Help

Tinkerbell

Nov 8, 2021
Parrots
Kakariki and Cockatiel
I have kept cockatiels for about 4 years now. I have recently purchased two new birds. The lady from the bird shop from which I bought them assured me they are both females. One is a cockatiel and the other a kakariki. They were all in the same aviary together when I bought them .My concern is I noticed the Kakriki trying to mate with the cockatiel last night. Can this be normal behaviour ? Never had two different breeds before. I have googled and it says that it will be unsuccessful. But my main question is will two females display this behavior? They co-habit in the cage together brilliantly. Can anyone help please

OP
T

Tinkerbell

Nov 8, 2021
Parrots
Kakariki and Cockatiel
Hello and welcome! Yup, two females will do as observed!
With no formal, birds and the bees, education, all they know is they have an itch that really wants attention!
Thank you. It was quite comical to watch. But I was concerned I may of been sold a male. That has put my mind at ease

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and your flock! Normal behavior with mixed species, glad you are keeping close watch and have compatible birds in same cage!

OP
T

Tinkerbell

Nov 8, 2021
Parrots
Kakariki and Cockatiel
Welcome to you and your flock! Normal behavior with mixed species, glad you are keeping close watch and have compatible birds in same cage!
I did ask the lady from the bird shop if it would be ok. She advised me that they would get along well together. I wouldn't of purchased them otherwise. Thought it would be ok with two females. They follow each other around and enjoy eating together. Even out of the cage they stick together

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I did ask the lady from the bird shop if it would be ok. She advised me that they would get along well together. I wouldn't of purchased them otherwise. Thought it would be ok with two females. They follow each other around and enjoy eating together. Even out of the cage they stick together
So glad you received sound advice from the lady at bird shop!!

Most Reactions