Help with weaning conure

Joeythegrey

Feb 2, 2024
Parrots
African grey
Indian ringneck
Hi any help please. Iā€™ve been hand feeding my conure since 4 weeks. He will be 14 weeks on Sunday, I cannot seem to get him weaned of his morning feed. Itā€™s the only feed he has a day, he eats pellets fruit and vedge and a little bit of seed. Heā€™s also drinking water. What can I do to get him weaned off. I no he obviously isnā€™t ready to let go of the morning feed yet but I read they should be fully weaned by 12 weeks. Any help please on what I can do thanks

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Keep offering his formula until HE stops asking for it. He might even wean and then backslide and want some once again. Don't worry this is called abundance weaning, how parrots in the wild do it and how responsible breeders should too. If you are weaning him, I highly suggest this. He WILL stop eventually, its not like you are creating some formula junkie. Some 40 yr old parrot "hey, man where's morning fix, bro". Not happening.

OP
J

Joeythegrey

Feb 2, 2024
Parrots
African grey
Indian ringneck
Thankyou yes he is still offered it every morning. He gulps one spoon then flies off. I just wasnā€™t sure if I was doing something wrong etc Thankyou for advice :)

Most Reactions