Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
How old is your bird? Are you sure he or she isn't just molting?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hi,
I know you haven't had him long . How is he eating and what is he eating?

I recommend weigh on digital scale set to grams. Knowing weight and checking is good at detecting health issues earlier if any.

Because its so cold in many places. And burds can be sensitive to chill. If his cage is near a window move it a few feet away. And cover at least the back at night.

Can you explain more about looking rough? Its hard to tell from one picture if he is fluffing , or anything

OP
C

Cierra.varela

Jan 11, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Hi,
I know you haven't had him long . How is he eating and what is he eating?

I recommend weigh on digital scale set to grams. Knowing weight and checking is good at detecting health issues earlier if any.

Because its so cold in many places. And burds can be sensitive to chill. If his cage is near a window move it a few feet away. And cover at least the back at night.

Can you explain more about looking rough? Its hard to tell from one picture if he is fluffing , or anything
He has lost some feathers and he seems skinny compared to my other conure. He looks like a scraggly man down on his luck. He eats what he's ate since I first got him. The lady I bought him from only fed him seeds. I have him on a pellet diet. He won't eat fruits or veggies.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
He has lost some feathers and he seems skinny compared to my other conure. He looks like a scraggly man down on his luck. He eats what he's ate since I first got him. The lady I bought him from only fed him seeds. I have him on a pellet diet. He won't eat fruits or veggies.
I would recommend getting him in to see an avian vet if he seems skinnier. Better safe than sorry, birds can hide their illness for a long time. It could just be a hard molt, but I would take him in to be seen because it could be something that may need medication.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
agree with above. A burd looking skinny and rough should get checked out.
Sometimes with diet switches they eat but not well.
Its usually kinda hard to see weight change unless it's a lot. So a goid practice is to know their healthy weight and use a kitchen scale to check and log weights.

Most Reactions

Latest posts