Help with changing diet

socktheconure

Aug 15, 2018
Parrots
Sock (conure)

Yondu (blue budgie)
Quill (yellow/blue budgie)
Edit: Everyone is assuming that I am trying to give my budgerigars 100% fruits and veggies. That is not and never will be the case. I am trying to get them to CONSUME fruits and veggies because seed alone can be incredibly unhealthy if consumed constantly- alone.

Hi everyone!

Recently I have been trying to convert my Budgerigars' diet to fruits and veggies (with some seed, occasionally.. just not right now.).

Here's some context:

> I originally tried this a while back, but it just did not work out. I gave up, sadly, but I want to try again.
> They are pet store budgerigars
> They have been on seed for several months now. I am at fault for that.

Though I am desperate to get them to eat fruits and veggies now- but they just will not.
The pair are acting as if they've got nothing to eat, and have been totally ignoring the food in their bowl... like, literally avoiding it. They'll run over, peek at it, and flutter away!

I've been depriving them of seed (this is day 2), except for the small sprinkled amount that I hoped would entice them... but nothing has worked!

If any of you have any tips or tricks, please let me know!! I am all ears!
(The treat trick unfortunately will not work. My most tame budgie, Yondu, simply runs away from the small, thinly sliced apple.)

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Feed the seed. I feed seeds. And offer leafy veggies and chop. Parakeets can starve trying to switch like that. I don't think you can feed a proper diet of just veggies and fruit alone. You need to feed pellets and seeds to. Over time they might eat more and more veggies, but I gave seeds and pellets in all the time. Leafy greens are usually nibbled on every day.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Some birds will starve rather than eat pellets and/or fruit/veg-- if I provide a mix of healthy seed (no peanuts, corn or sunflower seeds--safflower seeds are decent base), then my bird at least tries the pellets (I have an Umbrella Cockatoo in her 4h home). Don't give up right away..it can take months....and consider the type of pellet you are trying to get them to eat (some are better for beginners than others). Also, consider trying cooked vs. non-coked fruit/veg etc (no salt, obviously, but texture is huge).

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Here are my two cents... just for your consideration... worked for me, but all birds are different...

Harrison's Bird Foods

I feed Harrison's, supplemented by fresh healthy treats. My first, and later, my current avian vet recommended it. My bird loves the pellets now, but to get him converted, my avian vet suggested putting pellets out all day, and putting seeds (his old diet) out for two 15-minute periods a day. That would sustain him but leave him hungry enough to try new stuff. I presume the same technique could be used to get him to eat other healthy stuff, like fruits and vegetables! My guy was eating pellets in a couple of days, and now I can feed a good variety of other stuff, knowing he has the pellets as a basic. Pellets are out all day... fresh treats a few times a day. I also like Harrison's via mail because I never have to worry about out-of-date products.
Another couple of ideas...
My ol' man is an athlete and health nut. He actually EATS all the good stuff, so it's always around. I find that tossing various stuff into the food bowls at random is good... the variations and differences seem to stimulate curiosity and attention.
The other idea... if you can stand it (lol) EAT the stuff in front of the birds, yes. That encourages them. I have also found that if my ol' man eats stuff in front of the bird, the bird WANTS it for himself. Kinda a rivalry thing!

OP
socktheconure

socktheconure

Aug 15, 2018
Parrots
Sock (conure)

Yondu (blue budgie)
Thank you Galeria!

I will try the snacks!

I've heard of the eating trick, but Im unsure if that will work on the two.. they're not the best when it comes to monkey see monkey do :(
But I will certainly start adding the treats and pellets! Thank you so so much!��

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
I hope it is not "just veggies -80% or more- and fruit", they do need more nutrients than this.

So plze give them a good quality pellet (not the ones that are riddled with sugar / read the package/ 'fruitflavour' usually means LOTS of sugar and that is not good for the bird) or just some seeds to go with the meal.

OP
socktheconure

socktheconure

Aug 15, 2018
Parrots
Sock (conure)

Yondu (blue budgie)
I hope it is not "just veggies -80% or more- and fruit", they do need more nutrients than this.

So plze give them a good quality pellet (not the ones that are riddled with sugar / read the package/ 'fruitflavour' usually means LOTS of sugar and that is not good for the bird) or just some seeds to go with the meal.
That's... why I am here asking.
I mentioned that I was not going to completely deprive them of other forms of nutrients. I never said that I was denying them anything- just seed to avoid any liver damage in the future.

I am going to include pellets in their diets, but I do not have pellets as of now.

