Hey there!

cloudyhelium

Jun 15, 2022
Parrots
Red-lored amazon hybrid
So, I'm Arthur, I'm 17 and I'm new to the forum!
I must say I come from a family that sees birds as ornaments, we had budgies when I was little and I fell in love with birds since.

A few years back we were given a red-lored amazon and she's been living as a seed junkie in a small cage, I've always felt bad about her since she hasn't been out of there since I can remember so the past few months I've been building trust with her and last week she let me take her out of the cage (she's even afraid of perches because my grandmother used to poke her with a stick as a way to get back at her for biting).

I decided to name her Babe and I've made it my mission that this bird lives a better life, out of the cage. She's very attached to my grandfather which I think is ironic since he's the first one to treat the bird as a toy and refuses to feed her anything else than sunflower seeds. So you can only imagine how anxious and aggressive the poor thing is, I'm planning on taking her with me when I move out since I feel like she's only going to pluck her feathers further in here but I'm not sure if it'll take a toll on her and I came here to ask for advice, thank you so much for reading if you made it this far.

Edit: sorry for the messed-up writing, sleep deprivation will do things to u

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220615-173045_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220615-173045_Gallery.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 154
  • Screenshot_20220615-173017_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220615-173017_Gallery.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
1) you're awesome...

2) Gimme more pictures!!!! Some back a and tail feathers!

Also ask anything! We are here to help! I hope you can get a bigger cage.

OP
cloudyhelium

cloudyhelium

Jun 15, 2022
Parrots
Red-lored amazon hybrid
1) you're awesome...

Thank you ^^
Here are some pictures for ya! I think she's been plucking her back but I haven't seen any tail feathers...

Attachments

• 20220615_204639.jpg
    20220615_204639.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 113
  • 20220615_204224.jpg
    20220615_204224.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 20220615_204228.jpg
    20220615_204228.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 112
  • 20220615_204346.jpg
    20220615_204346.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 112
  • 20220615_204152.jpg
    20220615_204152.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 105

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Welcome to the forum to you and Babe! Bless you for making sure this beauty has a better life.
Are you sure she is a Red-lored? I have never seen one with red below the beak. My guy only has a little patch of red above his beak. She is gorgeous.

I'm thrilled you are here, and I can't wait to watch your journey together.

OP
cloudyhelium

cloudyhelium

Jun 15, 2022
Parrots
Red-lored amazon hybrid
Wow!
So glad you found us and joined!!
Look at that gorgeous girl and how she loves you!!!

Thank you thank you for stepping up!! You are amazing!

Wow!
So glad you found us and joined!!
Look at that gorgeous girl and how she loves you!!!

Thank you thank you for stepping up!! You are amazing!!!
She's a good bird ^^ she's very cuddly and likes to mimic water (the cutest thing I've ever heard).

She does freak out and bites when there are people she doesn't like but I understand, poor Babe is stressed

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm loving the pictures @

Glad you are working on diet. It can be challenging with an older seed addicted birds. But they really need tge nutrients from some fresh stuff and they really can learn to love it!

Because seeds lack vitamin A. Some great foods thst are rich in vitamin A and are often liked right away. Baked sweet potatoes then mash up sbd serve warm. Roasted carrots. And yellow or orange bell pepper. South American parrots often take to peppers right away. They can eat hit ones as well as they don't taste tge "heat" like we do. Mine like red chili pepper a lot! So give peppers a try.

OP
cloudyhelium

cloudyhelium

Jun 15, 2022
Parrots
Red-lored amazon hybrid
Welcome to the forum to you and Babe! Bless you, for making sure this beauty has a better life.
Are you sure she is a Red-lored? I have never seen one with red below the beak. My guy only has a little patch of red above his beak. She is gorgeous.

