Help with hormonal, plucking CAG

Paco2

Feb 24, 2020
Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Hi, we just got an CAG, ZaZu, about 6 weeks ago. He is about 4 or 5 years old and we got him from a pet store specializing in just birds. The story was ZaZu had been a breeder bird, but that he never took to breeding as he was more of a family pet...

ZaZu quickly took to my 13 year old son (he tolerates the rest of us), and a week or two in ZaZu started like a bobbing mating dance thing, tongue clicking, drooling and regurgitating his food, etc., definitely hormonal behavior and only with my son. I make sure my son only pets ZaZu on the head, although initially he did pet him on the back like our cat. ZaZu used to go right up to his shoulder, but I've told my son not to let him on his shoulder anymore, but really that means my son has to do constant step up to get ZaZu from climbing up to his shoulder. When ZaZu starts acting hormonal I have my son put him down, however, ZaZu pretty much acts hormonal every time he sees my son because I only have my son 50% of the time and most of the time my son is doing 13 year old stuff, so my son isn't constantly around. Do I keep my son from interacting with ZaZu?? Will the hormonal behavior stop after spring? I read African greys are prone to this year round?

What I am really worried about though is the plucking. ZaZu has started plucking his chest feathers and he has a plucked patch on his one wing as well. I could barely figure out how to post (assuming this posts) so unfortunately I doubt I'd be able to figure out how to post pictures, but to me it looks pretty bad. You can still see downy white feathers, but there are swatches of grey feathers gone, across the whole top of his chest and other spots. I see him pulling his feathers out too as I'm with him almost all day long now that I am at home, although sometimes it's hard to tell if he is just preening or plucking. What do I do when I see him plucking? Usually I go over there and start talking to him and he'll stop.

When we first go ZaZu I took him to the vet about a week in just for a wellness check up, no tests, and according to the vet, ZaZu seemed healthy. ZaZu had already plucked a few feathers, but the vet said she wasn't concerned as there were no patches (just here and there) and thought he was probably a little stressed being in new surroundings, etc., however, it for sure now has gotten worrisome and I'm not sure what to do. I was a little suspicious of the pet store because when I first got ZaZu I texted the guy telling him I was going to bring ZaZu to the vet, he called me and said that I should only do a wellness check, that they test all their birds and they are all very healthy, hmmm...., but the vet also didn't think any tests were necessary.

Apologies for the SUPER long post, but here are a few extra details in the event you are still readying. ZaZu came trained with step up and is a very good talker. We kept him on his same diet and feed him mostly pellets with some seeds (less than 1/4) plus fruit, he doesn't like veggies, and when we have dinner I give him rice or pasta, although I read that warm foods are prime to regurgitate, so I've cut back on that. ZaZu is out of his cage most of the day. He has a large java wood tree, plus a large cage with a play top all in our living room right in the middle of the action (but his cage is against a wall) and he climbs between his tree, into his cage and onto the cage top, but otherwise he doesn't really play with any of his toys (I even took a few out thinking he was scared of them), the only thing he will do is tear up cardboard, tip over his water on occasion and put food in his water. In fact, it seems odd to me that he just sits in one place for long periods of time.

He has a separate "sleeping" cage in a quite room and goes to bed around 8:00 pm and gets up around 7:00 am - he will start talking when he wakes up and wants to be let out of his sleeping cage and put in the living room where he immediately takes a giant poop, so I don't know if he was somewhat potty trained even since he doesn't typically go bathroom in his sleeping cage. He also has a UV light that the vet suggested, which I leave on a good portion of the day since he walks around and isn't always under it. I give him a spray bath every morning, he really enjoys it and says "Woo hoo." He is flighted, but he isn't very good at it and usually runs into a window.

He seems more fearful of me and my daughter and not my two sons, although I'm not sure I would describe him as overly fearful. He has bitten me a couple of times when doing step up. Normally if he doesn't want to step up I'll leave him be, but I do have to put him in his cage at night and sometime if I leave. I think I've solved that by giving him a treat when I do step up, but he did lunge at me today when I was putting a cardboard toy in his cage, and then I just leave the room and don't react.

We've tried to get the whole family involved so that ZaZu thinks he is part of a flock versus a mate, but not sure what else to do there. I'm alone with him 50% of the time and he is usually in the room with me; if I leave briefly, he calls out with a string of words and noises, etc., but he shakes when I get close to him, so I will sing him a song and then he will stop. He won't let me pet his head or anything. He put his head down and kinda twisted it yesterday and I thought it was an invitation to pet his head, but I only got in a couple pets before he snipped at me, so I got that message wrong! He does let me feed him by hand. I feed him grapes, his pasta and seeds by hand and he doesn't try to bite me then, but for whatever reason he is frightened me, so I am trying to take it slow and not doing anything he doesn't want to do.

OK, I think that's it. Thanks for reading!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and ZaZu, thanks for a thorough introduction. Really cool name!!

Seems ZaZu has bonded closely with your 13 yo son and may perceive him as potential mate. It is possible the hormonal behavior is coincident with spring, though some parrots are easily triggered nearly year round. Six weeks is still rather new and just outside the typical "honeymoon" period of adjustment.

