back fat and protein a bit?

Most Reactions

Latest posts