Help please I noticed my green winged macaw's feathers are sticking together

Kash

Feb 9, 2020
Pakistan
Parrots
Green winged macaw (2 years old) Named Zack
When I opened his right wing there was some white and black Clump under feather which were thick to touch like some keratin overgrown and few feathers were sticking from it
Then yesterday his Black clump fell down as he was preening himself,that black clump had Dried blood
He's active and not bleeding but I'm worried that what if he bleeds?
What's this Black clump that fell?

Attachments

• 20220703_190820.jpg
    20220703_190820.jpg
    340 KB · Views: 79
  • 20220703_085127.jpg
    20220703_085127.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 80
  • VideoCapture_20220704-112323.jpg
    VideoCapture_20220704-112323.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 80
OP
K

Kash

Feb 9, 2020
Pakistan
Parrots
When I opened his right wing there was some white and black Clump under feather which were thick to touch like some keratin overgrown and few feathers were sticking from it
Then yesterday his Black clump fell down as he was preening himself,that black clump had Dried blood

Attachments

• 20220704_050425.jpg
    20220704_050425.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 84

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
I wish I could help, but I really don't know. I'm just commenting to keep it up top and hope someone else sees it that can help. How's your birdie doing today?

OP
K

Kash

Feb 9, 2020
Pakistan
Parrots
I wish I could help, but I really don't know. I'm just commenting to keep it up top and hope someone else sees it that can help. How's your birdie doing today?
He's active and preening a lot because of his molting period
But I'm still worried because of these black clumps
My guess is that maybe he broke blood feather someday but breakage might be so minute that it clotted immediately...I'm still afraid that what If he breaks it?
Sadly my area has no qualified Vets and Zac is terrified of people other than Me

OP
K

Kash

Feb 9, 2020
Pakistan
Parrots
He's active and preening a lot because of his molting period
But I'm still worried because of these black clumps
My guess is that maybe he broke blood feather someday but breakage might be so minute that it clotted immediately...I'm still afraid that what If he breaks it?
Sadly my area has no qualified Vets and Zac is terrified of people other than Ms
Could it maybe be blood / a blood feather? That broke and dried?
Yes I have the same guess
That's why I'm terrified .I keep on checking the bottom of cage every minute

Icca

Feb 1, 2022
Does seem like it could be blood feathers. You could try putting one of them on a white paper then drip some water on it. If it's dry blood it will leach red onto the paper.
I suppose that's only step 1 tho.
Next would be to figure if it's a reoccurring problem.
Until you can figure if any new feathers are clumping up I would give him a really good soaking bath.

Could also try getting a good look at his skin and see if you can see any mites or parasites. Sometimes they are hard to see but look for spots on the skin that look different. Could be a extra dry spot or something that looks almost like dandruff.

I would check skin take pictures of odd skin.
Then soaking bath.
Then give us a update maybe some more info can help us help you guys

OP
K

Kash

Feb 9, 2020
Pakistan
Parrots
Does seem like it could be blood feathers. You could try putting one of them on a white paper then drip some water on it. If it's dry blood it will leach red onto the paper.
I suppose that's only step 1 tho.
Next would be to figure if it's a reoccurring problem.
Until you can figure if any new feathers are clumping up I would give him a really good soaking bath.

Could also try getting a good look at his skin and see if you can see any mites or parasites. Sometimes they are hard to see but look for spots on the skin that look different. Could be a extra dry spot or something that looks almost like dandruff.

I would check skin take pictures of odd skin.
Then soaking bath.
Then give us a update maybe some more info can help us help you guys
See
Are they bird mites? He's a well kept baby...I always give him baths and sanitise his cage and surroundings like open perches and toys
What should I do now? I'm so worried that I ordered some Mites spray for pet store

Attachments

• 20220708_063033.jpg
    20220708_063033.jpg
    409.7 KB · Views: 71

Icca

Feb 1, 2022
Try not to worry. Mites are most common on birds that go outside so if he is indoors only it may not be mites. However it's best to try and figure all possibilities and then start eliminating some. To find out if it's mites clean the bottom of his cage then put plain white paper in the tray. If it's mites you should be able to see them on the paper in the morning.
I'm not trying to scare you, just trying to eliminate possible causes for the sticky feathers.

