Help with perch’s

Rosy71

Nov 12, 2023
Florida
Parrots
Quacker
I didn't read all the responses, so I dunno if this has been mentioned. If you can get perches with bark on them, birds LOVE to shred the bark! Hours of entertainment! MY cockatiels and conure love their perches where they can shred the covering to nothing, LOL!
Hello ! Thank you for that info!
Is there any specific one that you buy?
Are u in the USA?
So when they shred all you gotta replace ?
Lol … birds are so cute and funny !
Is there a picture of yours ? Your birds … would love to see them .
Thanks again !

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Thank you so much ! I am taking him to get them trimmed in a pet shop. And I will be removing that one and replacing with another perch . I appreciate your help. Thanks !

I didn't read all the responses, so I dunno if this has been mentioned. If you can get perches with bark on them, birds LOVE to shred the bark! Hours of entertainment! MY cockatiels and conure love their perches where they can shred the covering to nothing, LOL!
As long as it's not bark with bugs and ml stuff under it from the woods. Do they sell bark on perches? Great idea if they do!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Perches just get as many different diameters and textures as yo
Salty has
1 Manzanita round 2-2-1/4" diameter, smooth. He sleeps on that one and the bird warmer is for that perch

1 Grape vine type perch, all gnarly and knotted, he hang out daytimes mostly on that. Many different diameters

1 1" dowel perch for his food cup only 3" long

1 1-1/2" braided rope type that snaggles all over.

I have 2 sand / cement perches he used to sleep on, but my mind has changed on using these to keep nails trimmed. Not used at the time.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
hello thanks for responding .. good morning .
That great your tip for the nails I will do that in a bit and let you know . Gosh no I don’t want him to bleed .. there is a pet store here called Beverly’s they do it but I know it all depends how good the person is that’s actually cutting the nails I imagine .. they charge $10 .. and the new vet I’m going to on Dec 1st charges $48 but idk mayb better to let the vets office do it .. if it’s needed
As to the perch .. is there any specific one brand you recommend ? We have the
A & E Floor rolling cage it’s longer than it is wider ..

Donna thanks .. ok I will ask the vet to round them .. as to the plush

donna good morning
I want gonna cut them myself .. ha no way I would not dare .. but I think I will just wait for vet appt which is now dec 1st ..
the pet store I’m not gonna risk it .. better in a doctors office. Assuming he needs it .
You know pet store charges $10 and vet charges $ 48 . I asked .. but if it’s better then that’s great. The girl in front said doctor may suggest a food he has but I don’t wanna get something that Cosmo won’t eat .. let’s see ..
also I feel bad for Cosmo as he just sleeps next to that yellow fabric .. our house is very cold upstairs and my daughter room more as her only window faces the neighbors side house so her room is the coldest of all . I do cover the cage with a blanket not too thick but not a regular thin one either I hope he’s ok with the coldness . The strings on it I tightened both in back so he Cna touch them anymore but you think he will bite the fabric off? I haven’t seen him do it as of yet .. but I guess if dangerous then mayb I should take off .. which there was another thing similar I could put for him there to be next to that’s soft .. for sleep time .. it’s actually where he goes to most of the time like his safe place .. when he is scared like if a noise or tv he just goes around cage and well doesn’t fluff up .. then later goes back to that spot and fluffs up and just chills there ..
he’s very cute .. the perch side heaters .. isn’t that dangerous maybe him burning himself ? Last question is too many perches bad?
Don’t birds need a little flying space? He has 3 but I’m gonna remove the filing nail one that cute and he likes to another one I ordered thats wood .. I will send pic when it arrives .. thanks Donna !
Hope your birdies are all doing good 👍
As long as he’s not chewing it I think the “cozy corner” thing is fine. JJ sleeps cuddled up next to a stuffed flamingo that I have zip tied to the bars of his cage and really seems to like it. He has another little plush duck ( its name is “Aflac” because JJ likes to say, “ Aflac, quack quack!” When he plays with it). He likes to “preen”both of these toys but never chews them.

