help! my bird poo looks weird

KikiEunicorn

Jun 27, 2017
Parrots
Kiki (a cockatiel)
Hello, I am new to this parrot forum community but I am in urgent need of some help understanding my bird's poo. So, I've had him for a year I got him when he was 8 months old. He's been very playful and seems like a normal bird! He loves eating next to me (I have a small plate for my bird, Kiki to eat his pellets and seeds out of), so I've come to the conclusion that he likes to eat with humans and thinks that everything WE eat is safe for him. and since he thinks that food that we eat is safe for him too, I left a bowl of watermelon instead of a bowl of seeds. He REALLY liked it so I continued to feed him bits of watermelon. He is a little slow eater so he eats a tiny crumb of watermelon but since he loves it so much, he takes 30 minutes. Today, he ate like 0.5cm x 0.5 cm x 0.5 cm cube. He ate it really well.

His poo has been fine the entire day until, BAM! He pooped out red stuff!
So I've been wondering if this looks like blood from the intestines or because of watermelon. I'm asking this bc I'm not sure if that little amount of watermelon can change the color of his poo. So, I'm a little scared because I searched it up and it said that it could be kidney disease but I remembered that he also ate watermelon so I'm kinda indecisive now. PLEASE HELP!

This is his first time pooping red stuff.

Update: now it is second poop and it is much waterier

P.S. He is a cockatiel btw:yellow1::yellow1::yellow1:

Attachments

• 20170627_143727.jpg
    20170627_143727.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 129
  • 20170627_145700.jpg
    20170627_145700.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 652
Last edited:

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
looks like watermelon poop to me.

Simple rule for poo in any animal is bright red is normally okay but very dark red/black is the big red red flag.

Can almost see watermelon bits in it. Remember that they're called watermelon for a reason which is why the second poop is watery. I'd say just let them eat melon a bit sparingly, maybe even use it as a treat if they like it so much. If you're really worried take them for a check up at a CAV

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Yep...looks like water mellon poop to me too! At least your little guy is eating that kind of stuff...BB just runs away from stuff like that lol.
I agree also...looks like you have found an awesome TREAT for your 'tiel...something he really enjoys ( don't blame him..i love watermelon too!)
And the "water" is urine..eat a lot of melon...pee a lot of melon..I wouldn't be concerned.

Jim

Most Reactions

Latest posts