HELP !

Juamy

Aug 11, 2022
Parrots
Kiwi
I bought an IRN yesterday that I'm afraid now that she has a disease.

I am not an expert on birds, the seller told me that she was molting. But after looking for info on the internet. Im afraid he could be sick.

I will upload some pictures for advice.

Attachments

• 2C6F1C5B-C081-43BF-AEEC-98735817FB56.jpeg
    2C6F1C5B-C081-43BF-AEEC-98735817FB56.jpeg
    223.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 7172D07E-2025-4F2C-8165-FA3871A3CA27.jpeg
    7172D07E-2025-4F2C-8165-FA3871A3CA27.jpeg
    341.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 57F6F9C5-F779-49E9-9266-D6C713A1B8F5.jpeg
    57F6F9C5-F779-49E9-9266-D6C713A1B8F5.jpeg
    326 KB · Views: 61

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Welcome to the forums!!

Oh wow, your new ringneck is a gorgeous color! How is she adjusting at home so far? It can be normal for them to be acting off the first day or so, but I think it's always good to ask questions when you aren't sure.

I adopted my African Ringneck in the spring - I was totally new to ringnecks, and had never had a parrot of my own, so I know exactly how you feel!

My parrot started his first full molt (that I've seen) in July and looked absolutely awful! He was actually sick when I adopted him (I knew it at the time) and had gotten better, so I was super worried when he started looking so terrible! Thankfully his feathers looking all ragged and crazy are just how he looks when he molts. With his coloring he also gets really dark looking patches on his face, but now that his feathers are in he's nice and green again.

I'm not super familiar with the different IRN color mutations and how their beak color might change from the baby color, but my bird's beak started looking really flaky and cracked in places when he molted, even though there wasn't actually a crack. I know that some Indian Ringnecks can have black on their beaks as part of their coloring that might change or might not with age, so that by itself wouldn't necessarily be worrying in an IRN that isn't the wild type green - yours having a mottled black/red beak might be totally normal for her.

With my parrot, the things that were signs of illness - he had brown staining on the feathers above his nares (the nostril type holes at the top of his beak) because of moisture from a respiratory infection - your bird looks she has nice blue feathers there, and nice clear nares with no evidence of being plugged up or having any drainage.

Mine also had redness in his eyes where they should be white, and his irises weren't very clear - see how your bird has grey eyes around the black pupil? You couldn't see that at all with mine.

There are of course illnesses that we don't see symptoms of easily, so it's always recommended to take a new pet to a vet for a wellness check when you bring them home. They'll look at her all over, including inside her mouth to check her crop looks healthy, check her weight, and can give you a good idea of how she appears overall.

We have a list of Avian Veterinarians on the forum (just click the blue text to get there):
Avian Vet Resources

It's also recommended to weigh your parrot at least once a week - even daily if you're worried - and most people recommend doing this in the morning after she has her giant morning poop but before she eats. I have a cheap digital kitchen scale from Target/Walmart type store - you can put a little plastic tub on it, zero it out, then have her sit inside, or use a perch laid across it - there are lots of ways to do it. I've read in a lot of places that the first sign of illness is often weight loss, and sometimes it's the only way we find out that things are wrong.

Please ask any other questions you can think of; that's what we're here for!

Also - does she have a name yet? :)

Again - Welcome, and I hope you'll keep us updated!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I bought an IRN yesterday that I'm afraid now that she has a disease.

I am not an expert on birds, the seller told me that she was molting. But after looking for info on the internet. Im afraid he could be sick.

I will upload some pictures for advice.
I think she’s beautiful and I am wondering if you can point out what you’re concerned about? What do you think is wrong? That would help us advise.

As I look at the photos more, I see she has a bit of a ragged and short tail. If she is a baby, that’s not a big deal. It’s called “baby tail.” When the chicks are staggering around in the nest box or first aquarium or cage, the tail gets rubbed a lot and a bit tattered.

If she’s an adult, I still think that her feathers and tail are ok. As she lives in her own cage in your home, she will gradually get in better condition. Some regular showers or baths will help, too.

What do you plan to feed her? Can you tell us more.

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I am so glad you found us. I am thrilled and proud to see that members are already reaching out with great information and support.
Stick with us!
9lhIlM0.jpg

OP
J

Juamy

Aug 11, 2022
Parrots
Kiwi
Welcome to the forums!!

Oh wow, your new ringneck is a gorgeous color! How is she adjusting at home so far? It can be normal for them to be acting off the first day or so, but I think it's always good to ask questions when you aren't sure.

I adopted my African Ringneck in the spring - I was totally new to ringnecks, and had never had a parrot of my own, so I know exactly how you feel!

My parrot started his first full molt (that I've seen) in July and looked absolutely awful! He was actually sick when I adopted him (I knew it at the time) and had gotten better, so I was super worried when he started looking so terrible! Thankfully his feathers looking all ragged and crazy are just how he looks when he molts. With his coloring he also gets really dark looking patches on his face, but now that his feathers are in he's nice and green again.

I'm not super familiar with the different IRN color mutations and how their beak color might change from the baby color, but my bird's beak started looking really flaky and cracked in places when he molted, even though there wasn't actually a crack. I know that some Indian Ringnecks can have black on their beaks as part of their coloring that might change or might not with age, so that by itself wouldn't necessarily be worrying in an IRN that isn't the wild type green - yours having a mottled black/red beak might be totally normal for her.

With my parrot, the things that were signs of illness - he had brown staining on the feathers above his nares (the nostril type holes at the top of his beak) because of moisture from a respiratory infection - your bird looks she has nice blue feathers there, and nice clear nares with no evidence of being plugged up or having any drainage.

