Help! Swollen and bloody wing

budgerian

Apr 18, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiels, budgies, lovebirds
Hello guys, it's been over 15 days our budgie's wing is swollen. We went to the only vet who accepts birds in my city (I'm not from the US). The vet told us to give him antibiotics for 7 days and said it's the only thing that can be done. Today our sweetie's wing is in blood. We called the vet who again told us to give him the same antibiotics for another 7 days, since he's on vacation and won't return for at least 1 week. Our sweetie's mood hasn't changed and he even flies like nothing's wrong. What can I do to ease his pain?

We tried to disinfect the wound and we cleaning it with water. It doesn't bleed anymore.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    259 KB · Views: 68
  • 2.png
    2.png
    263.8 KB · Views: 80
OP
B

budgerian

Apr 18, 2022
Parrots
Me neither. He is supposed to be the most experienced avian vet, but apparently he's only good with cases he's familiar with. Unfortunately, in my city we've got this guy for birds. The vast majority of vets here only see cats or dogs. I've taken parrots to normal vets (I didn't know) and they did it for money :/

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
Me neither. He is supposed to be the most experienced avian vet, but apparently he's only good with cases he's familiar with. Unfortunately, in my city we've got this guy for birds. The vast majority of vets here only see cats or dogs. I've taken parrots to normal vets (I didn't know) and they did it for money :/
Ugh, Iā€™m sorry that sucks. Iā€™ve been in that situation before, especially with the regular vets that will see exotics but know nothing. I literally had a vet put my bird up to his ear like a phone. šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø

Is your baby still eating normally? How is their weight? The wound looks good all things considered, and if your baby is on antibiotics infection hopefully isnā€™t an issue so long as itā€™s not being touched a bunch. If thereā€™s no other vet I think the only thing you can really do is monitor their behavior, weight, and make sure the wound stays clean.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm so sorry your beautiful budgie is going through this!

I don't know what caused the wing swelling ..but its possibly the pain from swelling caused your burd to pick at it..did you notice any Blood on their beak?

I use dilute betadine in water to clean, a very light tea color. Your can also use warm water with betadine and soak a wash cloth in and hold on the are as a warm compress, 4 times a day. To help increase blood flow to tge area abd promotes healing.

This can be infection, tumor, trauma

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hello guys, it's been over 15 days our budgie's wing is swollen. We went to the only vet who accepts birds in my city (I'm not from the US). The vet told us to give him antibiotics for 7 days and said it's the only thing that can be done. Today our sweetie's wing is in blood. We called the vet who again told us to give him the same antibiotics for another 7 days, since he's on vacation and won't return for at least 1 week. Our sweetie's mood hasn't changed and he even flies like nothing's wrong. What can I do to ease his pain?

We tried to disinfect the wound and we cleaning it with water. It doesn't bleed anymore.
Poor baby :( I hope he gets better soon!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm so sorry about your budgie, that looks painful. I agree with Laura & I would follow her advice if it was my own bird.
I'm not sure where you are located, but perhaps you can find another vet who sees birds here:

Avian Vet Resources

I hope your baby gets better soon.

OP
B

budgerian

Apr 18, 2022
Parrots
Ugh, Iā€™m sorry that sucks. Iā€™ve been in that situation before, especially with the regular vets that will see exotics but know nothing. I literally had a vet put my bird up to his ear like a phone. šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø

Is your baby still eating normally? How is their weight? The wound looks good all things considered, and if your baby is on antibiotics infection hopefully isnā€™t an issue so long as itā€™s not being touched a bunch. If thereā€™s no other vet I think the only thing you can really do is monitor their behavior, weight, and make sure the wound stays clean.
I feel so bad I can't do more for him....
He is in perfect shape...he eats, chirps, flies with ease. I haven't weighed him (he's not that tame) but by holding him in my hand I'd say his weight is good (not bony at all). I am keeping his wound in check.

OP
B

budgerian

Apr 18, 2022
Parrots
I'm so sorry your beautiful budgie is going through this!

I don't know what caused the wing swelling ..but its possibly the pain from swelling caused your burd to pick at it..did you notice any Blood on their beak?

I use dilute betadine in water to clean, a very light tea color. Your can also use warm water with betadine and soak a wash cloth in and hold on the are as a warm compress, 4 times a day. To help increase blood flow to tge area abd promotes healing.

This can be infection, tumor, trauma
Thank you Laura, I'll go buy betadine and do it!!

OP
B

budgerian

Apr 18, 2022
Parrots
I'm so sorry about your budgie, that looks painful. I agree with Laura & I would follow her advice if it was my own bird.
I'm not sure where you are located, but perhaps you can find another vet who sees birds here:

Avian Vet Resources

I hope your baby gets better soon.
Thanks! I saw the doc file. Ironically the avian vet listed for my city is the one I went to

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Thanks! I saw the doc file. Ironically the avian vet listed for my city is the one I went to
I'm sorry, I was hoping there would be another one somewhere close to you:(

Most Reactions