Hi all, newbie here from Winnipeg aka(winterpeg) Canada

toonsis98

May 19, 2013
Hi all, I'm Charlene and I have a addiction. It use to be pets,,cats and dogs but now it's BIRDS. Atm I have 6 cockatiels and a week ago I adopted 2 conure parrots. Emerson is a seven year old red throated sometimes sweetheart and Cinder is a GCC. To put it plain, I need help. Emerson the RTC bites. It has gotten worse over the week. He attacks my hands and yesterday went for my hand and then my arm, and drew blood both times. Atm I have about ten bites on my fingers and arm. As I said, Emerson is seven years old and this is his fifth rehome and I am determined that it will be his last. When he is not going after my hands, he is the sweetest little guy, will sit on my shoulder and chatter up a storm and gives the sweetest kisses.
Now a little about myself...I am on the shady side of old age and have been a animal fanatic all my life. I am divorced (praise the lord) and live alone with my birds, cats and dogs. I am a retired postal worker whom has become visually impaired. My main interests are my animals, gardening. Well, gardening as much as you can do with four months of summer, lol. I am glad I have found this form. I am sure it's going to help me with Emerson and Cinder. TTYL
:21:

Devann

Aug 2, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Vino - Alexandrine, Spot - Congo African Grey
Welcome fellow Canadian! Just give him lots of love and show him you're not a threat. Also try not to react when he bites. I find its best to completely ignore bad behavior and reward and praise the good like crazy

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Hello Charlene and welcome to the forum. :)

You've come to the right place for questions and/or concerns.

Your flock sounds lovely!!! Would you happen to have some pictures to share with us?

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Welcome to the forum that belongs to the birds and their human slaves lol.

I'd also love to see photos, tiels come in such cool patterns :D

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Welcome Charlene
Wow we all suffer from the same addiction BIRDS
Take a seat make yourself comfortable, it's going to be the most pleasant journey of you life

Enjoy our wonderful forum

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
And pair of African Greys
Hi all, I'm Charlene and I have a addiction. It use to be pets,,cats and dogs but now it's BIRDS. Atm I have 6 cockatiels and a week ago I adopted 2 conure parrots. Emerson is a seven year old red throated sometimes sweetheart and Cinder is a GCC. To put it plain, I need help. Emerson the RTC bites. It has gotten worse over the week. He attacks my hands and yesterday went for my hand and then my arm, and drew blood both times. Atm I have about ten bites on my fingers and arm. As I said, Emerson is seven years old and this is his fifth rehome and I am determined that it will be his last. When he is not going after my hands, he is the sweetest little guy, will sit on my shoulder and chatter up a storm and gives the sweetest kisses.
Now a little about myself...I am on the shady side of old age and have been a animal fanatic all my life. I am divorced (praise the lord) and live alone with my birds, cats and dogs. I am a retired postal worker whom has become visually impaired. My main interests are my animals, gardening. Well, gardening as much as you can do with four months of summer, lol. I am glad I have found this form. I am sure it's going to help me with Emerson and Cinder. TTYL
:21:

You are very welcome. This one is a great forum here.
Like yourself I always loved dogs, but know have converted to the "bird's faith":p. I can suggest clicker target training for that biting problem.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
welcome to the forum Charlene- I live in Ontario, but have family in Winnipeg.
you've come to the right place for info, we chat about plenty of things on here.

would love to see some pictures of you birds, as for the one biting, I'm not good at training, I'll be the first to admit that :) but maybe just let him settle in and come to you on his own...hopefully he won't bite, OUCH!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Me too! I'd like to see pics!

I'll be in your shoes next month with a slightly older bird!

As far as biting, it really helps to not get bitten! I know, easier said than done! But the only bite that can't be rewarded is the one that doesn't occur! In other words, try to avoid situations that will result in a bite.

Birds bite for a reason, and it's not to dominate or boss you around! It's most often because they don't trust you, they are telling you "No!" or "I don't like this", they are afraid, they are startled, or for some other reason! You need to figure out what that reason is, so that you can work with Emerson!

Clicker training can go a long ways into teaching your bird what to do and how to behave! It is a form of communication when you learn to work together! It's about learning to understand each other. It gives them direction.

Welcome to the forum!

MissTaz

May 11, 2013
Utah
Parrots
Rory ~ A male turquoise green cheek conure ~ Hatched 02-12-2013
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on your two conures!

Most Reactions