Mine also had redness in his eyes where they should be white, and his irises weren't very clear - see how your bird has grey eyes around the black pupil? You couldn't see that at all with mine.

There are of course illnesses that we don't see symptoms of easily, so it's always recommended to take a new pet to a vet for a wellness check when you bring them home. They'll look at her all over, including inside her mouth to check her crop looks healthy, check her weight, and can give you a good idea of how she appears overall.

We have a list of Avian Veterinarians on the forum (just click the blue text to get there):
Avian Vet Resources

It's also recommended to weigh your parrot at least once a week - even daily if you're worried - and most people recommend doing this in the morning after she has her giant morning poop but before she eats. I have a cheap digital kitchen scale from Target/Walmart type store - you can put a little plastic tub on it, zero it out, then have her sit inside, or use a perch laid across it - there are lots of ways to do it. I've read in a lot of places that the first sign of illness is often weight loss, and sometimes it's the only way we find out that things are wrong.

Please ask any other questions you can think of; that's what we're here for!

Also - does she have a name yet? :)

Again - Welcome, and I hope you'll keep us updated!
Thank you sooo much for your reply. I took my IRN yesterday to the vet and his fine and healthy. He's feathers are rough up from his last cage, the vet said he's feathers might get better overtime. Overall, he's healthy and strong (which I'm so happy).

His name is Kiwi, he's been home for 48 hrs already and he's sweet. Sometimes he beaks me (not too hard), but I think it's normal as he gets use to our family.
We made a bond since we saw each other, and I loved him first sight.

Now, I've been reading a lot about IRN to understand his behavior, body language and know how to properly and gently reward him when he does something right so I don't make him adapt any crazy behavior unconsciously.

Could you please give me any tips on that? He's a fast learner. But, I don't want to rush him nor to do anything that could make him to not trust me. I have noticed that he doesn't mind me putting my hands in the cage to grab something but, he doesn't like me to try to get him from the cage. He prefers me to wait for him to step out of the cage to interact with me.

And he also gets nervous when he's on my shoulder and my husband tries to tell him to step up. He tries to bite him all the time lol

OP
J

Juamy

Aug 11, 2022
Parrots
Kiwi
I am so glad you found us. I am thrilled and proud to see that members are already reaching out with great information and support.
Stick with us!
9lhIlM0.jpg
Yes! I love this forum ♥️ Thank you

OP
J

Juamy

Aug 11, 2022
Parrots
Kiwi
I think she’s beautiful and I am wondering if you can point out what you’re concerned about? What do you think is wrong? That would help us advise.

As I look at the photos more, I see she has a bit of a ragged and short tail. If she is a baby, that’s not a big deal. It’s called “baby tail.” When the chicks are staggering around in the nest box or first aquarium or cage, the tail gets rubbed a lot and a bit tattered.

If she’s an adult, I still think that her feathers and tail are ok. As she lives in her own cage in your home, she will gradually get in better condition. Some regular showers or baths will help, too.

What do you plan to feed her? Can you tell us more.
Hey!! Thank you for your reply!

He's 4 months old. And yes, that's exactly what the Vet said yesterday. He's feathers are roughed up from he's last cage, but he's healthy and I am thankful.

How can I gently invite him to bath ? I have placed a bowl with just water inside he's cage and he hasn't touched it at all.

He's food is a mix of seeds, but I have noticed that he is always looking to eat sunflowers.

Do you have any food recommendations? That would be very helpful as I am a first time birdmama. ♥️

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
Hey!! Thank you for your reply!

He's 4 months old. And yes, that's exactly what the Vet said yesterday. He's feathers are roughed up from he's last cage, but he's healthy and I am thankful.

How can I gently invite him to bath ? I have placed a bowl with just water inside he's cage and he hasn't touched it at all.

He's food is a mix of seeds, but I have noticed that he is always looking to eat sunflowers.

Do you have any food recommendations? That would be very helpful as I am a first time birdmama. ♥️
I would try to convert him from seed to pellets or at the very least not feed a seed mix with sunflower seeds in it. I have found taken some birds to the sink and having water at a very low stream will cause them to engage in bathing. The other thing would be to use a water bottle with a fine mist spray filled with warm water and mist him.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Your new baby is gorgeous!
I agree about removing the sunflower seed from his diet. I feed mine a mix of seeds and pellets, along with fresh chop twice a day.

For training, you want to go at his speed, just like you're doing.

This is a great thread about bonding:

Tips for Bonding and Building Trust

I highly recommend reading through this forum for diet tips, it's full of good info.

Parrot Food, Recipes and Diet

I'm so glad you joined us and I'm looking forward to hearing more about your journey with Kiwi!

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
My ringneck also was eating almost 100% sunflower seeds with some walnuts and almonds when I brought him home.

The links to those posts here helped me a lot!

I was worried he wouldn't eat enough if I tried too fast to change his diet so I gave him a seed mix AND different pellets, all an amount that if he only ate seeds he'd get enough food. I threw away a lot of food at first!

It took a while but now he eats pellets, seeds, and veggies. You'll have to let us know how it goes :) And if you take out the sunflower seeds from his meals, you have a good treat to use for training :)

For bathing I agree that different birds like different things - some like being misted (don't spray at him, but spray up into the air and let the drops fall on him, and if he moves away stop and try again later). Some birds will start bathing when they hear thunder or rainstorms - you can play the sounds on YouTube. Some birds love the sink. Kiwi has lots of new things to explore and decide his favorite!

Most Reactions

Latest posts