Help on budgie diet

ฯฮนgฯฮนzฯ…

Oct 25, 2021
Indiana
Parrots
โ‹†โœง ๐’ซ๐“Š๐“‚๐“…๐“€๐’พ๐“ƒ ~ ๐น๐‘’๐“‚๐’ถ๐“๐‘’ ๐’œ๐“‚๐‘’๐“‡๐’พ๐’ธ๐’ถ๐“ƒ ๐’ฎ๐’ฝโ™ก๐“‡๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐’พ๐“‡๐‘’๐’น ๐’ข๐“Š๐’พ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐’ถ-๐“…๐’พ๐‘”

๐’ซ๐‘’๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“Š๐“‰ ~ ๐‘€๐’ถ๐“๐‘’ ๐’œ๐“‚๐‘’๐“‡๐’พ๐’ธ๐’ถ๐“ƒ ๐’ฎ๐’ฝ๐Ÿฌ๐“‡๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐’พ๐“‡๐‘’๐’น ๐’ข๐“Š๐’พ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐’ถ-๐“…๐’พ๐‘” โœงโ‹†
Hai, I'm getting a budgie that's housed alone due to aggression next month and I'm trying to make a good diet of seeds, pellets, and veggies. Where may I find pellets? I already have seeds and veggies!

kpsanchez77

Oct 25, 2021
Chattanooga, TN
Parrots
2 Sun Conures
Darby & Duncan
Hai, I'm getting a budgie that's housed alone due to aggression next month and I'm trying to make a good diet of seeds, pellets, and veggies. Where may I find pellets? I already have seeds and veggies!
These people have a fantastic feeding system and part of it is cold-pressed pellets they sell. Good luck with your new adventure!!

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Seeds are treats, they should be used as rewards. Do not leave seeds in the cage, as birds will overeat them if left in the cage.
You can buy pellets online or maybe at a local bird store. Remember to use organic, all-natural pellets free of artificial colors and preservatives.
Also, you don't have to, but some things you might want to add to the diet are grains, herbs, and legumes. It's just good if the bird has some extra variety, but if you can't get your hands on these, it's okay.
Finally, unrelated to your question, but I think you should do something about your bird's aggressive behavior. If you need help with that, I suggest you make a new thread.

Dec 9, 2021
Media
Parrots
Moon the budgie (M, 2y.o)
Silvia the budgie (F, 1/2y.o)
It's spelled Silvia not Sylvia
I would recommend a lot of veggies and pellets. Seeds should be in less than 30% of the bird's diet. ZuPreem Smart Select pellets is a good brand to look at!

vljenewein

Dec 1, 2021
Fennville, MI
Parrots
Rocky & Adrian - Budgerigars
Lafeber has good pellets that were designed by an Avian Veterinarian years ago. Uses low temp and pressure to make the pellets/granules. You can poke around and read about the company and food offerings in this link: https://lafeber.com/
Also here is a link for 10 best Parakeet foods for 2021. https://petkeen.com/best-parakeet-foods/

Getting a proper variety of seeds, which are fresh, is also important. Most seeds contain fats, and some such as sunflower, can provide too much fat content. Even pellets are made of seeds and grains, with other added ingredients, like added vegetables and fruits. In the wilds of Australia, where the Budgie is indigenous, their staple is a lot of variety of seeds and some greens.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Here are all the problems birds can get from seed diets
-fatty liver disease
-shortened lifespan (by years)
-poor feather condition
-obesity
-heart disease
-diabetes
-so, so much more

Last edited by a moderator:

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
wild diet of budgies are mainly seeds and don't have any health problems
That's because they fly for miles every day and as a result, are able to burn off all those calories. Captive birds don't get nearly as much exercise.
The diet of wild wolves are large mammals like deer, elk, bison, etc. You wouldn't feed that to a pet dog, would you?