Rosy71

Nov 12, 2023
Florida
Parrots
Quacker
As long as he’s not chewing it I think the “cozy corner” thing is fine. JJ sleeps cuddled up next to a stuffed flamingo that I have zip tied to the bars of his cage and really seems to like it. He has another little plush duck ( its name is “Aflac” because JJ likes to say, “ Aflac, quack quack!” When he plays with it). He likes to “preen”both of these toys but never chews them.
Helll. Thanks for response .. he actually wasn’t until he was . Yesterday he actually bit a tiny piece off and chewed it and I freaked out I thought something would happen to him .. he was normal but I was scared so for sure I took out and threw away .. I think it’s too fuzzy ! But I wish there was something similar that he couldn’t chew but was soft and he could sleep next to .
I felt bad for him because the room is cold at night and he would get really close to it to sleep but his life is more important than that ! The stuffed Flamingo mayb just in case u should look at it in all areas because I never saw Cosmo chewing it in almost 3 weeks since I have had him until yesterday .. I didn’t think to take off and inspect it .. there was a tiny area missing like a tiny bit so he has been biting it off but I wouldn’t have seen unless seeing him do it or taking off and checking all of it.. thanks so much🙏
So funny you said JJ says Aflac Quack quack! So cute .. u have a pic with him and the flamingo together ?

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Helll. Thanks for response .. he actually wasn’t until he was . Yesterday he actually bit a tiny piece off and chewed it and I freaked out I thought something would happen to him .. he was normal but I was scared so for sure I took out and threw away .. I think it’s too fuzzy ! But I wish there was something similar that he couldn’t chew but was soft and he could sleep next to .
I felt bad for him because the room is cold at night and he would get really close to it to sleep but his life is more important than that ! The stuffed Flamingo mayb just in case u should look at it in all areas because I never saw Cosmo chewing it in almost 3 weeks since I have had him until yesterday .. I didn’t think to take off and inspect it .. there was a tiny area missing like a tiny bit so he has been biting it off but I wouldn’t have seen unless seeing him do it or taking off and checking all of it.. thanks so much🙏
So funny you said JJ says Aflac Quack quack! So cute .. u have a pic with him and the flamingo together ?
IMG_1149.jpeg

It’s a little fuzzy but here’s JJ with his flamingo 🙂. JJ has never been much of a chewer/ destroyer. Obviously if your bird is chewing soft stuff it’s probably best not to have it in his cage. I use a radiator style space heater to warm up the bird room if it’s chilly. They are generally considered bird safe.

Rosy71

Nov 12, 2023
Florida
Parrots
Quacker
View attachment 56192
It’s a little fuzzy but here’s JJ with his flamingo 🙂. JJ has never been much of a chewer/ destroyer. Obviously if your bird is chewing soft stuff it’s probably best not to have it in his cage. I use a radiator style space heater to warm up the bird room if it’s chilly. They are generally considered bird safe.
Oh so adorable !! JJ is so cute ! Love the flamingo 🦩!! It’s nice when they have like a little thing that they sleep by .. I felt so bad taking his away but was too scared to leave it since he chewed tiny pieces ..
Wha Tia the space heater like?

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Oh so adorable !! JJ is so cute ! Love the flamingo 🦩!! It’s nice when they have like a little thing that they sleep by .. I felt so bad taking his away but was too scared to leave it since he chewed tiny pieces ..
Wha Tia the space heater like?
IMG_1150.png

This is similar to the one I use.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Oh ok thanks and it’s next to cage ?
You know my Cosmo when I get him out of cage 2 times a day
He flies and hits himself in wall or today in class door
Idk what to do ..
A few feet away from the cage, just on low is usually good. It gets a little hot to the touch but not instantly burn yourself kind of hot. I would still supervise Cosmo around it if you think he might land on it when he’s out. I know someone else on this forum made a wire cage to put over the top to keep the bird from landing directly on it ( mine don’t). Other types of heaters are sometimes coated in toxic chemicals which is why this radiator type is considered safest.

