help

noddy

Aug 13, 2009
i have just been given a red lord amazon off my brother he loves a shower and talks ok but i have done something silly his claws are sharp so i got the dog clippers and clipped one of his claws and it started bleeding i was told to put backing powder on and it did stop will he be ok ?.. he is 13 now and loves a cuddle and a chat he is trying to say my dogs name now but wud it be ok to have his wing cliped or is he to old he has never had it done my brother used to take him in the garden were he wud fly about and come back but i have only had him 7 days do i get them cliped or not as i wud like him to go on the decking and not fly away ?.....

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Wow ... the large font isn't really necessary ...

Actually, baking powder was a good suggestion (corn starch also works too if you don't have any of the 'official' stuff that you are supposed to have, I think it's called QUICK-STOP but I can't remember right now) ...

Watch the bleeding closely for the next few hours ... depending on how far you clip the nail, it may, or may not, stop on it's own ... if it doesn't you need to get to the vet asap ...

bird perch

Aug 16, 2009
va
Parrots
eclectus, CAG
To avoid the nail problem again you should look into getting him a Sandy Perch, it will keep the nails filed for you. As far as wings that is a personal decision. Good luck with your new bird.

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
Sand or concrete perches are often recommended to keep the nails down, and I do use the concrete style, but I have found at least for my Auggie (dusky conure) that the rope perches are really the ticket to keeping both his nails and beak in good shape (he rubs his beak on them).

When he was without his rope perches but had plenty of stone/concrete his beak got ugly fast and his nails got quite painfully sharp.

Every bird is likely a bit different but this is one birds story.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Our conures have sand, rope and natural perches in their respective cages ... even with this, they still need to have their nails trimmed every 6 weeks or so ... otherwise their little toes get very uncomfortable to handle ...

bird perch

Aug 16, 2009
va
Parrots
eclectus, CAG
I did a poor job on my last reply. When I suggested a Sandy Perch I did not mean for that to be the only perch. Rope perches and other perches should be the perches that are used the most- highest in the cage. I use a pedicure perch at the water bottle and a food bowl. Since I did this years ago I have never had to cut the nails of either my Eclectus or CAG. Sorry for any confusion on my last post. Thanks.

RedsDad

Sep 10, 2009
Springfield Ma.
Parrots
Red Lord Amazon
Miss Red a 25 + year old Red lord amazon has had her nails trimmed once by a vet, she love to play on the floor in my office its a smooth concrete and she love to bub her beak on it as she plays, it all so keeps her nails trimmed, the only time she is in her cage is to sleep or when I'm not home so a concrete perch wouldn't work for her. I found when she start to stress out I take her into the bathroom and turn on the shower to quiet her down.

Reds Dad

Most Reactions

Latest posts