Help needed

2Macaw

Sep 21, 2021
Parrots
Scarlet and B&G
I am in the process of acquiring a scarlet macaw (male) 111 days old and BG macaw (female) 94 days that have bonded in the last 45 days. Over the weekend the store clipped their wings without my consent when we agreed to make them flighted birds. I am extremely upset and wondering if these birds are psychologically impaired to learn flying ? Is it still a good idea for me to acquire these birds as pets or continue to look for new unclipped birds ? My family has grown close to these birds and I am torn either way and could use an independent recommendation. Please help. I need to make a decision by tomorrow.

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
I am so sorry to hear this.
My heart went out for the two birds for I do not wish them to have to remain there for anyminute longer. They will be lucky to have you and your family to depend on. I believe that time and love will always heal all wounds.

Were there photo of the cut?
How long before they can fly would depends on how deep the cut is. That is,
If the cut is not too deep....

Also, it seems, this store is in for profit and not the bird's welfare. If I could see the bird's reaction when the wing clipper walk into the room, then I may be able to see how psychologically wounded they are.

It is a very difficult decision but I am certain that you will get many helpful points to consider from experienced folks here.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
If you and the family have already started to bond to these 2 young'uns I would get them out of that facility ASAP. Feathers grow back, but the longer they stay in that place, I think the damage from continued questionable care would be the greater source of harm.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
So sorry to hear of horrible clipping and breach of trust. I would lean towards adopting asap with the caveat of assessing potential psychological impairment. Don't know enough to give targeted advice, but you've come to the right place to inquire! Please keep us updated, will be a learning experience for all who search and read your thread.

OP

2Macaw

Sep 21, 2021
Parrots
Scarlet and B&G
I am so sorry to hear this.
My heart went out for the two birds for I do not wish them to have to remain there for anyminute longer. They will be lucky to have you and your family to depend on. I believe that time and love will always heal all wounds.

Were there photo of the cut?
How long before they can fly would depends on how deep the cut is. That is,
If the cut is not too deep....

Also, it seems, this store is in for profit and not the bird's welfare. If I could see the bird's reaction when the wing clipper walk into the room, then I may be able to see how psychologically wounded they are.

It is a very difficult decision but I am certain that you will get many helpful points to consider from experienced folks here.

Attachments

• BF1BACD5-54F6-45A3-BF7A-637631C7D632.jpeg
    BF1BACD5-54F6-45A3-BF7A-637631C7D632.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 80
  • 06A00206-D881-4A34-BA92-B6270771588F.jpeg
    06A00206-D881-4A34-BA92-B6270771588F.jpeg
    263.9 KB · Views: 74
OP

2Macaw

Sep 21, 2021
Parrots
Scarlet and B&G
Enclosed are the photos. Thx for the response

BirdieDad

Feb 2, 2020
The almost exact same thing happened to us when we got our African Grey and Scarlet. It worked out well, even though they were unable to fly we gave them their space and tried to never force training or contact on them. Approximately 2 years later, I could not have found better friends. Both birds free fly around the house and my Scarlet will put on a harness and go outside. The African Grey is fiercely independent and not as good of a flyer as my Scarlet. The Scarlet is quite the athlete and picked up flying very quickly. The CAG is just now coming into her own and able to go around corners and fly into the net we made. My birds are essentially cage-less, only being put up when we leave the house or if acting mischievous and we cannot watch them. Point being, it has worked out great thus far. Hope that helps, because I did not know much of anything about birds when I initially got them.

Most Reactions

Latest posts