Help please! Eclectus Eye Problem!

ChetEclectus

Feb 24, 2022
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot
Has anyone ever seen this eye problem? My Eclectus parrot developed a small bump/swelling on his inner eyelid back in November. I took him to the vet who stated it was a stye and to just watch it. I took him back to the vet last month and he said the same thing. The feathers are now all gone around his eye and today his eye looks more wet than usual. Also the spot on his eye is now spreading and becoming more swollen on what looks like his entire upper eyelid. He keeps itching it it seems very uncomfortable and now his other eye is starting to do the same thing. Has anyone seen this? I have a feeling it’s not just a stye and am becoming very concerned. Thank you for your input!!

Attachments

• EC04A535-3045-4381-BD46-799AD55E7E19.jpeg
    EC04A535-3045-4381-BD46-799AD55E7E19.jpeg
    363.4 KB · Views: 152

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Is your vet an avian vet? Normal dog/cat vets aren't really helpful.

I hope he gets better!

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Oh, well then I don't think I can help.

Other issues it could be(Please take this like a grain of sand) are stuff like tumors, cysts, it could also be an abscess. Not sure though.

My best advice is to try and find another avian vet, preferably a Certified Avian Vet.

OP
C

ChetEclectus

Feb 24, 2022
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot
I called the vet today and he put Chet on ofloxacin antibiotic for an eye infection. I hope he gets better quickly! Thanks for all your replies

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
awww poor baby!
That is scary to look at, I'm a bit squeamish with eye stuff...

Parrots have an orbital sinus. So possibly an infection originated in there. Tho when mine had one it was puffy infront of the eye.

Because Vitamin A plays a big role in respiratory health and immune health. And ekkie are prone to low vitamin A ( I think)
I would offer cooked sweet potatoes, cooked carrots, and the yellow/orange/red bell pepper as well as romaine lettuce all great sources.

What does yours eat?

Most Reactions

Latest posts