OP
K

Kash

Feb 9, 2020
Pakistan
Parrots
Try not to worry. Mites are most common on birds that go outside so if he is indoors only it may not be mites. However it's best to try and figure all possibilities and then start eliminating some. To find out if it's mites clean the bottom of his cage then put plain white paper in the tray. If it's mites you should be able to see them on the paper in the morning.
I'm not trying to scare you, just trying to eliminate possible causes for the sticky feathers.
How do they appear on the bottom? Like blood drop?
Also how should I eliminate them?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
The blackish clump looks like a short blood feather that got broken off, with clotted blood adhering to it. Itā€™s not a mite or mites, and in fact mites are rare in pet parrots.

OP
K

Kash

Feb 9, 2020
Pakistan
Parrots
Whenever he tries to pick at his broken blood feather which is already clotted under his left side of wing ,his beak appears red .a little spot but fresh blood
When I check his feathers they appear clotted but no active bleeding
What should I do? As he wont stop picking at them
The blackish clump looks like a short blood feather that got broken off, with clotted blood adhering to it. Itā€™s not a mite or mites, and in fact mites are rare in pet parrots

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I know you said you don't have any avian vets available in your area. It is so important to take your macaw to a vet when it comes to this sort of thing. That way they can find the source of the issue, and try to help. If it's a skin infection causing your parrot to pick at their feathers it will be a continual issue. Once a parrot goes on picking at themselves for awhile feather plucking will become hibitual. At this point the parrot will be feather plucking/distruction for 2 reasons. These are very hard issues to address, and some will never be able to get their parrot to stop picking at themselves. I would highly suggest getting your Macaw to the vet even if it is just a molting issue. Maybe there is something to help your parrot make it through molting. Some parrots don't do well with their molting experiences.

I do 100% agree with the poster as this is what dried up blood feathers look like. It usually occurs when the parrot only partially pulls out a feather. It bleeds a little, and then the next time the parrot goes to rip it out this is the end result. One of my parrots does this a lot.

I hope your Macaw is okay! Best of wishes

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I forgot to mention that what I do if my parrot is bleeding to get it to stop is put gental pressure where its bleeding with a finger. Do wash your hands before, and after, or use medical gloves. I towel my parrot for this process. I do this by using a hand towel, and wrapping that around him. I do not have the towel so snug that it is going to cause harm. I then hold my parrot like a football in an essence so he can't move around a lot, and get harmed.

I know others use corn startch, or styptic powder to clot a blood feather, or nail. They just use a little water, and a little of the powder to create a very thick paste. Then they apply it.

OP
K

Kash

Feb 9, 2020
Pakistan
Parrots
I know you said you don't have any avian vets available in your area. It is so important to take your macaw to a vet when it comes to this sort of thing. That way they can find the source of the issue, and try to help. If it's a skin infection causing your parrot to pick at their feathers it will be a continual issue. Once a parrot goes on picking at themselves for awhile feather plucking will become hibitual. At this point the parrot will be feather plucking/distruction for 2 reasons. These are very hard issues to address, and some will never be able to get their parrot to stop picking at themselves. I would highly suggest getting your Macaw to the vet even if it is just a molting issue. Maybe there is something to help your parrot make it through molting. Some parrots don't do well with their molting experiences.

I do 100% agree with the poster as this is what dried up blood feathers look like. It usually occurs when the parrot only partially pulls out a feather. It bleeds a little, and then the next time the parrot goes to rip it out this is the end result. One of my parrots does this a lot.

I'd try my best to go to Vet...what would happen if he rips it again?

OP
K

Kash

Feb 9, 2020
Pakistan
Parrots

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
If vet says he has no illness, then it could be self-mutilation/plucking...

I'd guess he's pulling his feathers due to health issues...

I hope your bird will get better soon!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Please donā€™t conclude thereā€™s something very wrong with your bird. Lots of birds break blood feathers, especially if they are young or clumsy. If I had a wing or a tail I would constantly be whacking it on things. Wouldnā€™t mean that there was a terrible problem. Would mean that Iā€™m a klutz!!

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Please donā€™t conclude thereā€™s something very wrong with your bird. Lots of birds break blood feathers, especially if they are young or clumsy. If I had a wing or a tail I would constantly be whacking it on things. Wouldnā€™t mean that there was a terrible problem. Would mean that Iā€™m a klutz!!
Agreed. Unless there is is picking and breaking of blood feathers very often it might be ok...

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Willow had a tail feather sticking out at a wrong angle last night. He dropped it this morning while preening.

This is what a blood feather looks like.
image.jpg

Most Reactions

Latest posts