Rosy71

Nov 12, 2023
Florida
Parrots
Quacker
A few feet away from the cage, just on low is usually good. It gets a little hot to the touch but not instantly burn yourself kind of hot. I would still supervise Cosmo around it if you think he might land on it when he’s out. I know someone else on this forum made a wire cage to put over the top to keep the bird from landing directly on it ( mine don’t). Other types of heaters are sometimes coated in toxic chemicals which is why this radiator type is considered safest.
Oh ok thank you for the info …
Also, did JJ ever fly into Walls?
Are his wings cut ?

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Oh ok thank you for the info …
Also, did JJ ever fly into Walls?
Are his wings cut ?
I got JJ when he was already 15 plus years old and I don’t know much about his past. I was told that he was probably clipped at some point but he isn’t now. That being said, he doesn’t really fly, I think he maybe never really learned to because he was clipped. I have had budgies who did a little bit of crashing when they were first learning to fly! I would close the drapes so they couldn’t crash into windows when they were first learning and that helped! It sometimes took them a couple weeks to get good at flying.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
When Rocky was a naked blind baby budgie she had no nestmates or parent birds to cuddle with so I gave her two small stuffed birds, a bluebird and a goldfinch, both a lot bigger than her, and I believe they gave her comfort while alone in the brooder. She slept cuddled up between them until she was weaned and she still plays with her "stuffies" but only when she's out of her cage. When she moved into her first real cage I put in one of those plush tent shaped "cuddle huts" and she slept inside or perched on top until I took it away from her at about six months old. I worried she would either chew it up and swallow the fuzz, somehow get trapped and injured, or begin compulsively laying eggs in it.

So, I can understand why you use a similar plushie with Cosmo. If you decide to continue to use it, please inspect it frequently for loose threads and other damage and g
Thank God you discover his handiwork (beakiwoe
I got JJ when he was already 15 plus years old and I don’t know much about his past. I was told that he was probably clipped at some point but he isn’t now. That being said, he doesn’t really fly, I think he maybe never really learned to because he was clipped. I have had budgies who did a little bit of crashing when they were first learning to fly! I would close the drapes so they couldn’t crash into windows when they were first learning and that helped! It sometimes took them a couple weeks to get good at flying.
Once they figure out the limits of a room and what walls are they generally don't crash into them anymore. My budgies are now amazingly skilled flyers and swoop and turn so fast you almost don't see it.

Rosy71

Nov 12, 2023
Florida
Parrots
Quacker
I really hope so .. I don’t want him hurt or injured .. but if I take him out 2 times a day I hold him and if I put him down he will automatically try to fly unless I get him quickly .. if not he flies and goes straight to a wall .. I feel he hits his upper tummy ..
yesterday happened Twice day before same .. but if I don’t take him outa cage I don’t want to lose being able to touch him or get him .. sometimes he doesn’t want me to get him and goes around cage ..
he’s almost 4 months already .. idk about taming him more or how to do it
I think we are too inexperienced ..
thanks !

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I really hope so .. I don’t want him hurt or injured .. but if I take him out 2 times a day I hold him and if I put him down he will automatically try to fly unless I get him quickly .. if not he flies and goes straight to a wall .. I feel he hits his upper tummy ..
yesterday happened Twice day before same .. but if I don’t take him outa cage I don’t want to lose being able to touch him or get him .. sometimes he doesn’t want me to get him and goes around cage ..
thanks !S

ome people, myself included,

thanks !
In a situation like yours, some people, myself included, have their birds' wings trimmed slightly to prevent them from getting up enough speed to hurt themselves flying into walls, etc.

With a slight trim, the bird can still fly but can't gain too much speed or altitude. The longest flight feathers can be trimmed about one inch evenly on both sides.

Since he has a vet appointment coming up, discuss it with the vet. Make sure you tell them that you want him to be able to fly after t

Most Reactions

Latest posts