help my baby

apbdt

Mar 20, 2007
Hi everyone. I hope someone can help me and my bird. I have this samon cressted cockatoo. I dont really know her age. I got her from my aunt. She has this one problem. she plucks and pulls on her feathers all the time. The damage sha has done to her wings is so ugly. I have also noticed she leaves a lot of wite dust everywere. Does anyone know what this is? Ive been told to take her to a avary vet, the only problemis were i liv there isnt one around. all we have is farm amd small animal vets. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
No need to worry about the white dust, all parrots have it some more then others. Just try giving her a misting shower every day if poosible. Will she let you put her directly in the shower water. This will help maintain the dust.

Your major worry is now the feather plucking. This is a common problem is cockatoos. Has she started self mutilating? She really needs lots of attention and stimulation. A good start would be lots of toys for her and as much attention as you can give her. Try checking out some cockatoo forums or sites for help about stopping the plucking. Hope this helps.

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
First off
WELCOME!!

now...

I have also noticed she leaves a lot of wite dust everywere. Does anyone know what this is?

This is 100% normal. It’s called feather dust and all birds have it... I have to dust every other day with my African Grey. Now I have never had a too... but I do know that are horrible with their feather dust. There isn't much you can do with it, but a daily spray of water can help and even a full bath every once in a while. No depending if your bird has had this done to her before and if s/he likes it or not... it could be a fight or your too may love the whole experience.

she plucks and pulls on her feathers all the time. The damage sha has done to her wings is so ugly.

Ok this could be a lot of things... when did you get her? She could be doing this because of her new living arrangements. There is a spray you can get that may help with that... makes their feathers taste bad. Does she have toys in the cage? You should go out and buy a whole bunch of "preening" toys... like a toy with a lot of rope or shredable material. Are you playing/talking with her every chance you get, Cockatoos are way up on the list with being sociable... they need attention everyday for at least a couple hours. All and all these are just some ideas....

Ive been told to take her to a avary vet

I agree 100%... if you can't find one ask a local vet if they know any... took me a month to find a good trust worthy one... If all else fails at least call one and speak to them about your problem and see if they have some ideas, until you get her to a vet.

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
WELCOME TO THE FORUM!
Kakatua_seram.jpg

Since Peta hasn't been able to put up a pic. yet, so I found one

I agree with Tracy and Darkchi about what they've said so far about the feather biting. Right now I've got nothing to add about it.

About the feather dust, Darkchi, I can attest to Cockatoos having soooo much dander. We used to have one a while back, and before you know it, his black cage would turn grey because there was so much dander.

Personally, I think Grey's and Too's have got the most dander.

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
saw this on your other post and thought I would keep everything right here...

only problem is were i live we only have farm and small animal vets

I have the same problem... if you have a vet that has done farm animals and you have an emergency check with them to see if they have done chickens and/or ducks... they arnt parrots but they have some of the same features. One tricky thing about this is that I have learn many vets kind of fear parrots because of our fids ability to take a finger off. So I would use this as pure emergencies, but it wouldnt hurt to ask the vet for some basic knowledge to get you on your way.

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
I think Grey's and Too's have got the most dander.

My grey sits next to the TV at the house (no where else to put her) and all the static makes the dust and dander even the little down feather just cling to the screen :eek: ... you have to clean it twice a day :D

My mother love all the dust :p

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Hi everyone. I hope someone can help me and my bird. I have this samon cressted cockatoo. I dont really know her age. I got her from my aunt. She has this one problem. she plucks and pulls on her feathers all the time. The damage sha has done to her wings is so ugly. I have also noticed she leaves a lot of wite dust everywere. Does anyone know what this is? Ive been told to take her to a avary vet, the only problemis were i liv there isnt one around. all we have is farm amd small animal vets. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I wish I could help you ... but I am out of my league with 'toos ... the are like grandkids (not that I have any ... or kids for that matter) but they are a lot of fun to visit and play with, but once they start getting cranky you can send 'em home ...

All I can suggest is that to prevent "bordem plucking" then you should make sure your birdie has lots of toys and lots and lots of out of cage time ... I hope that you have a lot of time and patience on your hands, because it will take both to get a too to stop plucking ...

~ :50:

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
srry toos aren't my thing either all i can tell you since i have 2 tiels' and they're basicly in the same family... is that the dust is nothing to worry about unless you have allergies to it then you can just mist her everyday. The cockatoo family is the worst dust makers.

and a tip for the pluckers some one told me.. is that you can collect the plucked feather from the bottom of the cage and make a toy out of it then maybe the bird will be interested in the toy rather than its own.

Last edited:

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
... make a toyout of it then maybe the bird will be interested in the toy rather than its own.

Wow, what a great idea! Collect the feathers and try to create a "pluck doll" What a great idea meghan!

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Great advise from everyone here. Have to agree you need to get her to a vet, just to make sure there is no underlying problem. Do you know if she has plucked before?

The white dust we get a lot of that here, we call it our cuddle dust. :D Used to have enough dust when I only had 1 grey, now theres 2 on the scene :eek: but hey a little dust makes a place looked lived in. :D

Plenty of toys to keep the little one occupied, lots of preening toys and foraging toys, its not a cure but could keep her occupied enough to stop the plucking. Plenty of showers is another way to go. When Bucc is moulting I give him a shower everyday, well a misting (a good one) he would take my hand off if I were to try putting him in the shower. :D

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
Wow, what a great idea! Collect the feathers and try to create a "pluck doll" What a great idea meghan!

lol Thank-you but i cant take ALL the credit i over read it on another forum, or maybe it was a site.. i actually cant remember now. and also the best part is you can just keep re-using the feathers.

Last edited:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I'm just wondering if by using the plucked birds feathers, will this be seen as rewarding behaviour that you don't want?

I've not heard of doing this before so I don't know if it would work or not,

As Gemini is very nearly bald anyway with the moult and plucking that he's been doing maybe I'll give it a try. I'll let you know how I get on. Or how he gets on more to the point. :D Nothing like first hand knowledge is there.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
A friend of mine tried this, making a toy out of plucked feathers, :D Well it looked like it was working BUT when the bird had demolised they "toy" he just pulled more feathers out than ever before. :( Haven't had the nerve to try it with Gemini as he is letting the feathers on his chest grow back (sitting on eggs has really helped him in that respect) but his legs and under his wings are as bald as could be. :(

nunubearsmom

Jan 8, 2011
Umatilla, Oregon
Parrots
parakeet
I has an Umbrella Cockatoo however she died on Dec 21st from a prolapse. I miss her soooo much, she was very loved. Her name was NUNUBEAR
:yellow2: Hi,
There is a product called Feather Shine by Kings Cage that can help. It really brings out the beautiful color of the feathers without stripping the natural oils. Works wonderfully. I showered with my cockatoo all the time and when I started using it, I could not believe the difference in her feathers. She slowed down on over preening right away. Whether or not your bird has a problem with over preening or plucking, I would highly recommend this product. they also have "pluck no more that" although I have not used that. Unfortunately, my sweet girl is no longer with me, she died of a prolapse in December. :smile014::smile016: Please take your 2 to a vet and be sure everything is OK with her/him. Please get regular check ups for your 2 also. There are places that offer insurance for birds. Take care and love your 2. :bigkiss:

Most Reactions