HELP! new baby sun conure how cold it to cold?

Kakyoinlover

Aug 21, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure
Do I need a heat lamp for my young sun conure? They have all their feathers and my house is set to around 66(AC). I have my vent in my room shut and covered and I have a blanket under my door. Should they be warm enough without a heat lamp? I attached a picture of my new baby. I have been panicing over under and overheating. Pleade help me 😭
16296373782927527959800638115477.jpg

Last edited:

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
Welcome,

Birds have body temperature near 100-105°F . I assume the temperature you said is 66°F which is a little too cold for a baby bird.

A heat source is always a good idea to have in your home as birds might need it when they are sick. It could be a lamp. Baby birds have less feathers and more difficulty to keep their body temperature, so yes I would put a heat source close to the baby. Just make sure the heat source is in the side of the cage, so the baby can distance itself if it is too hot.

OP
Kakyoinlover

Kakyoinlover

Aug 21, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure
Welcome,

Birds have body temperature near 100-105°F . I assume the temperature you said is 66°F which is a little too cold for a baby bird.

A heat source is always a good idea to have in your home as birds might need it when they are sick. It could be a lamp. Baby birds have less feathers and more difficulty to keep their body temperature, so yes I would put a heat source close to the baby. Just make sure the heat source is in the side of the cage, so the baby can distance itself if it is too hot.
My thing is all that I have is a 250 watt chicken heating lamp and have been told that it's to bright because it's clear. I am so scared of messing up not only because how young they are but also because how expensive they were.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
There is a kind of heater that is better for birds, it is kind of a warming panel. Laurasea has referenced it numerous times, if you search her threads you will find it. I would recommend this because it does not get Too hot.

OP
Kakyoinlover

Kakyoinlover

Aug 21, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure
There is a kind of heater that is better for birds, it is kind of a warming panel. Laurasea has referenced it numerous times, if you search her threads you will find it. I would recommend this because it does not get Too hot.
That's sound great but at the moment I don't have any money. All I have is a 250 watt chicken light :/

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
Hi Kakyo

Fiddlejen gave you a great advice! I do not know your whereabouts, depending on where you are it may be difficult to find some more specialized heat source. Having said that, you must warm you baby bird or he can get sick. DO NOT use your 250 watt lamp, it is too much heat and too much bright! I use here a 50W lamp with reduced luminosity and even so I would rather to have a warming panel.

Please, try to borrow the money to purchase an adequate heat lamp or warming panel or heat pad, you will most likely use it many times as birds can require heat to recover from the simplest flu...

OP
Kakyoinlover

Kakyoinlover

Aug 21, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure
Hi Kakyo

Fiddlejen gave you a great advice! I do not know your whereabouts, depending on where you are it may be difficult to find some more specialized heat source. Having said that, you must warm you baby bird or he can get sick. DO NOT use your 250 watt lamp, it is too much heat and too much bright! I use here a 50W lamp with reduced luminosity and even so I would rather to have a warming panel.

Please, try to borrow the money to purchase an adequate heat lamp or warming panel or heat pad, you will most likely use it many times as birds can require heat to recover from the simplest flu...
Current I have to use the lamp or nothing. I am keeping it at a far distance and am gonna switch it out for a much much lower watt red bulb on friday. I really don't have any option to switch the bulb until then sadly :(. So until I swap it I have a blanket on half the cage so my bird (who I decided name calcifer) can get out of and away from the light. I am really trying to do the best that I can with the stuff I have on hand.

Most Reactions