Help! See bump on conure not sure if normal

Love2hellokitty

Dec 27, 2016
Recently found out that my sun conure Leo is a girl. She started laying eggs a year or two ago and is around and is almost 13 years old. I noticed after her bath that she had a lump on her tummy. I have seen one like this before over the summer but it had went away. I had done some research and decided not to bring her to the vet because people were saying birds can die from having blood work or from the gas that puts them to sleep when examining. I am not sure if this bump is normal; wether it could be an egg or wether it could be her tummy crop going in and out from eating. It protrudes outward and does have a strange shape. Does anyone know what it could be? If there is a cure or what the risks could be? I am also scared to take her because i don't want her to catch anything; she has been 13 years strong without a vet I have had her since the 5th grade and love her. Has anyone had a similar problem and got it checked out; and if so do you know what it could be? Any help would be appreciated :) you can only see it when she is wet and looks completely healthy otherwise.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 336

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
A trained Avian Veterinarian should be competent and perfectly able to check Leo over.

Whatever your concerns are, should be addressed to the AV, a good one will listen to you. I can't see just to be examined would need her being given gas unless as she isn't used to the AV and puts up a fight?

Is she in any pain or discomfort? If I have any concerns about Plum, he goes to see my AV, end of! If Leo has never had one a health check would be sensible IMO.

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Yes, however awful it is, I would get established with an avian vet, if only just in case something happens in the future, you're all set up. The Rbird has never had a problem, but I still wrestle him to the vet avery now and then, and believe me, it's chaos!

OP
L

Love2hellokitty

Dec 27, 2016
I'm not sure if the bump is paining her; every single time i go to scoop her poop she goes foward and sticks her tail up; i think she thinks that I am her mate. She also does this randomly sometimes as well so I am not sure but it's definitely every time i put the scooper in the cage. There are times that i see her biting her feet/showing signs she may be in pain but she has been laying eggs again so I think that is why. I am scared because she is only civil with me; and even I would get bit if i tried to go near her belly so i know the vet would likely have to use the gas and I'm not sure what the mortality rate for the gas is; I've seen a lot of bad vet reviews online and she got hurt last time i took her to get her nails done (not at vet) but makes me scared. The review i saw about someone bringing bird home in a box really made me want to figure out if anyone knew what it was before i put her at risk or if its life threatening. I am confused about if their tummys look like that after they eat/ if its normal under their feathers I see it only when she bathes sometimes

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Please use the list of AV's on here or ask for a recommendation from our members if you give your location? Plum is given a whiff of gas each time he has blood taken but checks will have been made to ascertain that they are strong enough to do this.

IMO get that recommendation and then go see the AV if only to give Leo the experience of going there and back and you talking to the AV in the first instance.

OP
L

Love2hellokitty

Dec 27, 2016
Thank you that makes me feel a little more comfortable about the vet; i will have to take a look at the lists I just made an account on here today :) I am very protective of Leo I would bring some paper towels with me for her to stand on if I could find a trustable vet; I have a fear of her catching something bad from the vet tables/ whatever equiptment they use there

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Going to the vet is the only solution here; it's very important. A good AVIAN VET won't use gas if not necessary. I have a large flock and have had even the wildest most violent birds to see the vet without EVER needing any sort of gas, including for blood draws. Remember your vet is used to birds being quite upset with him and will know how to handle it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts