Help

LauraL

Feb 12, 2021
I have a yelow side conure and I notice that he has a wound at his finger on the left middle finger under the fingernail.
Can anyone advise me what to do?
Please
Thank you
:rainbow1:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Sounds like a compression wound on the claw at or near the nail possible as a result of being caught in a cage door.

Such wounds can become infected and your Parrot should be seen by its Avian Medical Professional. DYI care can be dangerous as what Humans would used on a toe wound can be lethal for a Parrot

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and your conure!

Are you able to upload a pic of the injury? None of us are vets but may give more helpful guidance based on past experiences. If significant injury or you are uncertain, a visit with avian vet is best.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
So in the mean time before you see a Certified Avian Vet (CAV), keep her perches and other standing and walking areas clean, really clean, as most parrots walk thru and track poops all over those areas, and a toe wound or abrasion on the foot, especially the bottom, can get infected quickly.

OP
L

LauraL

Feb 12, 2021
Re: Help!!!

Hi all,
Thank you all, for your answer I try to attach some picture of his wound as well.
He has a big cage , I check every corner of it, but I couldn't find anything that can cause that.
I do not know what to do.
I am new on the site I do not know if I post it where it's supouse to be.
Thank You

25833d1613416350-help-face1.jpg

25834d1613416364-help-face4.jpg

25835d1613416372-help-face5.jpg

Attachments

• face1.jpg
    face1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 91
  • face4.jpg
    face4.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 85
  • face5.jpg
    face5.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 89
Last edited by a moderator:

ShellyL

Feb 15, 2021
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Parrots
Black capped conures, Duffy and Rocky
Lilac Crowned Amazon, Gemi
Blue Fronted Amazon, Paco
Alexandrine Parrots, Worf & Dougie
Congo African Grey, Ozzy
Parakeet, Stormy
Awwww, sweet little conure! Try removing any grooming perches and use rope perches instead. If the bottom of that foot feels noticeably hotter than his other foot, it might indicate infection.

OP
L

LauraL

Feb 12, 2021
than you
it does not feel hotter than the other foot. but he stats to keep it under the wing from time to time

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
That's more serious than I had imagined.
A veterinarian visit is a good idea. It already looks infected, and tge first layer of skin seems pulled back from it.. its easy for bird to develop bumble foot a chronic infection in foot. Because of little tissue around their bones and poor blood supply.

Yiu can also put a couple of drops of betadine in warm water , so the water us lightly tinted, like watery ice tea. And soak the foot in it a few minutes 3 times a day. You can let him stand in it, or really soak a wash cloth in it and hold on his foot.

Its also a good idea to have digital kitchen gram scale. Best practice to weigh your bird every week. Every day when something is going on. 3% weight-loss seek veterinarian. But fir tge foot i would.
Take weight lost divide by normal weight x 100 = % lost

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts