Help! My cockatiel Is tame but wants to just stay in cage

JayChandler19

Aug 11, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiel
I’ve had my cockatiel for 6 years and she loves head scratches from me and my dad but she is sort of cage bound. She prefers to be in her cage constantly but still enjoys human interaction and presence. She also hisses at people she doesn’t know and really only takes a liking to men and not women.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
OP
J

JayChandler19

Aug 11, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiel
Is cage bound behavior new or dates to early days? As David suggested above, create motivation to leave the cage and reward with high-value treat.

Might also try some trust building/bonding tops to encourage closer human contact outside the cage. Some great ideas here >>>> https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/tips-for-bonding-and-building-trust.49144/
Thank you! I will try this things more! She will come out if I have her step up and take her out but a lot of times she’ll jump off before I bring her out or just want to just sit on top of her cage when she’s out. I’m getting in a new playground for her to put on top of her cage to entice her to stay out longer and want to come out. Also what are the best treats? I give her millet which she enjoys but is there other treats tiels enjoy?

OP
J

JayChandler19

Aug 11, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiel
She knows what she likes! I assume you leave the cage open at times?
if it is a smallish, portable type cage, try placing it in the middle of a table with treats and toys around!
Thanks for the advice. She has a large flight cage and I have a perch stand with bowls of food and treats for when she’s out. I’m getting in a new playground today so hopefully that’ll also entice her to come out. She’s kind of a one of a kind bird cause she doesn’t really play with toys hardly ever, just bows to them and us for scratches and just wants scratches 24/7 lol. But she does enjoy millet! What are other treats tiels like?

Most Reactions

Latest posts