Help! My female cockatiel is making strange and concerning noises!

Scootie

Apr 13, 2021
As of this morning, Cicero started making these weird ''snotty/clicking'' and ''hiccup'' sounds. I have no clue as to what they are or if she's in any danger. I'm worried that maybe she's sick or has something caught in her throat. However, her poop is normal and she doesn't really have the typical sick bird symptoms aside from being a little tired (which both my birds are at the moment). She's eating and drinking fine, I'm just worried and wanted to make sure that she's ok. If anyone knows what's happening, PLEASE tell me

I've attached some videos below so you can hear the strange noises she makes.

https://imgur.com/a/ZJnjCHA
https://imgur.com/ZE2BgLs

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
You have a very sick bird and need to get to an avain veterinarian right away.. I couldn't here the sound out I couldn't see the labored breathing and that she kept closing her eyes while you filmed. Signs she is getting weak.

By the time bird's give you any symptoms they are very sick. The " classic" sick bird symptoms are often when they are near death. Burds hide being sick, so the flock won't kick them out and predators won't target them.

Its very important to get to sn avain veterinarian right away.

This link has some tips fir you at home nursing after you get treatment from the vet. Warmth is very important, and eating, as they burn extra calories while sick. So add a treat stick abd millet spray
https://www.littlecrittersvet.com/sick-birds.pml

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Agree with Laura 500%.
If you have an avian vet near you- do your best to explain that it is an emergency and try to get them to squeeze you in. If you cannot do avian, you can try an exotics vet with lots of parrot experience.
Try to keep your bird warmer than usual (don't use teflon/ptfe/pfoa/pfc space-heater, as the fumes can be deadly to even a healthy bird).

OP
S

Scootie

Apr 13, 2021
Hi everyone, thank you for replying <3

I checked up on her this morning and she's returned to normal. She isn't making those odd sounds anymore and is her usual energetic self again I will definitely be keeping a close eye on her and will take her to an avian vet if her symptoms return (my parents are quite reluctant to go to the vet unless something is noticeably wrong, which is unfortunate.) or if she otherwise seems sick. Again, thank you for taking the time to reply as I was in a panic yesterday and getting some advice was very helpful.

Cicero thanks you all as well! :yellow1:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I'd warn your parents that parrots are very unique when compared to most pets, as they hide illness until the are on the brink of death. I am glad she is doing better, but for future reference, the signs you described are those that would be indicative of a very very sick bird. As prey animals, they hide it until the last minute (unlike mammals) as showing any weakness will get them pecked to death and/or eaten in the wild.

I am glad YOU are aware and caring and please know that if this happens again, it should be viewed as an emergency (despite the positive outlook this time around). Their respiratory systems are EXTREMELY fragile and human owners often harm them by using things like standard cleaners and teflon/ptfe/pfoa/pfcs, incense, aerosols, air fresheners, candles and other very dangerous fumes within their homes. On top of those risks, bacterial, viral and fungal infections are also relativity common.

If you do not already have one, please find a certified avian vet (if possible) and exotics (with specialty in parrots) if nothing else is available. You want to establish care BEFORE an emergency and any parrot should be seen be an avian vet at least once a year for a physical-- blood work should be done every 3 (minimum) and testing for avian viruses (which my be totally asymptomatic) should be done whenever there is a chance that they will be around others (or if symptoms present). Some common but potentially deadly and untreatable viruses include PBFD, PDD and ABV. Aspergillosis is a fungi that is in the air in general and can kill them too, but generally only if they are already weakened or sick.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
The odds are against this having resolved. Likely your bird is still very sick, but able to hide is again.

Weigh your birds everyday right now. If your burd is sick has likely already lost weight, but you can see if more is lost. For little burds just a few grams can be a big deal. Get a digital kitchen scale. % of body mass /weight is what we go on. 3% lost needs to be checked out by an avain vet, 5% lost or more you have a sick bird or problem see an avain vet right away, 10% or more lost yiu are going to have to offer high calorie goods, and possibly start feeding baby bird formula by syringe or spoon to support them. To figure out % lost, take number of grams lost divide by normal weight , then x100 = % lost.

The reason you usually see weight-loss with sick birds is it can take 3 x their normal calories, so even if eating they might not be able to keep up.

Weighing healthy bird weekly and keeping a log, can one day help you spot a problem early. Making treatment and saving them so much easier. Even weight-loss as the only symptom. But any symptoms, even if no weight-loss should hsve you taking the bird to a veterinarian.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
My golden rule when it comes to my little amazon, if I think something is out of the ordinary, he goes to the vet, period. Yes, there have been a few false alarms, and those have to be paid for just like any vet visit. But having lost a parrot, who showed zero signs of illness, years ago, I take no chances. Parrots are too good at hiding illness, and by the time symptoms become very evident, they are REALLY sick.

You might want to have your folks read this thread, so they understand that point.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Hi everyone, thank you for replying <3

I checked up on her this morning and she's returned to normal. She isn't making those odd sounds anymore and is her usual energetic self again I will definitely be keeping a close eye on her and will take her to an avian vet if her symptoms return (my parents are quite reluctant to go to the vet unless something is noticeably wrong, which is unfortunate.) or if she otherwise seems sick. Again, thank you for taking the time to reply as I was in a panic yesterday and getting some advice was very helpful.

Cicero thanks you all as well! :yellow1:

The odds are against this having resolved. Likely your bird is still very sick, but able to hide is again.

Weigh your birds everyday right now. If your burd is sick has likely already lost weight, but you can see if more is lost. For little burds just a few grams can be a big deal. Get a digital kitchen scale. % of body mass /weight is what we go on. 3% lost needs to be checked out by an avain vet, 5% lost or more you have a sick bird or problem see an avain vet right away, 10% or more lost yiu are going to have to offer high calorie goods, and possibly start feeding baby bird formula by syringe or spoon to support them. To figure out % lost, take number of grams lost divide by normal weight , then x100 = % lost.

The reason you usually see weight-loss with sick birds is it can take 3 x their normal calories, so even if eating they might not be able to keep up.

Weighing healthy bird weekly and keeping a log, can one day help you spot a problem early. Making treatment and saving them so much easier. Even weight-loss as the only symptom. But any symptoms, even if no weight-loss should hsve you taking the bird to a veterinarian.

Hopefully Cicero is fully recovered, but as Laura suggested, sometimes an illness returns with vengeance. Great idea to begin weighing daily to spot a trend, keep a diary of symptoms. You may need facts to convince your parents of vet visit. I'm sure they mean well but are not familiar with parrot's abilities to hide symptoms.

Most Reactions