HELP! WHATS WRONG WITH MY SUN CONURES BEAK?

chicken wings

Jun 10, 2022
Parrots
sun conure
Hello, I'm a new member. Tonight I just got a new sun conure, and the more I look at my conure's beak, the more concern I feel. Can anybody help? I don't know what's wrong with my conure's upper beak (maxilla). It has white color, and kinda feel rough if you rub it. The 2 sides of the upper beak are the same(both got that white crust) I'm worried if my conure somehow sick/got cancer(according to google) Please help me guys, Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 20220610_214214.jpg
    20220610_214214.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 115

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Welcome to the forum!
How old is your new bird? Has he been sleeping like that a lot?
I would suggest a trip to an Avian vet as quickly as you can get in, because beyond his beak he doesn't look healthy.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hi,
Sorry you've got worries with your new sun..

His eye closed and looks like a bump on eye lid. Makes worry he might not be well..

The beak discoloration im not sure the cause, but bacteria or fungal infections might cause this.

Because birds hide being sick. And young birds are more vulnerable to health issues .

I have to agree with Terry please try to get him to an avian veterinarian today or Monday.

Keep warm away from drafts. Keep calm, have lots if food near by.

Good luck keep us updated

OP
C

chicken wings

Jun 10, 2022
Parrots
sun conure
Welcome to the forum!
How old is your new bird? Has he been sleeping like that a lot?
I would suggest a trip to an Avian vet as quickly as you can get in, because beyond his beak he doesn't look healthy.
thank you for your reply. my conure is 1 month 15 days old. It doesnt sleep a lot, I took the picture yesterday night. Do you think the it also has eye bump?

OP
C

chicken wings

Jun 10, 2022
Parrots
sun conure
Hi,

His eye closed and looks like a bump on eye lid. Makes worry he might not be well..

The beak discoloration im not sure the cause, but bacteria or fungal infections might cause this.

Because birds hide being sick. And young birds are more vulnerable to health issues .

I have to agree with Terry please try to get him to an avian veterinarian today or Monday.

Hi,

thank you for your reply. my circumstances not allowed me to bring it to the vet, cause there's no vet around in my town. I wonder if the white spot is because of fighting injury? if not, then what can I do at home to treat it?

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I am not sure where you are located. I know some avian vets in my area will work with people on a payment plan so they can get their birds in to be seen. Have you tried to call around to ask? Your conure is so young, and fragile. Getting him to the vet is so important. I would do that as soon as possible.

I know you said your conure isn't sleeping good. Baby parrots need a lot of uninterrupted sleep. Is your conure eating okay? What kind of diet is he on?

I hope your conure is okay, and please do keep us updated.

OP
C

chicken wings

Jun 10, 2022
Parrots
sun conure
I am not sure where you are located. I know some avian vets in my area will work with people on a payment plan so they can get their birds in to be seen. Have you tried to call around to ask? Your conure is so young, and fragile. Getting him to the vet is so important. I would do that as soon as possible.

I know you said your conure isn't sleeping good. Baby parrots need a lot of uninterrupted sleep. Is your conure eating okay? What kind of diet is he on?

I hope your conure is okay, and please do keep us updated.
thank you for your reply. my conure is eating well, but he 's only eating corn (dislike handfeeding formula, I guess it's because he's not used to eating formula). but he's eating just fine, a lot even.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
thank you for your reply. my conure is eating well, but he 's only eating corn (dislike handfeeding formula, I guess it's because he's not used to eating formula). but he's eating just fine, a lot even.
Did you get your parrot from a breeder? Do you have experience with baby parrots? Would you be able to contact the breeder? I have no experience with baby birds. I do know that formula, and their feeding schedule is so important.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hi
Your un weaned baby will not survive on corn, it will die.

You must feed a parrot baby bird formula . For complete nutrition , balanced .

Can you return this baby to the breeder to finish raising. Then bring g home after weaned?

Because you are here for help and I want to help. I feel I must be very clear this is life or death situation. Your baby must have balance nutrition to live. It will not survive on an all corn diet.

He is hungry all the time because his body is starving for nutrition. You are on limited time to correct his nutrition .

I will link some baby bird articles.

Where there is a will there is a way , let your love guide you to do the right thing.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
You can offer a baby weaning mash as well. They start to explore and try new foods while still receiving baby bird formula. This van also be a way to get nutrition and vitamin rich foods into your baby.

Cooked and mashed sweet potato, and some cooked and mashed carrots are good source of vitamin A. A steamed and gine diced / or puree of mixed vegetables. Soaked and well cooked legumes. And you can add parrot pellets ( for added nutrients) that you soak in a little warm water to soften a d crumble into your mash.

𝕾𝖙𝖔𝖗𝖒𝖞𝕻𝖎𝖈𝖆

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Another thing about the vet, you should be willing to travel 2-4 hours for vet care. My CAV (Certified Avian Vet) is a whole 2.5 hours away! And yet, I am willing to make that sacrifice for my birds, because I love them more than anything in the world. I'm not saying you don't love them, but I AM saying that you should be willing to travel long-ish distances to get your bird the help it needs.

The advice above was excellent too!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I've also shared extensive help and useful articles in this thread.

Jun 11, 2022
Parrots
2 Budgies and a Conure
Hoping to get a Macaw
Hello, I'm a new member. Tonight I just got a new sun conure, and the more I look at my conure's beak, the more concern I feel. Can anybody help? I don't know what's wrong with my conure's upper beak (maxilla). It has white color, and kinda feel rough if you rub it. The 2 sides of the upper beak are the same(both got that white crust) I'm worried if my conure somehow sick/got cancer(according to google) Please help me guys, Thank you in advance.
I’m not sure what the white on it’s beak is, but like the other comments, I strongly suggest taking your bird to the vet as soon as you can. The sooner you catch an illness the easier it is to cure. My Green Cheek had a horrible respiratory infection when I got her, she almost died. It took about two weeks to cure it but since I caught it early it was easier to fix.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Hi
Your un weaned baby will not survive on corn, it will die.

You must feed a parrot baby bird formula . For complete nutrition , balanced .

Can you return this baby to the breeder to finish raising. Then bring g home after weaned?

Because you are here for help and I want to help. I feel I must be very clear this is life or death situation. Your baby must have balance nutrition to live. It will not survive on an all corn diet.

He is hungry all the time because his body is starving for nutrition. You are on limited time to correct his nutrition .

I will link some baby bird articles.

Where there is a will there is a way , let your love guide you to do the right thing.

Thank you for commenting, and helping. I don't have any experience with baby parrots. I was pretty speechless. I didn't know what to say.

Most Reactions

Latest posts