HELP with WILD fledgling Red-headed Amazon

GaryofPlanetRehab

Jul 11, 2019
Hello All
I am new here. I am the founder/director of Environmental Nonprofit Planet Rehab. We do a lot of Rescue work and will be shortly moving to Panama (Bocas del Toro) to work with protecting Endangered Species.
SOOO - yesterday I got a call about an injured parrot at a Retirement Community where I manager their Aviary. I went to pick it up and found a fledgling Red-headed Amazon - must have fallen out of a tree -under a rose bush. I couldn't, in good conscience, leave him there as he would have been attacked by predators.
Trying to hand feed this little guy is a challenge. I'm using Exact w Syringe. Also providing fruit and spray millet. I have handfed many birds - both domestic and wild, but this guy thinks I am the devil and each handfeeding session is very difficult.
Any ideas on making the bonding process easier? What are your favorite weaning foods?
Thanks!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I found that millet is a good starting food and you are already using that.
You could try soaking pellets of different kinds in water or 100% apple just.
Warm soft veggies are also good most of my amazons have liked carrots and it's really good for them.

Kale and spinach are good as leafy green foods to try your bird on.

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
I have a baby Redhead who's about 8 weeks old and a wild rehab failure (given to me by my vet). They love fruits. My baby's current favorites are oranges, lemons, banana, grapes, cherries (pitted first), kiwi, ginger beets, and radishes. If he's eating at all, you can offer those as well as hand feeds. You can also make a sort of "soup" out of fruits and formula to increase calorie count. Offer lots of veggies too, but their developing brains and bodies need lots of calories so it's okay to be heavy on the fruits for now. I do have to admit that I know nothing about the handfeeding process. My vet got my baby weaned before he gave him to me, and I've never had a baby before this.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Scrambled eggs, cooked oatmeal. I'm very hesitant to endore citrus fruit, or any diet heavy in fruit...sorry Beatrice...
Most parrots really relish hot red chili peppers, and they boost the immune system. Under breeding their is a sticky in blue " so you brought home an unweaned baby" might have some useful info. I'd add probiotics to his diet, or give a small amount of live culture yogurt with no artificial sweeteners.... Good luck thanks for the work you do!!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts