Help please! Conure beak closed in drawer

Immeum

Nov 24, 2017
My baby got her beak slammed into a drawer by my husband. being closed and now seems to be unable to eat anything. I am so nervous and upset I don't know what I need to do to help her. This happened about 30 minutes ago. She wants to eat, she keeps going to her favorite foods. I did not see this happen. At first she seemed paralyzed with fear. I was afraid it was her neck because she seemed dazed. Now she is moving around, seeming more active. She's making her normal noises. Seems happy and no longer scared. But she's not closing her beak at all. I am sick with worry. Hopefully over nothing. Do any of you have any advice? I am so scared!

OP
I

Immeum

Nov 24, 2017
My baby got her beak slammed into a drawer by my husband. being closed and now seems to be unable to eat anything. I am so nervous and upset I don't know what I need to do to help her. This happened about 30 minutes ago. She wants to eat, she keeps going to her favorite foods. I did not see this happen. At first she seemed paralyzed with fear. I was afraid it was her neck because she seemed dazed. Now she is moving around, seeming more active. She's making her normal noises. Seems happy and no longer scared. But she's not closing her beak at all. I am sick with worry. Hopefully over nothing. Do any of you have any advice? I am so scared!
Right now she is trying hard to eat but seems unable to. so worried....

OP
I

Immeum

Nov 24, 2017
My husband was slamming a drawer closed and my super fast baby jumped into it as it was closing. I am so afraid. She does not seem to be able to use it to eat. She tries but cannot. What can I do? We are very rural and not near any avian vet. I need to help her but don't know how. I am scared out of my mind. Can anyone offer any suggestions!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm so sorry this happened to your baby, they are so fast:(
Are you sure there are no avian vets anywhere close? If she is struggling to eat, she really needs to see an avian vet, or a vet who sees birds. They can give her something for pain that will help.

We have a Vet Resource Thread with vets listed from around the world. I'll attach it in hopes there may be one that you are unaware of.
Sending healing prayers to your sweet girl.

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Greater Toronto Area, Canada
Parrots
Sun Conure son (with me in spirit);
Baby Robin (my son's reincarnation? RIP);
Red Factor Sun Conure (adopted);
Magpie (rescued as baby, returned to the wild after 1 year, 24+ years ago).
Would a syringe work?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I would do my best to find an avian vet as she may be in a lot of pain! Or an emergency vet as itā€™s currently the weekend.

Also she will get hungry eventually and I donā€™t know how sheā€™ll be able to eat. Maybe you could feed her soft food, mushy soaked pellets, oatmeal, grits, something?

Iā€™m so sorry!

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
Oh, you must be so worried!

If you don't have an avian vet nearby I'd try calling any vets near you that might have bird experience or even any emergency vet that would see her. I agree that this injury sounds like something to get seen as soon as you possibly can. I'd be worried sick too, I'm so sorry you're all going through this!

Until you can get her in, try to keep her warm. Does she eat any pellets? You could try making a paste from warm water and ground up pellets, and feed it on the end of a spoon of she can still lick and swallow. I've also used baby bird formula powder to make a paste for my bird - it's sold at stores like Petco or PetSmart, maybe Walmart, that might still be open tonight.

Please keep us updated and know that we're all thinking of you and your baby!

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Parrotsā€˜ beaks are very sensitive, itā€™s like closing your thumb in a drawer. There are tons of nerve endings, because the bird uses its beak to explore the world, decide if something is food, if itā€™s too hard/too soft to chewā€¦the beak could be broken, or a muscle could be damaged, or a nerve could be hurt. So the poor thing could be in a lot of pain, and it wonā€™t take too long to begin to starve.

Thatā€™s why people are suggesting you find a certified avian vet, or at least a vet that specializes in ā€œexoticsā€. You might try calling the nearest zoo for names if you canā€™t find one. As people have suggestedā€¦try to be sure the bird has water available, and you can try to mash up some soft bread in water, something very liquid, to help get calories into the bird. A vet can give something for pain, maybe a local injection, take x-raysā€¦.this must be very distressing for everyone and painful for the parrot, so I hope you are able to find help. Keep us posted!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Yes, as kentuckienne wrote, the beak is not all dead tissue. It is living tissue at the base and throughout part of the beak. Your poor bird may be feeling something like having a broken jaw or fractured head. If she wonā€™t move her beak, this is ā€œloss of function ā€œ and it indicates an injury.

Please get this bird some help. There are nsaid and opioid pain medications for birds. Whatever a vet would recommend.

And please let us know how she does, please.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I see you are writing that you are very rural. Maybe an ice pack would help. Supportive care, feeding her soft food and keeping her warm, is a very good idea. Can you call an emergency or regular vet for help? I donā€™t know where you live so I canā€™t find a number for you but you can find one on the internet.

Most Reactions