HELP! My conures beak is broken

KiwiDaWeirdo

Sep 9, 2022
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure
I just realised my conure’s beak is cut and could have been bleeding as there was some blood on the cut. I’m unsure as to what caused it though. He lives with a cockatoo but the cockatoo has never bitten him before. Another possibility is that he got it from flying into the glass door.. Yesterday he went nuts and flew around the house in circles and kept hitting the glass door 3 times. I have noticed some of the white stuff on his beak yesterday but I didn’t see the cut.. at least i didn’t notice it. I feel like it was either one of these possibilities.
Nevertheless, his personality is still the same and is still as active and playful as usual. Does this warrant a visit to the vet or would it heal on its own? (He is 4 months old)

Attachments

• 8614F533-4888-4D3A-BDF7-0CEFDD8C506C.jpeg
    8614F533-4888-4D3A-BDF7-0CEFDD8C506C.jpeg
    370.7 KB · Views: 99

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Your bird needs to go to the vet for assistance. He’s likely in pain and he could get an infection in this open wound. Please take him to a vet as soon as possible. Any vet that will see birds is better than none. The vet can clean and treat this wound and give antibiotics and/ or pain meds. Maybe they can fill the injury so it’s not exposed and bleeding.

(My Quaker parrot was bitten by a larger bird while boarding at the pet store for a day. She had a chunk out of her beak. She seemed in a lot of pain and wouldn’t eat. I needed to hand feed her until she was less painful, and her beak was damaged for the rest of her life.)

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Agree you should take him to the vet, also I couldn't leave this thread with out asking, you meant cockaTIEL right? You didn't mean your teeny crimson bellied conure lives with a cockaTOO?

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
Awe poor boy that looks so sore! Hopefully the vet patches him up nicely im sure they will ;)

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Agree you should take him to the vet, also I couldn't leave this thread with out asking, you meant cockaTIEL right? You didn't mean your teeny crimson bellied conure lives with a cockaTOO?
I checked; it’s a sulfur crested cockatoo.

And that’s the part of my reply that I deleted. If your tiny conure is living with a cockatoo, it’s like putting a chihuahua in with a Rottweiler. Or having a toddler play with teenagers. The size difference is too much. Even if the cockatoo didn’t mean to, hurt your bird, one irritated swipe and your conure could lose a foot, an eye, a beak. Just like a Rottweiler could inhale a chihuahua.

Please don’t put little birds together with big birds. Accidents can happen.

Most Reactions

Latest posts