vljenewein

Dec 1, 2021
Fennville, MI
Parrots
Rocky & Adrian - Budgerigars
The diet of wild wolves are large mammals like deer, elk, bison, etc. You wouldn't feed that to a pet dog, would you?
Well, there is quite a large following of feeding pet dogs a raw meat diet over processed dog foods. Some say they live healthier and longer lives. I knew of a Greyhound breeder, that grabbed up every road kill deer that he could and fed to his Greyhounds. Some of them were champion runners. Oshkosh Juliet and Oshkosh Rambo ....
My opinion is that animals eat what they need. When they are no longer hungry they stop eating. So if a pellet is made up of seeds and you don't withhold pellets from the birds, then they are still eating a lot of seeds with fats, correct? I have seen the contents of many pellet feeds and some have sunflower seeds in them as well as a pretty high amount of fat content. Grant it, pellets have other ingredrients and supplements added to them, mostly vitamin and mineral supplements but also some minor amounts of vegetables and some minor amounts of fruit.
When you read the label of ingredients, in U.S. they list the highest ingredient first, followed by the 2nd highest, then third highest and so on. Down the line of ingredients it gets pretty small amounts , or % of ingredients.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Well, there is quite a large following of feeding pet dogs a raw meat diet over processed dog foods. Some say they live healthier and longer lives. I knew of a Greyhound breeder, that grabbed up every road kill deer that he could and fed to his Greyhounds. Some of them were champion runners. Oshkosh Juliet and Oshkosh Rambo ....
My opinion is that animals eat what they need. When they are no longer hungry they stop eating. So if a pellet is made up of seeds and you don't withhold pellets from the birds, then they are still eating a lot of seeds with fats, correct? I have seen the contents of many pellet feeds and some have sunflower seeds in them as well as a pretty high amount of fat content. Grant it, pellets have other ingredrients and supplements added to them, mostly vitamin and mineral supplements but also some minor amounts of vegetables and some minor amounts of fruit.
When you read the label of ingredients, in U.S. they list the highest ingredient first, followed by the 2nd highest, then third highest and so on. Down the line of ingredients it gets pretty small amounts , or % of ingredients.
My opinion is that animals deserve good care and those who can't provide that should not have a pet

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Dear members, this thread is beginning to deviate away from @pizuPDNโ€™s original intent and descend into personal attack. This is not only not helpful to the OP, but also against this forum's objectives in being a positive, friendly place for all. Other debates and differing viewpoints will inevitably surface alongside the original topic on a thread like this and they are also welcome, provided they can be discussed without hostility, animosity or insult. May I respectfully request that members please bear this in mind when posting. Thank you.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Fox, I respect that there in the USA you have pellets like a main diet for birds. I know pellets are widely spread in USA. I respect that, but I do not feel a need to convert my budgies on pellets. Questions is : what would I gain by that?
A healthy bird with a longer lifespan, probably
Believe me - a bird who has been on a pellet diet for a while looks so much better than one on a seed diet
I have a 'zon who was on a seed diet for 13 years before coming to me and I can't emphasize enough how much healthier he looks now, and how much more he's enjoying his life...

Last edited:
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Reward for training.

Edit: I also give my budgies a bit of seed on top of their chop. 1/4 teaspoon for 3 birds. But the point is that they eat their chop after. I'm not saying seeds should be banned, but they shouldn't be a main diet, or anything close.

Last edited:
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Fox, I respect that there in the USA you have pellets like a main diet for birds. I know pellets are widely spread in USA. I respect that, but I do not feel a need to convert my budgies on pellets. Questions is : what would I gain by that?
It's not about what you gain from it, it's about the bird. I mean, what would you lose? Less than the bird would by staying on a seed diet, that's for sure!

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
I want everybody to remember that what you feed is not a "personal choice" or anything like that. A good diet is crucial for the health and well-being of the bird.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I want everybody to remember that what you feed is not a "personal choice" or anything like that. A good diet is crucial for the health and well-being of the bird.
The thing is that there are different schools of thought regarding a good diet. My small birds all get seeds along with their pellets, and my large birds get seeds and pellets in their overnight dish. They do not overeat and any tests they have had run showed them perfectly healthy.
I received the advice on what to feed my birds from an Avian vet, and I trust her knowledge.
Thank you to all for being civil now, it's so much better to let other people have opinions without fear of name calling or judgement.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
The thing is that there are different schools of thought regarding a good diet. My small birds all get seeds along with their pellets, and my large birds get seeds and pellets in their overnight dish. They do not overeat and any tests they have had run showed them perfectly healthy.
I received the advice on what to feed my birds from an Avian vet, and I trust her knowledge.
Thank you to all for being civil now, it's so much better to let other people have opinions without fear of name calling or judgement.
Agreed.
Different parrots also have unique dietary needs, so it's not really a one-size-fits-all kind of thing.

Minor_Arcana

Supporting Member
Aug 17, 2018
Media
Iowa
Parrots
Lexa - 4 year old โ€˜tiel
Zephyr - 2 year old quaker
I buy my pellets online because I donโ€™t have bird stores near me, so Iโ€™d have to make a 1.5 hr drive often to get food, which I would prefer not to do. Mysafebirdstore.com is my go-to website. As for brands of pellets, I highly recommend TOPS, Harrisonโ€™s, and Lafeberโ€™s. Lafeberโ€™s and Harrisonโ€™s will both send you free samples if you email them so you can try them with your bird to make sure it likes the food! Roudybush is also a great brand that sends samples, although personally I prefer other brands. Good luck!

Most Reactions

Latest posts