amirock

Jun 25, 2021
Hi all! I'm looking into adopting this eclectus. It is obvious that he needs a beak trim. Besides that, I'm looking for help as far as his feathers. Right now he is on seeds and pellets, but will be switched to fresh veggies and some fruit when I get him. Is there any hope of getting his feathers back to normal? Thanks for your help!

423ol2u.jpg

view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q0sHnMbZhVRdCW9Eb2SgnohXNAfPvqqY/view?usp=drivesdk

Last edited by a moderator:

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Welcome!!!

Far as I am aware, eclectuses need a very very specific type of diet compared to other parrots, so I am pretty convinced his feathers look awful due to incorrect diet. I have seen many other people here on the forum who have ekkies so they will surely be able to give you the exact information about their diet!

It might take a couple of full molts after the diet switch to see the true nature of the feathers in order to rule out illnesses. Others (me included) might also suggest you to take him to an Avian vet for a detailed check up and do some tests, also the vet can help you further with your new fiture feathered friend.

I got my conure with terrible feathers, all his tail feathers destroyed and frayed, full of stress bars, bronzing, etc. Due to awful diet and bad aviary. My vet did inform me to br patient and see after the 2nd molt how his feathers will be.

To put it short - if you put him on a right ekkie diet, there is definitely hope, but keep in mind you will see results ONLY after the molts! However a vet visit is a must!

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Hello, and welcome to the forums! Thank you so much for considering adopting that beautiful boy.

Short answer to your question... Absolutely yes there's always hope!

His condition may have various causes from diet to over preening, or handling too much by previous owners with oily hands. There are possible medical issues that can cause it as well. Please consider a checkup and blood work with an avian medical professional as soon as you can, so you have a baseline moving forward. A certified avian vet (CAV) is always the ideal, as they have the specific training needed to best diagnose what's going on. We do understand that that isn't always available, depending on where you are, but again, that's the way to go if at all possible.

Most Reactions

Latest posts