Hey! Meet my bird.

Aras

Jun 27, 2012
Media
Parrots
Tintin (Yellow-naped Amazon)
I live in Sweden, currently away from my family and bird for university. I've been visiting this site a couple of times and created a profile but I haven't posted anything yet so this would be a good place to start.

My bird's name is Tintin (yellow naped amazon) and I've had him ever since he was about 5 months old I think. He's 8 years old now.

I'm always concerned about him as neither me or my family really knew much about taking care of birds (we only got so much information from his breeder), so sometimes I feel bad for him. I was a kid when I had him and I can't say I was very good to him. I didn't torture him but I teased him a lot, birds don't like it when you touch their wings and I did it anyway because I liked the noises he made from it. Yeah..it haunts me even today.

Today he seems to be pretty healthy, but I still feel very bad for him. I like to speak to him when we're alone but I definitely think I should communicate more with him. He used to talk a lot when he was younger, now he doesn't do it as much, although he says Hi and Goodnight very often (goodnight only when we're about to go to bed, I love it). I sometimes watch a lot of parrot videos and he behaves nothing like the ones I see, I've never seen him rock his whole body up and down like I see a lot of birds do for instance.

Another thing about him is that he can get aggressive outside the cage but when he's inside he's as calm as a bird can get. It's embarrassing that I don't know why and why I haven't tried to educate myself enough.

Anyway, other than that he's very sweet and cuddly and when he's calm outside of the cage he's the best. Here's a quick video of him. Maybe this site can help me get more involved and build a better relationship with him.
[ame=http://youtu.be/TRWsV7VHgxU]Me petting him.[/ame]

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Hi aras! Just wondering, does he have many toys to play with? From this angle none were visible. He's awfully cute, and seems to enjoy your company.

OP
Aras

Aras

Jun 27, 2012
Media
Parrots
Hi aras! Just wondering, does he have many toys to play with? From this angle none were visible. He's awfully cute, and seems to enjoy your company.
Yeah, we've tied his toys up his ceiling =) he plays with them either when he's out on top on the cage or upside down inside the cage. I wanna get him more, admittedly he doesn't have that many. They consist mostly of plushies with big hard eyes and stuff that he likes to tear apart.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
He will definately perk up with more toys and interaction, he seems to crave your company, just by his expression and demeanor when you approached. Something with bright colors, bells, and shreddables would stimulate him more. He's adorable, and it's great that you're trying to improve your relationship. All's it takes is time and patience...he's a gorgeous boy and totally worth it.

OP
Aras

Aras

Jun 27, 2012
Media
Parrots
He will definately perk up with more toys and interaction, he seems to crave your company, just by his expression and demeanor when you approached. Something with bright colors, bells, and shreddables would stimulate him more. He's adorable, and it's great that you're trying to improve your relationship. All's it takes is time and patience...he's a gorgeous boy and totally worth it.
I'll definitely make sure he gets that. Thank you =) and yeah he is, I like him so much!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
He's such a sweet baby in that video!!!! You guys have done well since he's sweet in that video and looking quite healthy.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
OMG he is gorgeous
Looks so lovable and sweet
I love the name Tintin

A lot of birds are aggressive outside their cages, remember their cage is their "home" where they feel safe and secure.
Have you tried placing Tintin on a portable play stand, near his cage?.
If placed on the play stand, he will have the option of spending time outside his cage, hopefully chatting and playing with you.

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
And pair of African Greys
In addition to what Antoinette wrote you could try a clicker training when outside the cage. It could redirect his attention from aggression and it is also very good way to spend quality time with your bird.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Welcome to the forum, Aras & TinTin. :D WHAT a cute name for your gorgeous boy!!

I'm glad you joined us here. :) I agree with the others, please try and provide TinTin with more toys, also some foraging toys, which will give him something to do.

Does he have a play area outside of his cage? A simple T-stand can make a GREAT start for training and teaching him new things.

OP
Aras

Aras

Jun 27, 2012
Media
Parrots
You guys are so great with your words and advice.

I'll try to give him some more foraging toys. We used to put an apple on a stick on his wall so he had to climb up to it but it's gone for some reason.

He doesn't have a stand, it's something I want him to have though. I've been thinking of building one myself but if it's easy to find good ones in stores I might as well buy him one.

Clicker training is interesting, I'll have to read up on it more and see if I can apply it on him. =)

OP
Aras

Aras

Jun 27, 2012
Media
Parrots
What a beautiful Amazon! He sure enjoys the scratches you were giving him...he seemed to be annoyed that you stopped :D

He can't get enough! :D I think I could stand there with him for hours and hours, he just can't get enough. Sometimes he puts his head down as soon as I come close to his cage.

Bynnie

May 18, 2013
Media
Boston, MA area
Parrots
I have
Cheeky, my green cheek conure, and Cinnamon, my GCC cinnamon mutation.
And I cannot forget my little Yuki, a small all white parakeet
welcome, I'm pretty new here myself.
looks like you have a sweet bird.
take care.:)

LePokemonNerd

May 27, 2013
What a handsome bird! I'm getting a bird in less than a week, probably around 2 days! We're planning on an African Grey! Welcome, even though u joined before me lol!

Most Reactions

Latest posts