HELP… please

Charlie9595

Oct 31, 2021
Parrots
Indian Ringneck parakeet
I have recently bought a 10 month old Ringneck and I’ve only had it about 3-4 days he or she is not hand reared and is petrified of hands I want to hand tame him any help would be appreciated.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Here are some links that might help you out:

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Apparently for my ever loving IRN according to my mum, it took way over 2 years for the bird to stop being fearful, and another 5 years to step up normally... Time, patience and a lot of coaxing! He was super loving in his own way, and was not afraid to steal any food :D at age of 10-12 he was my sweetest boy ever, completely tame. In his first years he'd be around my parents, on the table and such, but never let to be handled, only many years later.

You'll have to take it slow and gently. 5 days is litteraly nothing to the bird. Don't shove your hands in the cage, move gently around the cage. Give the bird some time to adjust to it's surounding. Leave a piece of apple on the cage when you pass by, through time the bird will be less fearful of you. Don't compare the bird's speed of taming to other birds, especially not other species. Follow your bird's pace and don't force interaction.

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
Mango the Indian Ringneck and Peach the Cockatiel; Kiwi found a new home
Good points above. I noticed improvements with my ringneck for two years, the latter half during covid when I was home all the time. One thing to be aware of is the hormonal period similar to puberty (bluffing), where there may be some aggression. It will pass. And I'd expect a year more of gentle dedication from you will be rewarded very well.

OP
C

Charlie9595

Oct 31, 2021
Parrots
Indian Ringneck parakeet
I’ve just left him alone and go about my daily life apart from changing his or her seed and cleaning the cage.
Hoping it will get used to me and give up the shyness

OP
C

Charlie9595

Oct 31, 2021
Parrots
Indian Ringneck parakeet
Another thing I live in London and I have a massive park behind my house full of Ringneck sand there passing over everyday once it hears them it goes nuts! 🤣

OP
C

Charlie9595

Oct 31, 2021
Parrots
Indian Ringneck parakeet
image.jpg
here the little fella hopefully.

Most Reactions