Please read my article entirely before making assumptions : ( I did not take the assumption kindly.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I read your edit, but I still don't understand exactly what it is you're trying to do. You're birds must eat a "staple" food every single day, in most parrots this means a significant source of protein, fat, carbs, etc. Otherwise they will emaciate and die. Even Ekkies, who live mainly on veggies and fruits, have to have a source of protein: grains, legumes, healthy seeds, etc.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with feeding your Budgies a healthy, low-fat seed-mix every day, in the morning so they have it throughout the day, and then adding fresh veggies, greens, and occasionally fresh fruit (only a couple of days a week and in small quantities due to sugar, fruit can be worse than any seeds for them)...Budgie seed-mixes generally don't contain any Sunflower Seeds, any Nuts, or any Dried Corn, so those are the heavy culprits of Fatty Liver Disease...And pellets are fine as long as they are "Natural" pellets and not Fruit-flavored, they are no better than the junk seeds...But it's going to take a long time for your Budgies to start eating a "Natural" pellet, or any pellets for that matter, if they've been eating seed-mix their entire lives...So you cannot just feed them veggies and fruit and then "add pellets" when you get some...They must still have at least 60-70% or more of their diet being a "staple" food, and for your birds that will be a seed-mix until you gradually transition the to a Natural pellet, which usually takes at least a few months of work to accomplish...

If you just want to introduce them to fresh veggies and greens while still feeding them their normal staple diet, then that's a good idea, but all you have to do is try as many different fresh veggies and dark, leafy greens as you can, cut them into very tiny pieces for Budgies, and see what they like...Anything but Onions, Leeks, Chives, etc., as the Onion family is toxic to birds, just as Avocados are...

Riverpet100

Mar 19, 2018
Parrots
Coconut,PineApple, Kiwi, Blueberry, Pear.Budgies
Mituna,Sollux.Lovies
Echo,Petunia,Oz.Tiels
Jaden, Pepper. Green Cheek
Diamond.B&G Macaw
Pigey(Roller pigeon)
Duck (Dove)
Mosaffa, Serebi (Finches)
Edit: Everyone is assuming that I am trying to give my budgerigars 100% fruits and veggies. That is not and never will be the case. I am trying to get them to CONSUME fruits and veggies because seed alone can be incredibly unhealthy if consumed constantly- alone.

Hi everyone!

Recently I have been trying to convert my Budgerigars' diet to fruits and veggies (with some seed, occasionally.. just not right now.).

Here's some context:

> I originally tried this a while back, but it just did not work out. I gave up, sadly, but I want to try again.
> They are pet store budgerigars
> They have been on seed for several months now. I am at fault for that.

Though I am desperate to get them to eat fruits and veggies now- but they just will not.
The pair are acting as if they've got nothing to eat, and have been totally ignoring the food in their bowl... like, literally avoiding it. They'll run over, peek at it, and flutter away!

I've been depriving them of seed (this is day 2), except for the small sprinkled amount that I hoped would entice them... but nothing has worked!

If any of you have any tips or tricks, please let me know!! I am all ears!
(The treat trick, unfortunately, will not work. My most tame budgie, Yondu, simply runs away from the small, thinly sliced apple.)
Have you tried to give the Budgie whole leafs of greens, such as spinach? Budgies are known for loving to chew on things such as leafy greens. It is hard to covert birds that have been living on seeds for a long time. But it is essential. If the leaf method dont work. Try chopping some different fruits and veggies very small and mix seeds into it. They will need to eat some veggies, even if its only one bite, to get the seeds. I am very thankful that all my birdies love their veggies. But I had to convert my rescued macaw from 20+ years of seeds, to an amazing veggie diet with all good stuff.

Riverpet100

Mar 19, 2018
Parrots
Coconut,PineApple, Kiwi, Blueberry, Pear.Budgies
Mituna,Sollux.Lovies
Echo,Petunia,Oz.Tiels
Jaden, Pepper. Green Cheek
Diamond.B&G Macaw
Pigey(Roller pigeon)
Duck (Dove)
Mosaffa, Serebi (Finches)
I feed fruit blend pellets to my birds. However, that is only a snack before birdie bedtime. They get fresh veggies every day and have them available to them at all times. 80% of my birdies diets is veggies. Sprouted seeds are healthy and nutritious. If your budgie doesn't like veggies, add some sprouted seeds. They are like mini veggies that you grow your self.

AutumnBreeze

Aug 28, 2018
Canada, Alberta
Parrots
I have 2 sweet budgies, Nimbus and Banana. They are both boys Nimbus is 17 months and Banana is 11 years old though I've only had him for about 3 weeks. would write more but that's the max
OP
socktheconure

socktheconure

Aug 15, 2018
Parrots
Sock (conure)

Yondu (blue budgie)
My issue is that they will not eat veggies, regardless how I mix them or introduce them. That is what the edit means, sorry if it was not very clear.

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
My issue is that they will not eat veggies, regardless how I mix them or introduce them. That is what the edit means, sorry if it was not very clear.

It take time. It took me a good couple of weeks before my Cockatiels would touch the veggies. Now they beg for it in the morning. My male Cockatoo Cooper on the other hand throw anything consider healthy out of his bowl, even at times throwing the whole bowl, or he leave it and my female U2 ends up eating it. He getting better as he at least eating the good pellets and at time he eat some veggies, but he still throw it at time.

Most Reactions