Help Marcel and me

avie

May 15, 2019
Hello! I am new here and I thought this would be good place to ask for advice.
A little bit of a background at first.

A couple of months ago, my mom told me that there was a ringneck at her work; (she works as a nanny) the parents had bought the parrot as a birthday present for their kid but now nobody was really looking after it. They were considering giving it back to the pet shop. I suggested she could bring him home and we could decide what the best course of action would be for him to live his best life. I am not especially a parrot person, I just care about animals in general and I felt responsible to try to make sure he was not neglected or mistreated.

We brought him home, assembled a relatively spacious cage for him, and he got a new name, Marcel. He was quite stressed and scared and felt uncomfortable around people and was scared of our dog. He came out and walked around a few times (his wings were clipped when he came) but, as mentioned, the dog scared him so we didn't feel it was safe for them to be close to each other. I had initially planned to find a good sanctuary for him where he could socialize with other birds and people who were knowledgeable and be able to fly after he grows new feathers. However the one place I found in the Los Angeles area does not take ringnecks. I am going to leave for university in August and I'm probably going to be out of town before that. I know that I care for Marcel and I want the best for him which is why I understand that right now, he deserves someone more committed who will take the time to socialize with him, give him as much freedom as possible, and not clip his wings.

I just don't know anyone who might be able to help us, so I thought I'd ask you guys since you all know a lot about parrots and care about them. What do you think I should do? How can I make sure that Marcel is happy?

Thank you!
Avie

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
If he doesn’t like people it might be best to find an aviary home for him rather than a pet home.

The hard thing about placing Ringnecks is that they require a lot more work for the first year than most companion parrots. It takes a lot to find the right person.

If you want to get in touch with me personally, I would love to hear more about him and see if anyone on my waiting list for a baby ringneck might be a good match for him instead :) I raise Ringnecks so I have a base of people looking for one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions