Help! my eclectus had a baby

Romeofred

Apr 5, 2015
jersey shore
Parrots
My Romeo yellow Nape, Fred African gray one female and one male eclectus with their new baby 4/1/15
My female eclectus hatched an egg! I taught her abstinence. What could have gone wrong? The baby is about 3 day old. Now I know why she was acting strange. Totally unprepared to be a grandparent where do I go for quick accurate information? Bedding,formula,handling,special food for female? Would appreciate your input. Thanks :confused:

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Welcome to the forum! Congratulations to an unsuspecting grandparent.

I have to hand it to you, your thread title is a real attention grabber!

I have no experience with newly hatched chicks but we have members with lots of experience and I know they will be able to help.

Best wishes to you and your new grandfid! :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
What diet are you feeding the pair? Did you provided them with a nest box? If you did, what did you expect to happen. At three days old, the parents must be feeding the baby chick. They're one of the hardest ones to learn on how to hand feed, are you prepared for the task?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
My female eclectus hatched an egg! I taught her abstinence. What could have gone wrong? The baby is about 3 day old. Now I know why she was acting strange. Totally unprepared to be a grandparent where do I go for quick accurate information? Bedding,formula,handling,special food for female? Would appreciate your input. Thanks :confused:

Welcome to the forums. :)

How do you teach a bird abstinence? :54: If you allow male and female to cohabit together, nature may just take its course - as evident in your case, LOL.

And FYI, if you keep them together, regardless of what will become of this current chick - they WILL do it again, I promise.

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
Congratulations, and don't panic! You don't need to hand-rear the chick - you can let mum do all the work, as long as you give her a proper diet and as long as she's happy to do so.

As a brand new mum, she's going to need lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, and a vitamin supplement if possible. What are you currently feeding the parents?

Delfin

Banned
Banned
Jan 26, 2014
Media
Be careful Mekaisto
You will get told off, Apparently Eclectus Parrot can't be given Supplements even ones that have been researched and designed by a Avian Vet.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Hahaha! Suffice it to say that supplements that would be fine for most parrots would tend to be too rich for an eclectus parrot. But if you are prescribed a supplement specifically formulated for ekkies by a certified avian vet who truly knows eclectus, then that is a different and altogether safer scenario.

That said, giving extra foods that are high in calcium would be a good idea to start.

Luna

Banned
Banned
Mar 10, 2012
Canada
Parrots
I have Psittacidae
Hello, Due to the time of year I was wondering if this was immaculate conception. If so give me advise for Luns it makes me almost cry to see her sit so securely on infertile eggs. Besides even producing the eggs would be as hard on her body's resorces as a human misscarage in the first trimester. Any way you have nothing to worry about just feed the parents well and they will raise a healthy baby without help. Good luck D.D.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
At three days old, the parents must be feeding the baby chick. They're one of the hardest ones to learn on how to hand feed, are you prepared for the task?

AMEN TO THAT ONE! You're better off letting Mom & Dad do it, than trying to learn this one on the fly... BAD THINGS HAPPEN WHEN YOU TRY TO LEARN THIS ON THE FLY! Feed Mom & Dad the good stuff, and trust their parenting instincts.

I WOULD PM LABELL FOR ADVICE. SHE'S THE GO TO PERSON, AND SHE WAS AN ECKIE BREEDER FOR MANY YEARS.

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

How do you teach a bird abstinence? :54:

That's easy! Separate cages. Separate playstands. Separate out times. :D

Then hope they don't figure out how to open latches and sneak out...

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Be careful Mekaisto
You will get told off, Apparently Eclectus Parrot can't be given Supplements even ones that have been researched and designed by a Avian Vet.

Actually there are other factors to consider, i.e. inexperienced hand feeder, and one of the more difficult birds to hand feed...

Long before there were hand feeding formulas available, there were parent birds... and they seemed to do okay with it even without any avian vet training...

Most Reactions

Latest posts