Help! My parrotlets chop was contaminated with onion!

Tinytheparrotlet

Mar 25, 2023
Parrots
Parrotlet
I have just gotten home from work and saw that my partner has accidentally given my parrotlet Tiny a chop that was contaminated with red onion (he didnt see it as it was also mixed in with red cabbage). As its a saturday night no avian vets are open and all avian vets at the emergency hospitals have gone home. I have rung every emergency pet hospital in 50 km area and no real info. One emergency department told me vetinary care was urgent but not super urgent and should be sought after either tomorrow or monday. Unfortunately no avian vets are in untill monday. Im panicking, so im hoping that i can get some advice of what to do to help him in the mean time. Thanks so much

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I mistakenly gave my 3 amazon’s and Bella my CAG a veggie mix that included bits of white onion.

I think I gave it 2 them twice a day apart (I give veggies every other day).

I was concerned when I realized it but several days had already gone by.

I wish I knew the specific danger of both onions and garlic to birds.
I don’t like onions but garlic… well I like garlic bread and my wife is part Italian .
Is it the clove?
is it the oil?

anyway I don’t think you need to be too worried.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
it's something to do with red blood cells and thinning the blood if I remember correctly. so just keep an eye out for any bruises or odd coloring on the skin. They are likely fine but also watch for lethargy. Give him fruits and veggies with a high water content.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Oh no! That sounds so stressful. I agree with others here that your little guy will probably be ok but I fully understand the anxiety of “wait and see”! Keep us updated!

OP
Tinytheparrotlet

Tinytheparrotlet

Mar 25, 2023
Parrots
Parrotlet
I mistakenly gave my 3 amazon’s and Bella my CAG a veggie mix that included bits of white onion.

I think I gave it 2 them twice a day apart (I give veggies every other day).

I was concerned when I realized it but several days had already gone by.

I wish I knew the specific danger of both onions and garlic to birds.
I don’t like onions but garlic… well I like garlic bread and my wife is part Italian .
Is it the clove?
is it the oil?

anyway I don’t think you need to be too worried.
Thats a relief to hear that he should be ok. These things happen and just like for ur situation it wasnt on purpose. Im an onion and garlic fan aswell lol so hes been exposed to the smell before but not actually eating it lol. It was like red onion bits. My partner was devastated when he realised. Tiny is just so small hes like 3 inches tall, so i freaked out because small birds can be affected quicker and worse from what ive read.
Thank you so much for ur advice and im so glad ur babies are ok!

OP
Tinytheparrotlet

Tinytheparrotlet

Mar 25, 2023
Parrots
Parrotlet
it's something to do with red blood cells and thinning the blood if I remember correctly. so just keep an eye out for any bruises or odd coloring on the skin. They are likely fine but also watch for lethargy. Give him fruits and veggies with a high water content.
I definitely will do that. Lots of cucumber for my boy for the next while! Maybe some watermelon aswell (hes never tried that tho).
Thank you for this advice i will definitely be looking at his skin more thoroughly when he gets scritches now :)

OP
Tinytheparrotlet

Tinytheparrotlet

Mar 25, 2023
Parrots
Parrotlet
Oh no! That sounds so stressful. I agree with others here that your little guy will probably be ok but I fully understand the anxiety of “wait and see”! Keep us updated!
Thank you! Im glad that you all think he will be ok. I was sobbing yesterday thinking about loosing him. Will definitely keep you guys updated! Thank you!!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts