Help!!!

Astro

Sep 3, 2007
Phoenix
Parrots
1-Calico Macaw- Cosmo
I'm new :D This is my problem. I got a Macaw when he was a year old. I Had kept him for 9 1/2 years. He was soo loveable, I could handle him perfectly! He NEVER bit me- ever. Then I had to go to college and so he was picking at himself, so I had a relative who has other macaws take him. They said he would get all kinds of attention, and When I would visit they would tell me all the stuff they do woth him.. Well, a year & a half- maybe 2 yrs later they call and say they can't keep him anymore due to health issues (They are getting old) Then, they proceed to tell me they never held him because they were afraid of him, they just kept him outside with the rest of the birds (Which he was always in the living room with me) I would go and visit him alot, but I didn't hold him- they would make up some reason of why it wasn't a good time. Well, I brought him home today and now he Bites the heck out of me. I'm sooo mad that they lied to me. I feel like I have to start over with him. Do you think I can get him back to the way he was? He was giving me a lot of kisses on the way home, so maybe that's a good sign? What do you guys think? :(

Keupi

Aug 16, 2007
Connecticut
Parrots
Keupi - a Senegal.
I think you are on the right track with your Macaw (though others with Macaws will know better). From what I know, fids don't forget - they do hold grudges, but they don't forget. Take him to the vet - soon - really soon.

The one thing, and it may be tough, but stop blaming your relatives and yourself. It's really difficult, but the care that they gave in the past was probably the best care available. Thirty years ago, a bird going to the vet, even regularly was a huh? Also, many of the birds many had back... not too long ago (1992)... were also captured in the wild (before the act was passed). The cuddling, the nutrition, the standards, the... well... the nuture wasn't the same as it is today.

So, maybe he wants to kiss you and kill you (but I'd get him to a vet - quick - even just to get a baseline) - but I wouldn't necessarily hate them either... or yourself. They may have done the best they know by their knowledge.

Get him to the vet, sooner than later, and after the checkup talk with the vet about reestablishing/cementing your obvious bond. In the meantime, talk with your fid and let him know how proud you are of him, how much you missed him, how it was tough to be away from him, how you are (and from what I read) now back together again, hand in feather, so to say...

but also, don't beat yourself up either... best you could/can, everything you could/can... all you can always

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
I ... Do you think I can get him back to the way he was? He was giving me a lot of kisses on the way home, so maybe that's a good sign? What do you guys think?

YES, YES Astro, you can get him back ... it will take a little time, but you have a lot of things in your favor ...

1) you handled him for 10 years, that's a really good base to work form.
2) Macaws usually mate for life, and since your buddy started out as your mate for ten years, s/he wants you back ... Which is probably why your relative couldn't handle him ... "oh, he bites, throw him in the aviary with the rest of them ... " instead of thinking about WHY he was biting ... loss of a mate upset him/her.
3) You sound like a pretty smart bird person, you will be back to normal in like 6 months or so ... maybe even sooner ...

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

Please feel free to post pictures of your Mac (what kind is s/he you never mentioned) we need more big mac owners around here ...

~ :50: Tex

OP
Astro

Astro

Sep 3, 2007
Phoenix
Parrots
1-Calico Macaw- Cosmo
Thanks you guys for the advise. I do need to give them credit that they did have him seen by a bird vet, he was well taken care of that way. He was a little mad this morning, but I'm gonna keep working on him. My mom is too. He started dancing with her when she turned on "their" song. So I guess they really don't forget :D His name is Cosmo. I am almost positive he is a Shamrock, but my relatives seem to think he is a Calico. He is very beautifull-with a long red tale. I will post a pic when I can. I will keep you guys updated as we bond again.

Thanks again :D

Chewy

Aug 24, 2007
Media
Washington state
Parrots
1cockatoo Chewy 2 cockatiels Male=eli female-=LittleFoot
I am certain that you will be able to get him back where he was. Good Luck. It might be a tough road but you can do it!!!!!!

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
First of all Welcome to the Parrot Forums!!!

We don't have enough Macaw owners here so its nice to have you on board. Don't get yourself down to much. You had a long time togther before so I'm sure things will go back to the way they were witha lot of love and patience!!!

He sounds like a real clown so share lots of stories and pictures as soon as you can. :D

rockinseattle

Aug 16, 2007
WA United States
Parrots
2 large macaws 1 CAG, 1 mini macaw, 1 amazon, 1 cockatoo
I'm sure he remembers you and I'm sure once he settles and adjust being back with you he will calm down.

That being said, you are going to have to keep working with him and be patient. This may take a little while to sort out, but I find that macaws are a little easier then some of the other types of birds as far as adjustment goes.

You did what you thought was right so don't blame yourself. Enjoy having your macaw back with you:)

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
Fort those of you who are unfamiliar with hybrid macaws let me help you guys out ...

Scarlet Macaw X Military Macaw = Shamrock Macaw ...

Greenwing Macaw X Military Macaw = Calico Macaw ...

Both are beautiful, and I can't wait to see a picture of Cosmo, I am very excited about this!

~ Tex

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
Fort those of you who are unfamiliar with hybrid macaws let me help you guys out ...

Scarlet Macaw X Military Macaw = Shamrock Macaw ...

Greenwing Macaw X Military Macaw = Calico Macaw ...

Both are beautiful, and I can't wait to see a picture of Cosmo, I am very excited about this!

~ Tex

There are a tun of different hybrids. way more than that.

OP
Astro

Astro

Sep 3, 2007
Phoenix
Parrots
1-Calico Macaw- Cosmo
Thanks you guys for all the avice. I am sooo excited. When I got home from work today I sweet talked him a little bit and opened his cage door, and asked if he wanted to go for a walk. He crawled out onto the door and put his claw out to me- I put my hand up to him and told him to step up. He got right on and we went for our walk. All around the house- but first to the frig. He used to love to pick his grapes out, but this time it was a little treat of something else since I have no grapes- he didn't mind. Then he reached down and felt my hand with his tongue. I'm flying high! Man I love that bird. :p I tried to take some picks with my cell, but they didn' turn out too good, so I'm gonna try to scan some in to post.

Ok- here is a little tiny pics from my cell, not very good so more to come later
Ok- how do I get my pics to show up? - You can copy and paste the link below
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/data2link/Cosmo2.jpg

Last edited:

Flyte

Jun 18, 2007
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw, Madison;
Yellow Naped Amazon, Rocky;
Timneh African Grey, Tyler
I've got a blue and gold macaw. I have had a few times where I left and had to leave her with my folks. I went away to the army for basic training but that one was only a few months. I got married and was living in a tiny apartment for over a year with no animals allowed.. no way I could sneak her in. I visited often but she was very angry with me.
The past year and a half I have been home but unable to play with or care for my birds much because of illness. I think that was even worse for them because they could hear me and didn't understand why I didn't come play. :(
My mom cared for them but it isn't the same thing.
She kind of thinks of them as a nuisance (because they are to her.. she can't use scented candles or run her oven cleaner..among other things) they ended up underweight and miserable. My mom is also legally blind. She can see but not very well.. so don't hate her, it was very hard :)
Anyway, Madison, and my other birds, forgave me every time. Sure I had a few days of angry bites and 'bad mom' but it didn't last long.
I would have thought Cosmo would end up being angry for a little longer but from your post, it sounds like he's just pleased as punch to be home with his mommy. I'd just stay on the lookout and keep him off my shoulder for awhile. Might be more unpredictable than normal for awhile. Being really happy also means being REALLY excited! And I'm sure you know what happens when our big guys get too excited!
I agree with everyone on the vet checkup thing asap, if possible.
Don't beat yourself up, you had no other choice and you were being lied to about his care. That's not your fault. That said, if your angry with your relatives then go ahead and be angry for awhile. It's not going to help anything to keep it bottled up inside you.
I wish you guys the best of luck.. Cosmo is insanely handsome.

OP
Astro

Astro

Sep 3, 2007
Phoenix
Parrots
1-Calico Macaw- Cosmo
Thanks Tex for posting the link :)

Flyte- thanks for the encouragement. Sorry to here that about your birds. I'm still being causous around him, I think after last night it just boosted my confidence a little. He wasn't as excited to get out of his cage this morning though. So hopefully when I get home tonight he will be ready again. I was also afraid that he wouldn't talk as much, but my mom just called me and said he was talking away - so another good sign. Now the bummer thing is I will be gone for 2 weeks. I hope he forgives me for this. my brother lives with us so he is helping with him too, and he will be wathcing him while we are gone. So wont be totally stressfull for him I hope. :19:

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
... if your angry with your relatives then go ahead and be angry for awhile ...

Or, you could just let Cosmo be angry with your relatives ... I bet he could show displeasure in so many more creative ways than you can ... ;):16:

OP
Astro

Astro

Sep 3, 2007
Phoenix
Parrots
1-Calico Macaw- Cosmo
lol- I'm sure they wouldn't go near him- But I would like to see it! I have him sitting next to me right now. He's eating a cooked bean :D He's really coming around. He let me cuddle him against my chest and rub his belly while he chewed my shirt (I save on shirt just for that) and licked my hands. So far so good. He's a little jumpy, but I would be too. I have to admit that I thougt it would be a lot harder than it has been. t's still not the same - I still get nervous having my finger in his beak :rolleyes:

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
Well, it will take time for both of you to get used to each other again ... but that is to be expected ... Is Cosmo "bite pressure" trained? I think that all Macaws need to be, it's really a good thing for them to learn, and it can be a lot of fun to teach them ... play time learning is a good thing for all birdies ...

OP
Astro

Astro

Sep 3, 2007
Phoenix
Parrots
1-Calico Macaw- Cosmo
Tex-- No I haven't had him bite pressure trained. I never had this problem before I gave him up. He never put any pressure on emme at all. How do I do it? Any info without me having to pay for it??? :D

By the way-I noticed he is scratching himself more. I think it is because he went from a warm shed that was cooled by a swamp cooler, to inside a Air conditioned house. We keep him away from the air vents, but could this maybe dry him out? I just gave him a shower.

Thanks ;)

Last edited:

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
yeah, the scratching is probably due to the dry air in the house ... daily or every-other day showers should help that ... keep an eye on it though, make sure it doesn't turn into a plucking issue ... but if you nip it in the bud now, you should be OK ...

Information w/o paying for it ... c'mon now ... you are sitting at a computer ... what more could you want? All of the information you could want for a nominal monthly internet fee ... let me see if I can get you some good links without being a total wise ass ... ;);)

~ :50:

Most Reactions