Help please with jealous biting/reprimand

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Han Solo - SI Male Eclectus
Hi all.
usually my boy is fairly sweet, but he does have a nasty habit of jealous biting.

the biggest example is I cannot talk on my mobile he will come over and pinch bite me. Today though I answered a call, on speaker (because I wonā€™t have it near my face) He flew over to watch me, once he saw me touched it to turn it off and move it safe.., he flew to the phone , placed himself between me and the phone growled at me. So I just sat there. He then took off and flew to my hand hand promptly bit me, I told him no, and asked him to step up onto my other hand he growled and tried to bite me again.

so I took him to his cage, said ā€œbad bird no bitingā€ and put him away. On the way there I think he tried to say something like ā€œgood boyā€œ in a quizzical voice.
I can only see this getting worse and I donā€™t know how to stop it before he breaks skin.
I usually take phone calls out of the room, but thatā€™s not always possible, it not only the phone he is jealous of. Itā€™s things I can pick up.
does anyone have any advice on how I can help stop this behaviour.

thank you.

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Punishment does not work with parrots. WHat you are teaching him that if he wants to g back to the cage, he should bite you. Try the shunning method. If he bites ( and its definitely not your fault) place him on a nearby neutral place, like a chair back immediately and turn your back to him. no eye contact no talking to or about him, for 1 minute. Then you can resume contact with him. THis is how flocks discipline unruly members in the wild.

OP
Talaya

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Punishment does not work with parrots. WHat you are teaching him that if he wants to g back to the cage, he should bite you. Try the shunning method. If he bites ( and its definitely not your fault) place him on a nearby neutral place, like a chair back immediately and turn your back to him. no eye contact no talking to or about him, for 1 minute. Then you can resume contact with him. THis is how flocks discipline unruly members in the wild.
Thank You wrench, yes I understand this happens. When I have to do this, when he is back on a perch , he postures and gives me the stink glare and growls hard.. So Iā€™m pretty sure that heā€™s not biting me actually asking to go back, his door is open, he knows heā€™s going back because he bit. Itā€™s just for 30 mins of time out.
He is attacking me because my attention is on my phone, or iPad or sewing or TV remote or games controller.. but today is the first time heā€™s actually flown to me whilst growling in flight and to bitten me, Iā€™d actually put my phone down by then.
He understands the meaning of a few words including the word no, and ow.
He actually said ā€˜owā€˜ in a clear human voice when he preenEd too hard. His first ever whole clear word. I will try the shunning on a chair

Last edited:

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
His determination and follow through is pretty impressive even though it stinks!

Do you think it's that the phone is pulling your attention away from him? My dog starts barking every time I start talking on the phone - she knows it's different than me just talking to myself or her or my parrot.

Maybe try linking the phone to something he really likes? Is there a certain treat he likes? Or a puzzle type toy? Say that he likes walnuts and will spend time trying to get them out of a paper towel tube stuffed with papers.

The idea would be to slowly work him up to being able to play/forage with this super awesome treat puzzle he only gets when you're on the phone.

I've used an alarm on my phone set to my ringtone for training. That way I can control when it happens - ideally when everyone is calm and happy. First I just give treats and pull out the quiet phone, set it aside, treat treat treat. Repeat a few times. Then if all stays happy next step set the alarm to ring - when it rings treat treat treat turn off and lots of praise. Then on to picking up the phone, turn off ringer, treat treat treat. Then pick up, say hello, treat treat treat. Etc. Or whatever you think might work to change the association of you on phone = make a scene ;)

I also just go in the bathroom to answer the phone but nobody's waited and growled at me to make a point! You have a smart one :)

OP
Talaya

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
His determination and follow through is pretty impressive even though it stinks!

Do you think it's that the phone is pulling your attention away from him? My dog starts barking every time I start talking on the phone - she knows it's different than me just talking to myself or her or my parrot.

Maybe try linking the phone to something he really likes? Is there a certain treat he likes? Or a puzzle type toy? Say that he likes walnuts and will spend time trying to get them out of a paper towel tube stuffed with papers.

The idea would be to slowly work him up to being able to play/forage with this super awesome treat puzzle he only gets when you're on the phone.

I've used an alarm on my phone set to my ringtone for training. That way I can control when it happens - ideally when everyone is calm and happy. First I just give treats and pull out the quiet phone, set it aside, treat treat treat. Repeat a few times. Then if all stays happy next step set the alarm to ring - when it rings treat treat treat turn off and lots of praise. Then on to picking up the phone, turn off ringer, treat treat treat. Then pick up, say hello, treat treat treat. Etc. Or whatever you think might work to change the association of you on phone = make a scene ;)

I also just go in the bathroom to answer the phone but nobody's waited and growled at me to make a point! You have a smart one :)
thank you Cottonaid Iā€™ll have to try that.
Today, he was merryily on his swinging ball in the window, when the phone rang, he heard me talking.. flew over to a perch and watched me talk then after I toucned to hang up..It he hopped down onto a cushion and placed himself between the phone and my hand.. growled and grumbled.. Then flew up growling and bit my opposite hand. Not even the one that had touched the phone.
So yes my attention wasnā€™t on him at the beginning when it rang, but It was once he had hopped down, because I know what he is like. I often feel he is holding back because he doesnā€™t want to actually damage me.
Even though it was just one/two fairly hard bites today; it was a calculated attack by him after I had touched it. I will try the ring talk treat & see if that helps. X
I read that itā€™s important to stop Eclectus being nippy and bossy but it never explains how!

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Wow. That reminds me of my Quakers.

Sounds frustrating. I mean, heā€™s surely communicating with you clearly, but itā€™s not fun to be bossed around by a bird tyrant.

What about giving him the ā€œstink eyeā€ in return? Or would you end up in a contest of dirty looks because heā€™s sure heā€™s right and youā€™re sure youā€™re right? Oh dear.

OP
Talaya

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Wow. That reminds me of my Quakers.

Sounds frustrating. I mean, heā€™s surely communicating with you clearly, but itā€™s not fun to be bossed around by a bird tyrant.

What about giving him the ā€œstink eyeā€ in return? Or would you end up in a contest of dirty looks because heā€™s sure heā€™s right and youā€™re sure youā€™re right? Oh dear.
lol oh yes if I give him the stink eye he gives it back, or if I say no he growls at me. Heā€™s a very bossy birdie.
I did find though that he didnā€™t like the loud ring tone much. He once growled from across the room when it went off, so I changed it to a soothing twinkle one and so far Iā€™ve been able to pick it up in his presence. Iā€™ve also let him walk on it when itā€™s off and show him itā€™s no threat. I still go out of the room though if I can haha. Iā€™ve just started again to talk on speaker with him in the room, whilst he forages on his two stands. Itā€™s a distraction for him that worked today ā€¦

Most Reactions

Latest posts