Help! Sick cockatiel?

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello šŸ‘‹ I have a male cockatiel named Kiko.

For the past 2-3 days, Kiko was not acting like himself to me, but to my family he seemed fine. He was very talkative and loud, but I felt as if there is something wrong. Yesterday, he was sleepy and kind of lethargic all day and just wanted to be left alone. During the evening-night time he started to talk a little bit. This morning he is acting the same and just sleepy and tired looking. I am going to take him to the vet as soon as possible just to get him checked out, but can someone please tell what MIGHT be going on?

He is eating and drinking but I think he should be drinking more water. His poops are fine and look normal. He just looks tired and wonā€™t talk much. I havenā€™t weighed him but I will do that to see if there is a change. He also looks fine to me physically meaning he has no discharge coming from anywhere and his eyes look fine etc.

I also wanted to know what are the chances of most birds, especially cockatiels recovering from illnesses? Birds that are more sick and have more severe problems probably have a lower chance of recovering but I donā€™t know if that is happening to Kiko. I am very stressed and unable to sleep since last night and keep going to check on him šŸ˜¢

Thanks to anyone who replies šŸ’•
7D3F76CC-788F-4775-8A7B-5B7E98ED9E5B.jpeg

3C46B051-0A77-4A94-9FA3-269F73AC2FE0.jpeg

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello šŸ‘‹ I have a male cockatiel named Kiko.

For the past 2-3 days, Kiko was not acting like himself to me, but to my family he seemed fine. He was very talkative and loud, but I felt as if there is something wrong. Yesterday, he was sleepy and kind of lethargic all day and just wanted to be left alone. During the evening-night time he started to talk a little bit. This morning he is acting the same and just sleepy and tired looking. I am going to take him to the vet as soon as possible just to get him checked out, but can someone please tell what MIGHT be going on?

He is eating and drinking but I think he should be drinking more water. His poops are fine and look normal. He just looks tired and wonā€™t talk much. I havenā€™t weighed him but I will do that to see if there is a change. He also looks fine to me physically meaning he has no discharge coming from anywhere and his eyes look fine etc.

I also wanted to know what are the chances of most birds, especially cockatiels recovering from illnesses? Birds that are more sick and have more severe problems probably have a lower chance of recovering but I donā€™t know if that is happening to Kiko. I am very stressed and unable to sleep since last night and keep going to check on him šŸ˜¢

Thanks to anyone who replies šŸ’• View attachment 48261

View attachment 48262
The only thing that I can point out myself is his nostrils. Can someone please take a look at the following images and see if they donā€™t look normal?
7AC1DACE-7D5C-4807-AAE8-46C7B1CEB9C7.jpeg
0281D5FE-CD6F-4960-B3DE-BD1684A18B8B.jpeg
CB86F3C4-DD5C-4609-981F-1F8722913ECD.jpeg

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I'm so sorry Kiko isn't feeling well. There's so many things that could cause illness that there's no way to guess what it could be. I'm happy you're getting him to the vet ASAP. As you know, parrots are prey animals, and by design will hide signs of illness until they just can't any more, so it's quite likely that he's been ill for longer than you know. So now, time is critical.

Until you get to the vet, do everything you can to support him. Fighting illness burns tons of calories which he can't afford to lose, so make sure he's eating well, and supplement with baby bird formula if needed. Keep him warm, as maintaining body temperature is also a big calorie burner. Definitely check his weight. If he's losing, that's a big sign and important for the vet to know.

Please keep us posted šŸ™

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
I'm so sorry Kiko isn't feeling well. There's so many things that could cause illness that there's no way to guess what it could be. I'm happy you're getting him to the vet ASAP. As you know, parrots are prey animals, and by design will hide signs of illness until they just can't any more, so it's quite likely that he's been ill for longer than you know. So now, time is critical.

Until you get to the vet, do everything you can to support him. Fighting illness burns tons of calories which he can't afford to lose, so make sure he's eating well, and supplement with baby bird formula if needed. Keep him warm, as maintaining body temperature is also a big calorie burner. Definitely check his weight. If he's losing, that's a big sign and important for the vet to know.

Please keep us posted šŸ™
Thank you for your reply šŸ˜Š I will post an update after the vet visit. I hope itā€™s not anything serious and it hasnā€™t been too late for him. He doesnā€™t look to be in any severe pain or look incredibly sick so I am hoping that if something is wrong then he recovers ASAP.

Most Reactions