Plucking is one of the most complex and vexing behaviors. For some it is triggered by illness, allergy, boredom, etc. Is his vet avian certified? They are best qualified to diagnose, and a blood chemistry panel for new birds is not particularly controversial. Excellent overview of plucking: http://www.parrotforums.com/behavioral/52217-plucking-search-answers.html

Diet may play a role with both plucking and hormonal behavior. Fruit and warm foods can be factors. What brand of pellet does ZaZu eat? There are techniques to coax veggie consumption. One of my favorites is to make two bowls of fresh food aka "chop." One for you, the other for ZaZu. Begin eating from yours, make "mmmmm" sounds of enjoyment, bob your head. They are flock eaters and you are one of the flock. Converting to a healthier diet tips: http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...7-converting-parrots-healthier-diet-tips.html

Overall, he seems to have a great environment and your instincts are sound. Many greys are stubbornly resistant to change. Some tips to encourage bonding and trust: http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html

As for posting images from a PC or phone, members have limited storage using the "paper clip" icon in the grey box directly above where you type to post. Top row, to right of "smiley" icon drop-down arrow. Easiest way is to directly post from Imgur or other free hosting site: http://www.parrotforums.com/technical-support/6287-how-post-pictures-6.html#post718293

OP
P

Paco2

Feb 24, 2020
Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Thanks for the response! I just stuck with what he had been eating, which is ZuPreem Fruit Blend. I also bought the Natural one and am planning to integrate but didn’t want to make to many changes. I was told he likes peanuts, but I know those have too much fat, so I pretty much cut those out. I bought so expensive seed mix for treats but he just hucks that out of his bowl, so I am sticking with the basic Kaytee Fiesta Parrot Food for seeds and of course he goes right for the sunflowers, so I’ll have to wean him off those too!

I am planning on looking into a different vet, but need to figure out if anyone is taking appointments currently.

I think I added some attachments, although they are sideways. The first one, where ZaZu is on our couch, is from a few weeks ago where the plucking is starting to get worse, the other 2 are recent where the plucking looks pretty bad to me.

Attachments

• 6DBD793A-8DFD-455C-A8FB-7D36F0B0F32B.jpg
    6DBD793A-8DFD-455C-A8FB-7D36F0B0F32B.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 114
  • 84DF0118-0181-493B-9B4C-042BBE2EF1D2.jpg
    84DF0118-0181-493B-9B4C-042BBE2EF1D2.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 95
  • A3337B94-A7A7-48D5-A32B-B6912AA22A49.jpg
    A3337B94-A7A7-48D5-A32B-B6912AA22A49.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 123
OP
P

Paco2

Feb 24, 2020
Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
Congo African Grey
I just took live photos and it dawned on me that I should turn my phone sideways so that the picture will come out straight! It looks like there is now a patch on his other wing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 87
OP
P

Paco2

Feb 24, 2020
Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
Congo African Grey
And I'm realizing the pictures don't seem to do it justice, it looks worse in person.

Cycletim

Mar 22, 2020
Ventura, California
Parrots
Jasper Congo African Grey,
Grover Red bellied parrot RIP 10/20,
Red bellied parrot Rheya
We have a similar situation at our house. We are new owners to a 18 yr old grey. We have had him about 5 weeks. We have had parrots most of our lives , our grey is a lot different with spring time then our other smaller parrots/conures. He regurgitates on his favorite ball toy a lot during the day. He also some times he barbs and plucks playing some kind of game with his ball. His old owner gave him grapes, we only give him 1 cut up grape per day now.
We also got one of those plastic foraging toys and put his pellots/seeds in there as opposed to the seed bowl. Keeps him very busy. Those are great for us, Our
red belly parrot prefers the wheel over a bowl now.

We also used to give him lots of paper to shred during the day. He started making little nests , so now we give him little pieces of poplar molding. He still makes a little nest but it slows him down big time and doesn't pluck as much because the wood is hard to chew up??

We also started target training a few times per day and he seems to trust my hands more. I can scratch him on his head and beak now. He will let me know when he has had enough but not with a bite. Try to figure out his favorite from his seeds and take them our to use as treats. Ours was cut almonds.

He also had a nervous bed time problem for a few weeks. He would freak out around 7-9. He would go into a full on frenzy of plucking/foot chewing. That behavior has stopped , thank goodness. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is
they are all different and working the behaviors out takes time. Good luck.

OP
P

Paco2

Feb 24, 2020
Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Thanks! I'll try a plastic foraging toy. We have a cardboard foraging system thing, but he just rips it right up in a few minutes. I think plastic would work better. Cardboard will keep him busy for a good portion of the day. I guess it's cheaper than all those fancy wood toys that I bought, so I suppose I should be happy. Target training is also a good idea!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Beautiful bird and yes, smartphones tend to enhance their features!

Many folks use Zupreem Fruit Blend as it is well tolerated by fussy parrots. There is a fair amount of sugar, though, so it is not without controversy. I used to feed this product and attempted to substitute the "natural" (no dye) pellets with resounding failure. Successfully switched them all to Harrison's a year ago.

Perhaps the most vexing issue with peanuts is presence of hazardous aflatoxins. (mold)

Veterinary care is sporadic during the Age of Covid depending on locale. Most have limited hours and require waiting outside/in the car until appointment time.

Most Reactions

Latest posts