Help my conure started biting and attacking my boyfriend

Danielle

Jan 26, 2012
Recently my Jenday Conure "Mango" has started attacking my boyfriend and biting him. My boyfriend "Dustin" is now afraid of Mango.

I am wondering if this has anything with "coming into sexual maturity"? I catch Mango trying to mate with my arm all the time, and I stop him.

What can I do??? Mango will fly at Dustin and bite his neck and head. I dont want Dustin to get bite anymore, they are not playful bites. The bites are mean and draw blood sometimes.

How do I get Mango to tolerate Dustin, he doesnt have to love Dustin- I just want him to stop attacking and biting. :( :orange:

Any thoughts on "clicker" training???

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I would keep the bird in the cage when your boyfriend is around. Maybe they could have some one-on-one time without you in the same room, even if Mango stays in the cage. Mango probably thinks you are his mate (whether you agree to it or not) and wants to keep you to himself.

Maybe Mango is in season, and will stop once he is out of season. That's how it was with Puck, except he tried to mate with my boyfriend too.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Mango may never like Dustin, but Dustin deserves not to be attacked and bitten. Yes, you may have to keep Mango in his cage when Dustin is there, or even clip his wings.

One on one time with Dustin may help. It may help if Dustin gives Mango his fruits and veggies and other treats.

However, I was engaged to a man a few years ago that my Blue Crown conure hated. He lived here in the house the last 2 years we were together and she never came to like him. She didn't attack him, but would kind of lunge at him whenever he walked past her. We did have him give her all her treats everyday, but it never helped. Sometimes they just don't like certain people.

Dustin should also do some of Mango's favorite things with him. If he likes being sang to, then Dustin should sing for him. If Mango likes to dance, Dustin and him should dance. I kept trying to get my ex to do these things for Briana, but he wouldn't. I think it might have helped, but he apparently felt too silly singing and dancing for a bird (or in front of me even though I did it in front of him for the birds).

ConureComrad

Jan 27, 2012
Lake Stevens Wa
Parrots
Gold Capped Conure, Jenday Conure, a breeding pair of Sun Conures and a Indian Ringneck.
I have 4 conures including a male Jenday from my experience conures get territorial when they bond with you. My male Sun will be on my shoulder my son will come walking by and he will fly to him start biting him on his face and head for no reason. So my guess is he loves you and feels your boyfriend is a threat. Best thing to do is try to get your boyfriend involved in feeding treats and socializing with him.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Giving treats and food don't always help! My partner did that with Willie for the past 8 years and it never helped! Best thing to do is take them out when no one is around if you don't want to clip. Otherwise the best thing to do is to clip!

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
It seems as if once a Conure makes up their mind that someone or something is a threat to his mate (you) they do not like that person or thing. They are dominant and jealous little birds. I know I have one too.

Most Reactions

Latest posts