I'm thrilled you are here, and I can't wait to watch your journey together.
Thank you! ^^

I'm not 100% sure she is but it's my best guess yet. The only background info I have about her is that some Argentinean guy gave it to my uncle who then gave it to my grandparents so I'm not sure how old she is either she started cooing lately but I'm not sure if that tells me anything about her age :\
Here's a picture of the back of her head age does have some blueish feathers there

Attachments

• 20220615_210457.jpg
    20220615_210457.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 20220615_210453_001.jpg
    20220615_210453_001.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 79

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Some diet tips

OP
cloudyhelium

cloudyhelium

Jun 15, 2022
Parrots
Red-lored amazon hybrid
I'm loving the pictures @

Glad you are working on diet. It can be challenging with an older seed addicted birds. But they really need tge nutrients from some fresh stuff and they really can learn to love it!

Because seeds lack vitamin A. Some great foods thst are rich in vitamin A and are often liked right away. Baked sweet potatoes then mash up sbd serve warm. Roasted carrots. And yellow or orange bell pepper. South American parrots often take to peppers right away. They can eat hit ones as well as they don't taste tge "heat" as we do. Mine like red chili pepper a lot! So give peppers a try.
Thank you SO MUCH I got her to eat half a carrot today! and I'll certainly try peppers, Again thank you so much for the tip!

OP
cloudyhelium

cloudyhelium

Jun 15, 2022
Parrots
Red-lored amazon hybrid
1) you're awesome...

By the way! Do you have any tips on helping the feather plucking? I've read about toys but she's still afraid of everything it's not food, she's only showed interest in a black ball of yarn, I hope someday I can see her destroy stuff and screech more u.u

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Thank you! ^^

I'm not 100% sure she is but it's my best guess yet. The only background info I have about her is that some Argentinean guy gave it to my uncle who then gave it to my grandparents so I'm not sure how old she is either she started cooing lately but I'm not sure if that tells me anything about her age :\
Here's a picture of the back of her head age does have some blueish feathers there
I have no idea what she is, but she is gorgeous. She may be a hybrid of some sort.
I asked our resident Amazon expert @SailBoat to have a look when he's online again.

By the way! Do you have any tips on helping the feather plucking? I've read about toys but she's still afraid of everything it's not food, she's only showed interest in a black ball of yarn, I hope someday I can see her destroy stuff and screech more u.u
The yarn would be dangerous for her, so I wouldn't let her have that. Several of my birds were scared of toys when they came to me, and I would hang a toy outside the cage at a distance far enough not to freak them out, and keep moving it closer as they get used to it. Then when I'm at the cage I hang it on the outside, and only move it in when they didn't show fear anymore.
Shreddables are great for birds who are plucking as well as preening toys.
I use paper cupcake holders to wrap a treat in and most of my birds love that.

OP
cloudyhelium

cloudyhelium

Jun 15, 2022
Parrots
Red-lored amazon hybrid
I have no idea what she is, but she is gorgeous. She may be a hybrid of some sort.
I asked our resident Amazon expert @SailBoat to have a look when he's online again.

The yarn would be dangerous for her, so I wouldn't let her have that. Several of my birds were scared of toys when they came to me, and I would hang a toy outside the cage at a distance far enough not to freak them out, and keep moving it closer as they get used to it. Then when I'm at the cage I hang it on the outside, and only move it in when they didn't show fear anymore.
Shreddables are great for birds who are plucking as well as preening toys.
I use paper cupcake holders to wrap a treat in and most of my birds love that.
Alright so no more yarn for her, thanks! :'0

I have some paper holders so maybe I can try some popcorn (they are her absolute favorite snack)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
My birds love popcorn too! Just make sure it is plain (doesn't have added salt or butter) and you are good to go:)
I hope she likes the idea. I make a lot of toys, even for my big birds, using cupcake holders.

OP
cloudyhelium

cloudyhelium

Jun 15, 2022
Parrots
Red-lored amazon hybrid
My birds love popcorn too! Just make sure it is plain (doesn't have added salt or butter) and you are good to go:)
I hope she likes the idea. I make a lot of toys, even for my big birds, using cupcake holders.
I do! I like to buy the kernels and put them in a pot in the stove top ^^
I also happen to like plain popcorn better :D

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Beautiful bird and thanks for helping.

She looks like a hybrid.
a YouTuber
has a hybrid named Leo that looks just like your bird.

Most Reactions

Latest posts