Help please what's this thing in my cockatiels nostril and eye

Lourd0912

May 15, 2021
Baghdad/Iraq
Parrots
Cheeko
hello everyone, I'm new here and I need help

today I got my baby cockatiel and he's 22 days old
I noticed this thing in his eye and his nostril (I attached pictures) and I'm kinda worried about him having respiratory problems in the future, is he alright? what is it?

I asked my neighbor (who raises pigeons) about it and he said that it's fine probably something from the egg(??) still latched onto him and that it'll be gone when he grows older.

still, I wanted to check with you guys so if you know anything or experienced something like before please do help!
Thank you a lot

Attachments

• photo_2021-05-15_22-01-51.jpg
    photo_2021-05-15_22-01-51.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 307
  • photo_2021-05-15_22-01-53.jpg
    photo_2021-05-15_22-01-53.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 142
  • photo_2021-05-15_22-01-50.jpg
    photo_2021-05-15_22-01-50.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 112
  • photo_2021-05-15_22-01-52.jpg
    photo_2021-05-15_22-01-52.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 156
  • photo_2021-05-15_22-01-54.jpg
    photo_2021-05-15_22-01-54.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 112

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
That bird is much too young to be sold.
I would contact the person you got him from to take care of him till he is fully weaned.

This bird still needs regular feeding of formula several times a day.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Appears to be an impacted nostril!
An Avian Medical Professional can care for that quickly.

Not sure about the eye.

Buying young Parrots increases the likelihood of such problems.

Quality Breeders Never Sell Parrots that are full-weened and on solid food for at least two weeks.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
The nostril is plugged indicates infection possible from aspiration during feeding. Need an avian vet right away. Babies fade away and pass very quickly, usually in a couple of days if not treated.

Most babies sold as unweaned die . You must see vet help immediately. You must have thermometer to get formula the right temperature. Babies must be kept warm. This sge probably still needs round tge clock feeding

They eye thing not sure.

Babies need very specific levels if warmth, feeding abd formula must be the exact right temperature. Cleanliness of all sll feeding, and fresh made formula each time.
https://iqbirdtesting.com/hand-rearing-parrots-some-basic-guidelines/

" Brooder temperature. The smaller the young, the higher the temperature required; the more feathered it becomes the less heat required. Behavior will be the primary gauge as to what is the ideal temperature.
My recommendation is to start newly hatched young at a temperature of 36.6 degrees C. This heat is required by most species. In newly hatched Eclectus Parrots kept at a lower temperature, the chicks become hyperactive to warm themselves, suffer bruising of the limbs and become dehydrated.

At the ideal temperature, the chicks should not pant but they should not be shivering. A classic sign of chilling is slowed digestion. When chicks are content, they sleep long periods of time. In a group they will huddle together, or stay slightly separate. As they age, the temperature can be reduced slowly. Once outside the brooder, we place them in tubs partly covered with a towel. They are then maintained at room temperature.

Brooder humidity. I recommend keeping the young at between 40-50% humidity. This will keep their skin supple. Humidity is an important consideration and in the wild is increased by adding fresh leaves to the nest. If inadequate, the young can become dehydrated or their skin will begin to flake off." Taken from above link

https://hari.ca/hari/research-facil...cine-pediatrics-housing-feeding-baby-parrots/

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts