Help with poorly Galah

les9566

May 11, 2021
Hi, I hope someone can advise. We have a approx 2.5-3 yr old male galah. Smokey is usually inquisitive and responsive, loves scratches,tickles and kisses with both my wife and I and he was fine last night while out of his cage. At bedtime it was the usual sounds of objection at being covered.in the morning he usually let's you know he's awake and it's the prompt to uncover him.
This morning nothing and we were greeted with a poorly lethargic baby who keeps dozing. He is lifeless and even refused corn(which he loves). We have him warm in the lounge with us (as always) and he seeks to be gasping for breath and chest is short pants. Please can someone advise and I have tried umpteen vets and no one has an avian vet. Even our own is shut. He is is just sat there and I am really worried, he has drank but not interested in food.

Please help if you can. Please note we have no sprays ,scented candles or anything in the house. Nothing has changed as far as I know
Thanks les

Attachments

• VID20230102124334.mp4
    3.2 MB

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
What seems like a rapid change in the visible health of your Parrot is more likely their ability to hide an illness, until they can no longer.
Although, there are several fast acting toxins that can rapidly bring on this kind of response. It is more likely that a respiratory infection and in its later stages. You need to move your Parrot to an Avian Vet and quickly!! Not an easy thing as this is one of the most difficult days of the year to get medical help!
If you have an Avian Vet, call their emergency line. If they are open, call and tell them you have a very sick Parrot and need attention, NOW!
We have had a long time and active relationship with our Avian Vet and have had more than enough fast trips to her Clinic.
Regardless, you need to be in contact and/or on your way!!

Last edited:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Les, I'm so sorry that Smokey isn't feeling well. As you're probably aware, parrots are prey animals, and as such will instinctively hide any signs of illness until they are unable to any longer. At that point, they're probably very sick, and time is critical. Please do everything you can do to support him until you can get to a vet. Supplemental heat, since just trying to maintain body temperature burns tons of calories that he can't spare right now. Food! Anything he'll eat that's not dangerous of course, let him have. If he's refusing regular foods, and even if he's still eating, but not enough, get some baby bird formula and feed him what you can. And again, most importantly, find a vet if there's any way possible. Here's a link that lists some avian vets around the world that might help you find one.

Please keep us updated. Sending prayers and healing vibes for you and Smokey. 🙏

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I hear you, but its time to use you tools to dig and make contact!
Near all Vets have staff onsite or visiting the Clinic several times during the day and night to care for animals in their post-surgery or care section. Point being, there are Techs in and out.

In the meantime Keep Him Warm and with lots of water and favorite foods available.

HowdyDoDee

Jan 18, 2020
Minnesota
Parrots
Parakeet
Hello!

Waldo miraculously survived grave illness which presented similarly. He was so sick. The vet also believed him to be a miracle bird.

His treatment was to turn his cage into an incubator of sorts. This was done using a heating pad and plastic wrap around the bottom (half?) of the cage to insulate it. Reduce stimulation - cover cage. Although very social when well, recovery took place in his cage (at the bottom of the cage).

Not sure if we had a humidifier going for him, but a cool mist humidifier in the room- not too close- can also help. Be sure it is clean, and fill with distilled water. Keep food and water easily accessible. Provide favorites, and nutrition. (Clean, misted greens, hard boiled egg including crushed shell in a shallow dish opposite birdie on bottom of cage?)

Recap for a once vet prescribed birdie home icu:
1. Heating pad
2. Saran Wrap for insulation
3. Cover cage
4. Humidity

🙏

Laura

Last edited:
OP
L

les9566

May 11, 2021
So hard to write, took our beautiful baby to the vets and they couldn't keep her in. Antibiotics and got her home lifted her out from r a last cuddle and she went in my as. God rest you smokey xx heartbroken but a least she went in my arms and not alone. Fly high you beautiful goofy loving baby ❤️😥

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm so sorry for your loss, my heart aches for you.
I believe Smokey will be waiting for you on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge, health restored and eager to share all of her new adventures.
Again, my deepest condolences.

OP
L

les9566

May 11, 2021
Thanks for your words of support and thanks to Smokey for letting us be part of your life. Never be forgotten our beautiful baby xx

Attachments

• IMG_20210810_200036.jpg
    IMG_20210810_200036.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 43

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
SO sorry to read of Smokes passing, but he was no doubt less scared because you were there.
Each year i make a donation to Cornell Univ in memory of all the parrots that passed away here on the forum. Smokies will be the first name on the list for 2023.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Thanks for your words of support and thanks to Smokey for letting us be part of your life. Never be forgotten our beautiful baby xx
@les9566, I'm so sorry for your loss of baby Smokey. All the more devastating as she was so young and you would have been looking forward to so many more happy loving years together. As heartbreaking as it was, I personally think it's better that she left this world with you there rather than all alone in a clinic surrounded by strangers, or with nobody at all with her - that has happened to one of mine. Much better in my opinion that she passed enveloped by your love as the cherished baby that I know from your writings that she was. Every precious feathered soul deserves to be as loved as Smokey was, please accept my deepest condolences for your loss 💔

Godspeed to the Rainbow Bridge, beautiful Smokey, until we all meet again, and I know that we will 🙏🌈

OP
L

les9566

May 11, 2021
SO sorry to read of Smokes passing, but he was no doubt less scared because you were there.
Each year i make a donation to Cornell Univ in memory of all the parrots that passed away here on the forum. Smokies will be the first name on the list for 2023.
Thank you so much. Anyone that has had and lost a birds must always ask themselves, what did I miss..the answer many of us come up with is .. nothing. From the minute we got smokey I immersed myself in the dos and do nots and believed we were doing everything in our power to make sure smokey was happy, safe and loved. Xx.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
So hard to write, took our beautiful baby to the vets and they couldn't keep her in. Antibiotics and got her home lifted her out from r a last cuddle and she went in my as. God rest you smokey xx heartbroken but a least she went in my arms and not alone. Fly high you beautiful goofy loving baby ❤️😥
I am so very very sorry for your loss.

HowdyDoDee

Jan 18, 2020
Minnesota
Parrots
Parakeet
You did your best. I’m sorry you are heartbroken, and missing your feathered family member. Was so hoping you’d have your own miracle bird story to share…

Most Reactions