Herbs??? Olive Oil???

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
Can Zilla my OWA have the herbs I use to season my food? I know she can't have the salt, and I can live without much salt, but I do like to use fresh and dried herbs to add flavor.

I tend to use a lot of dill weed, oregano, rosemary, etc...

Also I know olives are bad for her, but can I use olive oil when I cook?

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Most dried and fresh herbs will be fine, I add different ones to my chop for the birds all the time.
While small amounts of olive oil aren't harmful you are really better off using unrefined coconut oil both for you and Zilla. It doesn't change the flavor of foods and is a much better for you oil.:)

OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Thanks!

I have the coconut oil, just never thought of using it to cook with. I originally got it to put on my 2 cats food for their dry skin issues (vet recommended it as opposed to some other things)

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Amanda, there are a plethora of websites with erroneous information on them & one saying companion birds can't have salt is wrong...as with all animals, parrots require an amount of salt in their diets, though I've never seen any table/chart specifying specie amounts, but the various clay licks in Central & South America all provide different salts for the parrots that congregate around them, as do the similar licks in other parts of the world.....the problem is that while salt is a necessity of life, too much can cause problems as parrots cannot easily discharge/secrete excess salt from their bodies like most animals can.....when reading questionable information, I like to trace the information/source back as far as I can, looking for a scientific basis for the information.....something more than anecdotal statements that can't be verified.....here is a link from back in 2007 that I've thought did a pretty good job of explaining parrots & salt:
Salt in Bird Diet | TheTameParrot.com - Let's Try To Solve Your Parrot Problems

One of the problems with un-verifiable information is that you often don't find any scientific study at least not independent studies...most of these studies are done for the benefit of one manufacturer and/or vendor with a vested interest in selling their idea/miracle product.....

All your listed herbs are fine also, as is olive oil, but olive oil can be fattening if served regularly.....maybe use less for your birds.....

Last edited:
OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Thanks for that article!

I wasn't meaning I don't give her anything with any salt, I just try to limit the amount I use when I cook, because I know there is salt in her pellets and in a lot of the foods we eat and I don't want to over due it.

And she would be heartbroken if I ate in front of her and didn't share!

Most Reactions