HELP!! Parakeet molt???

Mariam0203

Oct 28, 2021
Parrots
Cockateils and Parakeets
I've had a quite a few parakeets but have never seen a molt this bad before. I've noticed bald patches on his head a day or two ago and I can't tell if he's just having a miserable molt or if it's a deadly disease known as PBFD. He's acting completely fine and playing and eating, but it still bother me a lot to look at him like this. I'm also thinking he mightve gotten into a fight with one of the males but I'm not sure. What do you guys think? I'm really worried about him 😞

Attachments

• 20211028_213157.jpg
    20211028_213157.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 20211028_213142.jpg
    20211028_213142.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 20211028_213128.jpg
    20211028_213128.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 135

Koko_the_fluf

Oct 16, 2021
Media
Seoul, South Korea
Parrots
Koko (green cheeked cinnamon conure gotcha date 5.18 2020)
It can be mold. There is a low possibility it's PBFD BUT If your bird's feathers are bleeding or if they are very messy then you should go to the vet right away ( If it's fine still go to the vet to be safe)

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I've had a quite a few parakeets but have never seen a molt this bad before. I've noticed bald patches on his head a day or two ago and I can't tell if he's just having a miserable molt or if it's a deadly disease known as PBFD. He's acting completely fine and playing and eating, but it still bother me a lot to look at him like this. I'm also thinking he mightve gotten into a fight with one of the males but I'm not sure. What do you guys think? I'm really worried about him 😞
Welcome to the forums, Mariam and your little cutie! PBFD is certainly a very worrying condition -it's difficult to say from this distance whether your budgie is suffering from it or whether, as you say, he might just be having a bit of a miserable moult. My Val is pretty grumpy for exactly that reason right now, and I certainly have had budgies in the past who have lost a clump of feathers in that same spot in a fight with another bird so that might be a factor for you too.

It would be interesting to know how old your budgie is too, since PBFD generally affects younger birds. Have you ever noticed any abnormality in his feathers before? Affected birds' feathers are usually short and can show abnormalities such as a thickened or constricted feather sheath or clotted blood attached to the formed feather quill, and I think you might have seen some abnormalities before now if PBFD was the culprit.

Of course nobody knows your birds' regular behaviour or demeanor better than you, so if he is showing indications that concern you a trip to the vet to have him tested is the best idea. The link below will help you find one if you are not already acquainted with one...

Thank you for joining, and I wish your little guy all the very best!🙏

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hi, beautiful budgie!!
Budgie are the one species that seem to be able to handle PBFD. But they present differently, instead of loosing feathers on head , the loose all their tail feathers, and sometimes wing feathers. Of course everybody can be different. But I'm inclined to guess this Is not PBFD.

My guess is a scuffle....or something else entirely.

Concerns are always best addressed by avian veterinarian. We are just regular folks sharing our experiences. Burds are complex .

A good tool to help monitor health is regular weight checks, weekly in healthy birds, daily when issues or sick and during treatment . Because most burds loose weight when sick as they burn way more calories. Because budgies are flighty that's a little harder. What I did was remove perches and toys, took the cage into the bathroom, or bedroom. Get a Tupperware, or box, or container that's just large enough to hold them. Put it on the scale and zero it out. Turn off the lights and reach in and grab them. Put them in the container and weigh them. Return to cage and put everything back in. I had to treat duck birds for nearly a year and that worked well with less stress.

In fact just this evening my avian vet who is also a longtime freind, was talking about a sick budgie. She stressed the importance to them about monitoring weight during treatment. She shared with them how we had done that with mine, and how helpful it was.

I don't know what you feed yours? Molt is a little stressful on birds they need more calories and a small bump in protein. You can offer egg food , make sure is in date and nit spoiled, as it spoils easy. Or offer a little boiled egg, mine live boiled egg, and you can remove un eaten ( I give them around 20 min) then I remove. Hopefully you offer leafy greens and veggies as part of their diet. That provides missing nutrients that all seed diet lack.

This article talks about budgie sometimes never show symptoms, and has one picture of another grass parakeet showing the more typical appearance that budgies would have. It does have some graphic images if you are sensitive. I couldn't find the better article I read before, but this will fo

Last edited:

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Guys... Look at the bald patch - it's FULL of new pinnies!
Budgies sometimes look so scraggy when moulting, and a litteral hedgehog.

I give my 2 cents it's just moulting. Seen exactly this on mine and on other budgies quite often. My Csilli is starting a moult again as we speak...

Most Reactions

Latest posts