Help! Worried. My 4 mo GCC flew into my glass patio door about an hr ago

Bishrl

Apr 25, 2022
Parrots
GC Yellow Sided Conure
About 30 mins ago he flew from across the room into my window. I'm very worried. Can anyone tell me what to watch out for as far as any damage. He seems ok, but it's being more lovable right now than normal. He does seem like his balance is a tiny bit off. But it could just be me paranoid. Im worried about concussion or he could be in shock still and acting more normal because of it. He is eating fine right now and was preening himself about 5 mins ago and wanting head and neck rubs but I just put him in his cage to keep an eye on him. I saw a post about a budgie and the same issue on here that ended up showing worsening symptoms the next day and then passing. I'm freaking out over here. Thanks in advance.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Contact your vet if you can. It’s possible they can have neurological damage that isn’t immediately apparent; this is caused by swelling. An (avian certified) vet may be able to determine if that’s happening & stabilize.

To prevent this in the future buy some decals for your door; they’re cheap, you can get nice looking ones. They make all-over designs that make the glass look frosted but peel right off if you need to move etc. Here’s an example: Coavas Window Privacy Film Frosted Glass Static Clings Window Film Door Covering Film Non-Adhesive Removable Sun UV Blocking Heat Control Decorative for Home Office Hospital Kitchen https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X7HWPVU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_JB0J66Q15F4D4HBTP69Z?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Honestly, I’ve never had this happen with a domestic bird but I’ve taken in wild birds that have hit a window; they don’t usually recover. However, those birds were flying outside and at a much higher speed. I hope your little one is okay!

OP
B

Bishrl

Apr 25, 2022
Parrots
GC Yellow Sided Conure
Contact your vet if you can. It’s possible they can have neurological damage that isn’t immediately apparent; this is caused by swelling. An (avian certified) vet may be able to determine if that’s happening & stabilize.

To prevent this in the future buy some decals for your door; they’re cheap, you can get nice looking ones. They make all-over designs that make the glass look frosted but peel right off if you need to move etc. Here’s an example: Coavas Window Privacy Film Frosted Glass Static Clings Window Film Door Covering Film Non-Adhesive Removable Sun UV Blocking Heat Control Decorative for Home Office Hospital Kitchen https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X7HWPVU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_JB0J66Q15F4D4HBTP69Z?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Honestly, I’ve never had this happen with a domestic bird but I’ve taken in wild birds that have hit a window; they don’t usually recover. However, those birds were flying outside and at a much higher speed. I hope your little one is okay!
Thank you so much. He seems fine right now. He's eating an has flown around a few times. Acting normal. I'm just watching him right like a hawk to make sure he sustained no injuries

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Its good to cage rest them for 48 hours. So if there us any swelling it isn't made worse by increased blood pressure from activity.

Vets are always a great idea.

But hopefully if you aren't seeing anything right now. Then a couple if days taking it easy should be ok

My budgie us probably tge one you read about. He had seziers and was down right after it happened. Then he couldn't right himself and had head tilted and eyes shaking back and forth ...

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Do nit let him fly around after a head trauma. Really a couple if days cage rest is best safest.

OP
B

Bishrl

Apr 25, 2022
Parrots
GC Yellow Sided Conure
Its good to cage rest them for 48 hours. So if there us any swelling it isn't made worse by increased blood pressure from activity.

Vets are always a great idea.

But hopefully if you aren't seeing anything right now. Then a couple if days taking it easy should be ok

My budgie us probably tge one you read about. He had seziers and was down right after it happened. Then he couldn't right himself and had head tilted and eyes shaking back and forth ...
Oh my gosh! I am so sorry. Maybe it was your little guy. Reading ur post scared me but he seems to be doing ok. But if he acts any differently through the day I’m for sure taking him in to an emergency vet. He’s just been chilling and cuddling with me on my shoulder for the last hour. He is still getting feisty too as normally so hopefully that’s a good sign . :) xoxo

OP
B

Bishrl

Apr 25, 2022
Parrots
GC Yellow Sided Conure
snoozing lol
tempImageuoF7Sd.jpg

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I think everything will be fine. But I really stress no flying and cafe rest fir 2 days unless out and cuddling with you. Think how your doctor would advise you after a car accident or head injury. Rest and quiet.

Abd take him for tours around house when recovers and tap on glass on all windows and repeat many times.

OP
B

Bishrl

Apr 25, 2022
Parrots
GC Yellow Sided Conure
How is he doing today??
Hi there! He seems back to his normal self today :) I'm so thankful. That scared me. I would be devastated should he have been really hurt. Thank you all so much for your kind words and advice <3

Most Reactions

Latest posts