Help! Painful molt or illness in budgie?

editrixlex

Mar 13, 2023
Parrots
2 rescue parakeets
Hi,
I have 2 rescue parakeets--I know nothing about their pasts or their ages. I have a lot of experience with small parrots but this issue is new to me.
One of them is having what I thought was a painful molt--puffed up and quiet, but still eating and flying occasionally. But now we're on Day 4 and he's showing no signs of improvement.
The vet here only sees birds for wellness checks. The emergency avian vet is 90 minutes away, and this parakeet doesn't tolerate being handled. (I suspect he was abused before I rescued him.)
Thoughts?
Thanks!

Attachments

• puck.jpg
    puck.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 28

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hi,
I have 2 rescue parakeets--I know nothing about their pasts or their ages. I have a lot of experience with small parrots but this issue is new to me.
One of them is having what I thought was a painful molt--puffed up and quiet, but still eating and flying occasionally. But now we're on Day 4 and he's showing no signs of improvement.
The vet here only sees birds for wellness checks. The emergency avian vet is 90 minutes away, and this parakeet doesn't tolerate being handled. (I suspect he was abused before I rescued him.)
Thoughts?
Thanks!
A puffy and lethargic bird is a sick one. If you can’t get him to the Avian vet, can the local vet do any tests at all?

Most Reactions

Latest posts