Help with Introduction

lgallagher

Oct 16, 2022
Media
Parrots
Conure: Edward Van Halen (Hatched 03.2022)
Hey guys,
Some may know that last week I added an 8-month-old GC, Sophia, to our home. I moved my other baby's, Eddie, cage next to her's so that they would get a little used to each other.
Today, I opened up the tops of their cages and Eddie started running up and down like crazy and finally made his way over to Sophia's cage and immediately started fighting with her. So, I put her away in her cage for safety and he started fighting with her from outside the cage. So I put him away too.
Is this normal behavior when introducing new birds? I am so upset. I can understand that they would be leery of each other but to start fighting like that???
Maybe it's too soon. Eddie is used to being the king-pin of sorts; is that the problem?
I need some advice on how I should handle this. I am aware that they may never like each other and I am prepared to love both of them equally. But, I would really like for them to get along.

HELP!!!!

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Unfortunately, some parrots just don't ever like each other, it's not in their nature to be friends with other types of parrots.
For instance, I can't let my Quaker and GCC out at the same time, they'd kill each other.
The day I introduced them, it resulted in a bruised toe for my GCC.
Overtime birds can learn to tolerate one another, my Quaker used to snap at and chase the budgies around, now he allows them to stand 6in. from him peacefully.
Try not to cause jealousy as well, don't start petting your new GCC with Eddie right there.

You can try training Eddie to tolerate her at the least, praise him while he remains neutral around the new bird.
Provide plenty of perching options too, and feeding 'stations' so they don't have to compete for space or food.

Most Reactions