Help!!

Mitchell380

Mar 10, 2022
Parrots
Yellow crested amazon
Hello,

My parrot accidentally flew into a sofa and appears to have damaged his eye. The images aren't very clear but he has a white dot in the black part of his eye. The vet has said it is not damage to the lenses but the actual eye. Over the last week it has gotten slightly bigger. Has anyone got any tips or help on what it is?? The dot is the lower one (the bigger one above is a reflection).
20220310_152755.jpg
. Image 2 the dot is above the window reflection. His black bit of the eye is also slightly cloudy.

Please help me :(
20220310_172455.jpg

Attachments

• 20220310_153607.jpg
    20220310_153607.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
Poor baby. I unfortunately don’t have the knowledge to give you helpful info about the eye. Hopefully someone will chime in. But I can tell you that if you’re having any slightest doubts at all, a second opinion from another CAV or just make another appointment with your current CAV to rule out any more issues if present. They will know best.

OP
M

Mitchell380

Mar 10, 2022
Parrots
Yellow crested amazon
Poor baby. I unfortunately don’t have the knowledge to give you helpful info about the eye. Hopefully someone will chime in. But I can tell you that if you’re having any slightest doubts at all, a second opinion from another CAV or just make another appointment with your current CAV to rule out any more issues if present. They will know best.
I know:( hopefully someone will help! Yes, I've booked him another appointment for next Friday to give him another week. But I am sure it has gotten bugger..

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Just listen to your vet. Unfortunately I can’t really help you. Poor guy, hope everything is resolved soon ❤️

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Welcome to the forums, sorry it's got an ouchie..

Eye stuff I always consider an emergency, and strictly in the realm of your avian veterinarian.

Because I also noticed the dry skin and extra flakes beak . Well homes can be dry and a little misting or use of a humidifier might help. But it's also often linked with diets that don't contain veggies or pellets. Some burds are stinkers when it comes to healthy stuff. Buts its well worth it to convince them.
If you want some ideas let us know and we can share tips

OP
M

Mitchell380

Mar 10, 2022
Parrots
Yellow crested amazon
Yes, i
Welcome to the forums, sorry it's got an ouchie..

Eye stuff I always consider an emergency, and strictly in the realm of your avian veterinarian.

Because I also noticed the dry skin and extra flakes beak . Well homes can be dry and a little misting or use of a humidifier might help. But it's also often linked with diets that don't contain veggies or pellets. Some burds are stinkers when it comes to healthy stuff. Buts its well worth it to convince them.
If you want some ideas let us know and we can share tips
Yes, I think I'll take him back next week. He is booked in for Friday again.
He is very stubborn and doesn't eat his pellets. Can you recommend any good ones?
In terms of veggies, again he is very fussy and will eat something one day and not the next. Do you have any veggies that are good idea to give him? Or to get him to eat them?

I hope someone knows something about his eye :(

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Eye problems are best left to a qualified or Certified Avian Vet.

As far as pellets and veggies, the best pellets are the ones your parrot will eat. Yeah some are better then others, like Tops, Harrisons and ROudybush, but if he doesn't eat any of them, they are worthless.

Veggies - cooked sweet potatoes are very good for him, as are cooked carrots.
Any sort of peppers, the hotter the better, are also very good. My little amazon likes them in his chop and alone on a skewer to chew and destroy. Leafy greens like kale and chards, sprouts, well the list is rather long of what can be put into chop. Parrots can choose to eat what they like. I try to vary the consistency of chop, ie chunks, diced and finally from a food processor which makes finely chopped veggies. Be persistent and offer a variety.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Yes, oven baked bites sold at pet smart have been one of the most liked by my parrots.

On veggies, really pushing ones with vitamin A will help. Cooked sweet potatoes served warm, offer some from your fingers. Cooked carrots also make the beta carotene/vitamin A more available. Yellow-red bell pepper seeds and all are often readily taken too, so for them , I serve daily!

I find serving chunks spread out on a plate or shallow dish outside of cage or on cage top or even try tge bottom and letting them find explore helps. Also suspension with burd skewers ir something at head hight readily gets them interested.
Edit: ha Wrench and I double posted :)
Here is a link thst might be helpful, and I'll go get another

OP
M

Mitchell380

Mar 10, 2022
Parrots
Yellow crested amazon
Eye problems are best left to a qualified or Certified Avian Vet.

As far as pellets and veggies, the best pellets are the ones your parrot will eat. Yeah some are better then others, like Tops, Harrisons and ROudybush, but if he doesn't eat any of them, they are worthless.

Veggies - cooked sweet potatoes are very good for him, as are cooked carrots.
Any sort of peppers, the hotter the better, are also very good. My little amazon likes them in his chop and alone on a skewer to chew and destroy. Leafy greens like kale and chards, sprouts, well the list is rather long of what can be put into chop. Parrots can choose to eat what they like. I try to vary the consistency of chop, ie chunks, diced and finally from a food processor which makes finely chopped veggies. Be persistent and offer a variety.
Thank you! I have attached a better photo of his eye if you know anyone that will know anything! He is going to the vets again next Wednesday.

OP
M

Mitchell380

Mar 10, 2022
Parrots
Yellow crested amazon
Yes, oven baked bites sold at pet smart have been one of the most liked by my parrots.

On veggies, really pushing ones with vitamin A will help. Cooked sweet potatoes served warm, offer some from your fingers. Cooked carrots also make the beta carotene/vitamin A more available. Yellow-red bell pepper seeds and all are often readily taken too, so for them , I serve daily!

I find serving chunks spread out on a plate or shallow dish outside of cage or on cage top or even try tge bottom and letting them find explore helps. Also suspension with burd skewers ir something at head hight readily gets them interested.
Edit: ha Wrench and I double posted :)
Here is a link thst might be helpful, and I'll go get another
Thanks! I've uploaded a new photo of his eye :( I certainly get on pushing the veggies to him :)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Thanks! I've uploaded a new photo of his eye :( I certainly get on pushing the veggies to him :)
Eyes freak me out honestly..lol
But it could be like a hematoma or bruise..but something could have torn , or a little foreign body got pushed in, or a scrape git infected, really zero way to know from internet pictures, I always say all eye things are for veterinarian

OP
M

Mitchell380

Mar 10, 2022
Parrots
Yellow crested amazon
Eyes freak me out honestly..lol
But it could be like a hematoma or bruise..but something could have torn , or a little foreign body got pushed in, or a scrape git infected, really zero way to know from internet pictures, I always say all eye things are for veterinarian
Yeah same.. very stressed out about it!
The vet confirmed there is no infection, no foreign body in it. They said the lense is fine its just the pupil is damaged. :(
But didn't know if anyone has seen anything like it before?
Anyway I'll still take him again next Wednesday.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Terry put some links to chop, some people have a lot of success with that. We are all always talking diet and nutrition here!
And this one

What I have found is the more new foods stuff you get them trying the better and bolder they get at trying new foods. I also hand them stuff , they don't take it fine I just set it down and eat dime myself in front of them. But I start by handing them stuff im pretty sure they will like and take to condition them to take stuff from me and try. Like I might hand a tiny piece if apple, then next hand a thawed frozen pea, a pice of popcorn , a single fresh corn kernel, a dab of applesauce. Recognizing different textures abd shapes as food seems to help getting them exploring. Also setting them up to share a big plate of mixed salad and veggies with you, maybe even with a hint of oil vinegar dressing. They learn from their flock.

Mine absolutely love veggies and exploring foods, so whenever I add a new parrot they take to veggies usually within days.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts